People want this game to die, even more than it actually is? Why even!

#1 Posted by Vardoom (8 posts) -
All I see is flaming and hatred towards this game, I was skeptical of the game at one point myself but overall it's a solid game. I don't know how many of you can condemn it based upon small issues, that can easily be overlooked. I'm seeing a a reoccurring pattern of every mmo release failing horribly, yet have people every thought to assume that perhaps mmo standards are just too high these days? A game like TSW would have been considered groundbreaking years ago, even if the graphics were to back then's standards the gameplay elements would still trump games of that era such as Anarchy Online, Vanilla WoW, ect... TL:DR version; MMO's aren't living up to people's standards not because they're overall bad games, but because mmo fans have raised the bar too high on quality, even the bad mmo's released today have more ingenuity than the early mmo's. The reason why in 2011-2012 MMO's have been given negative review, is because the entire MMO formula and goals in the gamse have been outgrown by the players expectation. Perhaps MMO's have just reached their growth potential and they can't be improved upon no matter how many genuine content or gameplay mechanics, or graphical improvements.
#2 Posted by StSk8ter29 (1803 posts) -

I couldn't agree more. It's really unfortunate that there is so much hatred toward the modern MMORPG. The games have all drastically improved since the days of Everquest and Ultima. World of Warcraft raised the bar for quality and ease of access. Unfortunately, it seems as if people have a problem leaving it behind.

New MMORPGS make more attempts to limit the level grind associated with the classic style of gameplay. For instance, The Secret World focuses on story driven tasks that are introduced by fully voiced characters; therefore providing a sense of purpose. It also ditches the traditional leveling system for weapon quality levels. I'm really enjoying the fact that the "experience bar" doesn't slow down as you "level up" in The Secret World. If I really like the first dungeon, I'll still get quite a bit of experience from helping people complete it. In this way there's a huge sense of freedom that you just didn't have in World of Warcraft.

This isn't to say that some mmos aren't bad, they can be. I simply believe that people should enjoy the games for what they are instead of complaining about what their not.

Basically, I believe younger mmo fans are more spoiled than they understand.

#3 Posted by badvb (14 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vardoom"] even if the graphics were to back then's standards the gameplay elements would still trump games of that era such as Anarchy Online, Vanilla WoW, ect... TL:DR version; MMO's aren't living up to people's standards not because they're overall bad games, but because mmo fans have raised the bar too high on quality, even the bad mmo's released today have more ingenuity than the early mmo's. The reason why in 2011-2012 MMO's have been given negative review, is because the entire MMO formula and goals in the gamse have been outgrown by the players expectation. Perhaps MMO's have just reached their growth potential and they can't be improved upon no matter how many genuine content or gameplay mechanics, or graphical improvements.

You are wrong, first Vanilla WoW had more content, even though instanced PvP and raids were not in release, and much better combat so it was a better game from the core. AO was a disaster of a game so anything in the last 8 years beats that one. The issue with MMOs today is they try to be to much of a single player RPG and very little like an MMO that can be played for years. TSW didn't improve combat or game mechanics. Most of the skill wheel abilities where thrown in with very little care. There are popular modern MMOs, WoW, SWTOR, Aion, EvE. Those MMOs do combat better and often something else, PvP, or sandbox, or raiding, or in SWTOR's case just more stories. GW2 comes out in a month and will do very well, which goes against the people just hate MMOs theory.
#4 Posted by rudrick (17 posts) -

many peoples hete yourself

#5 Posted by Bishop-282 (2 posts) -
no actually i played wow since beta/launch and the content difference between TSW and WoW are about the same, TSW if not more, it already has bg;s and pvp which wow did not, only after months did they start doing bg's and instances are about the same so i dont know where you are getting your facts from, have you played TSW??????????????????
#6 Posted by badvb (14 posts) -
no actually i played wow since beta/launch and the content difference between TSW and WoW are about the same, TSW if not more, it already has bg;s and pvp which wow did not, only after months did they start doing bg's and instances are about the same so i dont know where you are getting your facts from, have you played TSW??????????????????Bishop-282
Yes and I also played WoW, wow had way more PvP at release. the TM/SS zerg and random world PvP at release were much better than anything TSW has. WoW also had much more space to roam. TSW is a pretty mediocre game, check out the review scores. I don't play WoW anymore, but like you did back in the day and it was an amazing game and that is why it got high review scores and has tons of players. Also, the factions were more balanced in WoW, TSW has 9 out of 10 people playing Templar which makes the PvP sad. At release WoW had better group instances by a long shot, TSW are the worst ever, much worse than any main stream MMO in the past 13 years. Aion had issues with some end bosses but was still better and Aion's PvP blows TSW's away, is why millions play Aion- it is a PvP game. There are to many good games to play today, so there is zero reason anyone should be playing TSW. The reviews rate it like an average game but as an MMO it is even worse.
#7 Posted by Rackjaw (104 posts) -

Old school MMO player here and I uninstalled the beta after 10 Minutes of playing because the animations were horrible. I don't care how good the rest of the game might be, the crap combat & animations are a total deal breaker for me.

Its 2012, I expect more from developers and if they're too lazy to get such a basic thing right, I doubt the rest is done with a greater level of finesse.

#8 Posted by Rackjaw (104 posts) -

Old school MMO player here and I uninstalled the beta after 10 Minutes of playing because the animations were horrible. I don't care how good the rest of the game might be, the crap combat & animations are a total deal breaker for me.

Its 2012, I expect more from developers and if they're too lazy to get such a basic thing right, I doubt the rest is done with a greater level of finesse.

#9 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -
i don't even care about PVP. that should not be a selling point of a game we look for based on the past few years. 99% of games it's tacked on and utterly terrible or unbalanced. let's say WoW does have the best PVP ever and will always have it. that's fine, 1 game out of many managed to succeed at something where other MMO's might as well not even bothered with it and still become relatively successful or at least have a decent sized dedicated playerbase. it's not a standard we should expect based on the past few years a few of the skills do look completely useless or they're just a minor variant of another skill. but enough of them do create a unique synergy to the point that it's awesome being able to tweak the most minor differences in your attack rotation. I really hated the game at first but it grew on me. the whole Funcom selling TSW as something different than a tank/healer/dps party game did not pan out at all, it's exactly that still, but I'm glad it is, MMO's should have roles and not just a bunch of people spamming damage skills mindlessly beating bosses. I still can't see myself playing anymore once I finish all current quests which takes less time than alot of people think, let alone when I have unlocked every skill in the game on 1 character. these monthly updates they're hyping up is too tall of an order for a genre that people are losing patience with they're going to need a miracle, I hope I'm wrong and they surprise everyone with alot of content. i'm guilty of playing it like a single player game, I probably do 1 instance group on most days. the #1 reason I still play are the quest stories and world I guess. i think I got my money's worth if I'm done before the 2nd or 3rd billing cycle. I really did not think I would stick with, the combat is decent IMO but the world itself does seem to pick up the slack. my free month is almost up and I'll definately buy 1 more month at the least. WoW's combat kept me playing, or PVP goals, but the quest lore wasn't the least bit interesting, or very typical, sometimes abysmal. speaking of which the first monthly is today and they're finally putting a damned auctionhouse in the game LOL