On the Ending extreme spoiler alert!! (do not view if you have not finished)

#1 Posted by theuprightman01 (36 posts) -

I'm with Joel,

Spoiler Below

I would save Ellie,

Spock says that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, does this apply to the many of the world of the last of us, would you sacrifice Ellie for the good of man kind as it has survived in the game (the bits that we see anyway)?

Dose the human race shown in the game really deserve the sacrifice of this little girl, a society that has fractured and broken down under the stress of the infection,  the military, the hunters, the fireflies, does they deserve this little girls life? do the others who who lived in the the zones or in there own community deserve better they ignore the problem except when it directly threatens them.

Heavy stuff yes, but that kinda what the game bring up, anybody got any thoughts

#2 Posted by thatguy2001 (95 posts) -

I would have done what Joel did also. He is one tough bastard.

#3 Posted by rusty217 (238 posts) -

Completely agree with Joel.

Any people willing to sacrifice an innocent kid don't deserve to be saved.

#4 Posted by BigDawgSteve420 (106 posts) -

Surprising ending to be sure but ya I think OP brings up a good point, the way society decayed from the epidemic, does it really deserve to be saved? Even if the epidimec is cured, things would never be the same again, and heck, it could get even worse with the fireflies becoming super-corrupt in holding out the cure.  Joel did the right thing, but a bigger question is how can they survive in Jackson with no one ever knowing their secret???  Also, what about Joel's brother, won't he be wondering whatever happened with taking her to the Fireflies and finding the cure???

#5 Posted by gigk9 (113 posts) -

I agree as well, And besides wouldn't a cure by that point be almost pointless? The way I see it the damage was already done and cure by this point wouldn't really help as much as it would of say at the start of the whole mess.

#6 Posted by northypoley (1672 posts) -
I'll like to think that humanity could still survive despite not having the cure (assuming that a cure would be made with Ellie's sacrifice). The little town at the end grew, they had maintainable power and live stock. This situation would be analogous to humans living in harsh conditions, perhaps even akin to natural disasters. We don't necessarily need to 'cure' tornadoes or earthquakes, but we need to "endure and survive" despite it all. And as history proves, we still survive. The spore is no different, sure it is destructive, but I think the scene at the end of the game showed hope that humans can live on. That is what I think about the ending, please give me any comments or feed back!
#7 Posted by jcpangs (98 posts) -

I would let them kill ellie to save mankind.. just what GOD did to his son jesus christ.. now if I could have a minute of your time I would like to talk about it..

#8 Posted by M413FIK-E (78 posts) -

I honestly thought that Joel was going to end up dieing, I am glad he didnt. I would say that there is going to be a second game where the Fireflies are going to hunt Joel, and Ellie down. I have played many games and this is the only game where I actually teared up a few times aside from the Red Dead Reemption ending. Naughty Dog, makes amazing games, I cant wait to see what they have in store for the PS4.

#9 Posted by theuprightman01 (36 posts) -

I hope ND dont go back to Joel and Ellie, i loved their story, and i loved how it ended I dont want to know what happens next i hope the let us take what we want from the ending and move on, just my opinion

#10 Posted by Infinite_Access (2480 posts) -
I actually found myself with Joel.... but I wouldn't have lied straight to Ellie's face about it though. He should have come clean about it. He should have given her the chance to make the choice herself (to sacrifice herself). The fireflies did not.. so he was in the right by saving her. He however did not give her a choice either. He instead lied for selfish reasons (not losing his "little girl" again)
#11 Posted by gigk9 (113 posts) -

I just feel like the ending left a little bit too much too the imagination, I mean the whole thing with ellie and the cure and shit was fine but I mean like the direct ending, It's implied that Ellie has atleast some notion the joel is lying through his f**king teeth which makes me wonder where the relationship between the two of them went from there. Plus I dont think we got too see enough of joel's brother who seemed like a very important character, And personally I felt it almost necessary for joel to die for his character type, Some kind of sacrifice for the greater good sort of deal.

#12 Posted by tu2pac (785 posts) -

It's funny how you forget about the promise he made to Tess.

His final choice was a bit of a shock to me only for this reason. They traveled that far and that long ... due to a promise ... and then he changed his mind ... for selfish reasons. Yes. Selfish reasons. He even tried to end the trip early and Ellie said no, they had to go on.

It's an interesting look at people after the collapse.

