Improvements for Elder Scrolls VI (updated)

#1 Posted by PAL360 (26933 posts) -

As a big fan of the series since Morrowind, Skyrim is probably my favourite. That said, there are still things to improve. Here are some of my ideas:

Quests:

- Keep the main series singleplayer.

- Keep the random quests/events, but add more diversity to them.

- Bring the arena back. It could actually be a (the only) cool way to add multiplayer, without killing the franchise.

- In the arena, you should not only fight, but also be able to be part of the audience, bet, etc...

Map and journal:

- Make the map more interactive. I visited an interesting dungeon, so why not the ability to write a note and add it to the dungeon icon in the map?

- Stores and other important places in towns, should have their own icons.

- The description of miscellaneous quests should be more elaborated. After hundreds of hours accepting quests in Skyrim, i never remember who asked me to do this, or why do i need to visit that place. There are hundreds of quests in the game, so there should be a more complex journal.

Dungeons:

- Some dungeons, for example, a cript that has been closed for centuries, should't have lighted torches. Make them darker and more scary.

- Dungeons without torches, or daylight from the exterior, should be completly dark, forcing you to use a torch or magelight. You should also be able to light torches with fire magic.

- Traps should actually make damage.

Loot and exploration:

- Gold should be harder to find. I explore alot in theses games, so i always end up with lots of gold and no use for it.

- Enchanted items, artifacts, etc, should be alot more rare.

- Once in a while, sacks should have more than apples or carrots. Make important loot rare, sure, but still unpredictable.

Night time:

- Night should be darker, more scary and incredibly more dangerous, to the point you feel the need to go through the roads or pay to spend the night in an inn. To make that possible, some night creatures (wereworves, vampires, ghosts...) should be more active, unpredictable and powerful at night.

Economy:

- Some rare items or properties, should be incredibly expensive. Only possible to be brought, after like 150 or 200 hours playing the game.

Lockpicking:

- Lockpicking is too easy. I usualy open master locks just for fun, and lose 2 or 3 lockpicks at most. Oblivion's system was a better challenge.

Combat and Magic:

- Arrows should be affected by physics, like in Oblivion (the longer the distance, the upper you need to aim).

- Some enemies should also have mounts.

- Fast travel could be replaced by a spell. You could only travel through the entire map, later in the game, at the highest levels.

NPCs:

- Followers (and NPCs in general) should have visible characteristics: Attack, armour, magic, stamina, etc, so you could know exactly which gear you should give him/her.

- Most NPCs in Skyrim had the same dramatic tone on their dialog. Give them personality, sense o humor, etc...

- Town guards should be able to give us indications (where's the inn, the general store, etc...), like in Oblivion.

Difficulty:

- Make it harder, some places close to impossible until you are a really high level. I started my two Skyrim character in the hardest difficulty, and while it started as a challenge, it turned like a walk in the park too soon.

- Add a hardcore mode (no fast travel, need to eat, need to sleep, etc...).

Other:

- Make the game next gen only, and multiplatform (PC, PS4 and X1). Don't go exclusive with a platform your fans may not own.

- No more loadings between interiors and exteriors. You should be able to see the interior of a house, by looking through it's window.

There are more, but i'll post them later. And please, post your ideas aswell.

#2 Posted by redog003 (34 posts) -

As a big fan of the series since Morrowind, Skyrim is probably my favourite. That said, there are still things to improve. Here are some of my ideas:

- Keep the main series singleplayer.

- Bring the arena back. It would actually be a cool way, to add multiplayer without killing the franchise. The game should be singleplayer, just like have been since the first one, but we should be able to fight other players in the in game arena.

- The information of miscellaneous quests should be more elaborated. After hundreds of hours accepting quests in Skyrim, i never remember who asked me for this, or why do i need to visit that place, etc. There are hundreds of quests in the game, so there should be a more complex journal.

- Companions should have visible characteristics: Attack, armour, magic, stamina, etc...so you could know exactly which gear you should give him/her.

- No more loadings between interiors and exteriors. You should be able to see the interior of a house, by looking through it's window.

- Make it harder, some places close to impossible until you are a really high level. I started my two Skyrim characters in the hardest difficulty, and while it started as a challenge, it turned like a walk in the park too soon.

