The spiritual successor to the early Final Fantasy games.

User Rating: 10 | The Last Story WII
If you like JRPGs, then this is a real treat. One of the few games that I've made the time to finish all the way through in recent years, The Last Story takes the classic turn-based JRPG style of the best Final Fantasy games and makes it fresh, new and exciting. The combat system is this game's greatest strength; a combination of real-time hack-and-slash and menu-driven strategy that becomes an absolute joy to play and master.

The graphics are pushing the Wii to its very limit, so expect a bit of slow-down now and again but nothing to spoil the fun. I really like the way this game looks.

It's an easy game to beat thanks to its clever design. You'll never find yourself in a situation where it's impossible to proceed because you haven't gained the necessary XP to defeat a particular boss. At strategic points throughout the game you're able to summon enemies in order to level up. Brilliant.

A great JRPG needs a great story and great characters, and again The Last Story doesn't disappoint. This is probably the best localization of a Japanese game into English ever. The voice work is absolutely perfect with various regional British accents fleshing out the characters superbly. The soft Scottish of ladies-man Lowell and the rowdy Manc of Syrenne are particularly good examples.

It took me about 25 hours to finish the game, and I didn't do all the side quests, so although it's not as huge as some RPGs, there's still plenty of value here. There's even online multiplayer and the ability to revist certain bosses. And let's not forget the fantastic score by legendary Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu.

In my opinion, this is the best game on the Wii and a must have for JRPG fans.