#13 Posted by Hwdareu87 (135 posts) -

I actually found myself with Joel.... but I wouldn't have lied straight to Ellie's face about it though. He should have come clean about it. He should have given her the chance to make the choice herself (to sacrifice herself). The fireflies did not.. so he was in the right by saving her. He however did not give her a choice either. He instead lied for selfish reasons (not losing his "little girl" again)Infinite_Access

How was him lying to Ellie selfish? She is a 14 year old girl, you think any decision she would make that young of age would be the same decision she would have made if she was Joels age? I know when I was 14 I had a girlfriend that I thought I was going to marry and spend the rest of my life with, but looking back at it now i just liked that she let me touch her boobs.

Joel was protecting her from herself, because she lives in a world where thoughts of killing herself shouldn't be dwelled on. Joel knew nothing would be different if he did let them kill her, but Ellie thought otherwise. He cant tell Ellie that, as it was obvious in the later chapters that Ellie was depressed about something so her choice would have most likely been for them to kill her. She would have done that because she isn't happy with the life she is living now, and thought that maybe if she just let them kill her at least some good would come from her death. Joel saw that she could be happy if she was with him, that they could start a life together. The truth is too harmful for Ellie, as she would dwell on that choice Joel made for the rest of her life; as i said above, thoughts like that in a world like the one they live in is too damaging to stay with you the rest of your life.

#14 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

I would let them kill ellie to save mankind.. just what GOD did to his son jesus christ.. now if I could have a minute of your time I would like to talk about it..

jcpangs

lol. I agree. One life means NOTHING compared to the human race. But this game was about Joel not being able to care about anything... turning into Joel that cares so much about Ellie that he sacrifices mankind to save her. I personally think it's unthinkable not to sacrifice her for the better good. Although I would at least ask her first so she could be a hero (and you know from the end she would have said yes).

If anyone asked me that, I'd be like hell yeah -- rip my brain up if it will save everybody.

#15 Posted by Infinite_Access (2480 posts) -

[QUOTE="Infinite_Access"]I actually found myself with Joel.... but I wouldn't have lied straight to Ellie's face about it though. He should have come clean about it. He should have given her the chance to make the choice herself (to sacrifice herself). The fireflies did not.. so he was in the right by saving her. He however did not give her a choice either. He instead lied for selfish reasons (not losing his "little girl" again)Hwdareu87

How was him lying to Ellie selfish? She is a 14 year old girl, you think any decision she would make that young of age would be the same decision she would have made if she was Joels age? I know when I was 14 I had a girlfriend that I thought I was going to marry and spend the rest of my life with, but looking back at it now i just liked that she let me touch her boobs.

Joel was protecting her from herself, because she lives in a world where thoughts of killing herself shouldn't be dwelled on. Joel knew nothing would be different if he did let them kill her, but Ellie thought otherwise. He cant tell Ellie that, as it was obvious in the later chapters that Ellie was depressed about something so her choice would have most likely been for them to kill her. She would have done that because she isn't happy with the life she is living now, and thought that maybe if she just let them kill her at least some good would come from her death. Joel saw that she could be happy if she was with him, that they could start a life together. The truth is too harmful for Ellie, as she would dwell on that choice Joel made for the rest of her life; as i said above, thoughts like that in a world like the one they live in is too damaging to stay with you the rest of your life.

The problem.. Ellie isn't a "normal" 14 year old girl. She grew up in this crazy world. She had to grow up a lot faster than most young people. She was probably mentally an 18 or 20 year old. (ofcourse with some little deviation here and there).
#16 Posted by jgreene007 (1 posts) -
I'm gonna drop a mild spoiler for the season finale of Game of Thrones (if you haven't by this point seen it) I equate Joel's saving of Ellie with Davos' saving of Gendry in the Thrones finale. "What is the life of one bastard boy against a kingdom" "Everything." Joel says that you find the thing that keeps you going. The thing keeping Joel going is that there is at least one thing about the world that hasn't literally turned rotten. That person is worth saving.
#17 Posted by Hwdareu87 (135 posts) -

Honestly very irrelevant. You think a 18-20 year old knows anything about life? Even so, Ellie only had a year of experience of the outside world as she was raised in a quarantine zone her whole life.

#18 Posted by gigk9 (113 posts) -

I just don't like the fact that Joel lied too Ellie cauase you can tell Ellie know's on some level, I agree with everyone in saying it was for the best but I don't like the idea of that coming up in the future for those too and it destroying the relationship between the both of them, Which is why I don't like the point the game ended at, I think they should of gave us a little while longer too kinda see where things go from there.

#19 Posted by pawq4 (476 posts) -

I think that the ending was the best in any video game that I've played. It was Breaking Bad level. It wasn't very satisfying, because life is not that satisfying. The way that Naughty Dog built up those characters was amazing. It was completely in-character for Joel to act out like that at the end and then lie about it. He is a flawed human being just like the rest of us. I think that the ending was ambiguous because that is how things happen. Joel might never know if Ellie knows the truth or not, but I think that she knew he was lying and decided just to go along with it. Earlier in the game she said that she is scared of being alone forever, and we know that she would not want to give that up.

#20 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

I think that the ending was the best in any video game that I've played. It was Breaking Bad level. It wasn't very satisfying, because life is not that satisfying. The way that Naughty Dog built up those characters was amazing. It was completely in-character for Joel to act out like that at the end and then lie about it. He is a flawed human being just like the rest of us. I think that the ending was ambiguous because that is how things happen. Joel might never know if Ellie knows the truth or not, but I think that she knew he was lying and decided just to go along with it. Earlier in the game she said that she is scared of being alone forever, and we know that she would not want to give that up.

pawq4

I think the best ending in a video game has got to be Bioshock Infinite. And I think the ending might be too ambiguous because they're setting up a sequel.

#21 Posted by pawq4 (476 posts) -

[QUOTE="pawq4"]

DaRq_MiNoS

I think the best ending in a video game has got to be Bioshock Infinite. 

I have to disagree with you there. The ending of Infinite felt forced, like the devs had to come up with it at the last minute. I really dislike how it keeps throwing plot twist after plot twist at you for twenty minutes.

#22 Posted by mindownload (1 posts) -

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

[QUOTE="pawq4"]

pawq4

I think the best ending in a video game has got to be Bioshock Infinite. 

I have to disagree with you there. The ending of Infinite felt forced, like the devs had to come up with it at the last minute. I really dislike how it keeps throwing plot twist after plot twist at you for twenty minutes.

True, ive played both. The two have quite similar theme of parenthood, sacrifies and redemption. But TLOU ending just feel more human, the choices were always there and be known all along, its people were the ones that have changed through the journey. 

#23 Posted by AdrielD (13 posts) -

I wrote most of my thoughts about the ending and some of the things leading up to it on my blog if you want to check it out.

http://heardbothways.blogspot.com/2013/06/reflections-last-of-us-ending-explained.html

But yeah I would have saved Ellie too, the way the whole hospital deal played out didn't sit right.  Ellie was never given a choice and the fact you weren't allowed to see her sealed it fo me.  Not to mention I wouldn't give a shit about a vaccine for what's left of humanity.

In the end this is easily the greatest story I've experienced in a video game and it's one I just can't stop thinking about.  As much as I'm desperate for more I don't think I want a sequel.

#24 Posted by DarthJoe77 (21 posts) -

i totaly agree with joel. i made a topic about my feelings on the ending but i can see it anymore seems to have vanished. but what i said basicly;

yes, i would have saved ellie. never sacrifise one to save many. i say this because 1 life is just as important as the next. and a civilisation that is build on from the death of another surly can not be civilized. also there was no garuntie that they could get a cure from her, they already had made a vacine before eveything whent **** up and that did not work. also lets say she was sacrificed and the cure worked how would they have got it to other people. you saw how hard it was out there most who leave the safe zones end up dead, not to mention if a group of firefiles turned up at a safe zone the millitery would just shoot them for rebelling against them, they would not trust them and think it a trap. thats if they where not killed by clickers or hunters on the way there. also even if the did get the cure out there, they would have to take care of all the infected ad hunters. then to rebuild and recleam earth it would take years and years. plus there would be a good chance if the cure happned and the infected where taken care of people would break up in to groups and form there own government then go to war over the land they want to clame. so for all those reason i would save ellie and not let her die, even if the world was not as messed up and people still had control the death of 1 person is a crime and what sort of civilisation would break its number 1 law especially if its a little girl.

#25 Posted by Tadewing (13 posts) -

There is still a future: Ellie's children.

Her children's children will become the next-gen humans. Probably.