- Night should be darker, more scary and incredibly more dangerous, at the point you feel the need to pay, to spend the night in an inn. To make that possible, some creatures (werewolves, vampires, ghosts, etc...) should be more active and powerful at night.

- Some dungeons, like, for example, a cript that has been closed for centuries, shouldn't have lighted torches.

- Dungeons without torches should be completly dark, to force you to use torches or magelights.

- Gold should be harder to find. I explore alot in these games, so i always end up with lots of gold and no use for it.

- Some rare items or properties, should be incredibly expensive. Only possible to be bought, after like 150 or 200 hours playing the game.

- Add a hardcore mode (no fast travel, need to eat, need to sleep, etc...).

There are more, but i'll post them later. And please, post your ideas aswell.

PAL360
I like 'em a lot
#3 Posted by Mickeyminime (1130 posts) -
I'd keep it the way it is, however, for your dungeons without torches, gold difficult to find and so on should all be under Hardcore mode. The only imrpovement i want is no bugs or few bugs unlike the billions we get. Also if they add Dragons again, allow us to fly them freely. I would also like all the skills from Oblivion back and Skyrim too, to allow us to have all the perks, but allow us to choose what we want like in Skyrim so we all go a different path instead of the same in Oblivion. Mulitplayer i think should be included, but seperate like you get with GTA or COD, but don't allow someone elses quest to effect you like it does in Dead Island where one person does another quest, when they complete it, you complete it even though you never did it. For me, it sucked :(
#4 Posted by emvv (22 posts) -

-better/more interesting NPCs. Skyrim had a few good ones but the majority were dull and unmemorable

-a better minimap/waypoint system that can be turned on and off. On for when you really can't figure out where the dungeon entrance is and off for when you're just roaming the countryside stirring up trouble

-horses that die less, you can order to run away and not just have them charge headfirst into a dragons fireball, and you can summon Red Dead Redemption style with a scroll whenever they've disappeared somewhere

-more balanced economy. In the beginning I was so desperately poor from mage college that I would go from town to town burglarizing houses at 2am in my underwear (to reduce on sound, of course ;)

-and on that note, less grubby undies. Yeah, they're are a lot of mods out there but c'mon...

-and by the end of the game I was so loaded i'd even stopped shaking my spouse down for cash.

-more creepy looking armor. The daedric armor was awesome

#5 Posted by klusik (2 posts) -
The most one I like is KEEP THE GAME SINGLEPLAYER! Everything else I don't care, but I hate multiplayers and "MUST play multiplayers", like in ME3... If it is multiplayer out of main game (like assassins creed) -- It desn't matter, but I hope, TES:6 will be strictly offline with no-need of internet connection single player game ;) Thanks ;)
#6 Posted by klusik (2 posts) -
About the NPCs... I totaly agree. I want more voice actors mainly. NPCs aren't bad at skyrim, but it almost seems like all NPC are voiced by about 5 actors... ;) ;)
#7 Posted by Billieguy (15 posts) -

I would also add that there have to be jobs for the player in the next game! For example:

• Woodcutter: Cutting down any tree using axes and Dwemer Chainsaws and elaborating them to planks, sticks, firewood etc. and then selling them or keeping them for yourself in order to craft items or build a home, base, traps and so on.
  • Fisherman: The name speaks for itself, though it would be cool if in order to find bigger fish you could take a boat and go to the open sea and face a seamonster or two. They should add tools for fishing, like nets, spears, harpoons etc.
  • Hunter: Again, it is pretty obvious. They should add more meaning to the hunting system though, for example a wider variety of goods you can obtain from your prey such as skin, hide, meat, teeth, bones, claws etc. The rarest the good, the higher the price point. Also, they should add an animal tracking system, using footprints, some kind of spell, hounds and more.
  • Gladiator: Bring back the Arena! They should pretty much take the arena from Oblivion and improve it with bigger battles and other stuff.
  • Bounty Hunter: What better than hunting down criminals? The best thing though would be to not always having to kill the target or doing so resulting to failure and a loss of reputation. Some targets should just be left unconcious or captured and brought back in chains. You should also have to track them down asking locals, bribing or forcing inn owners to speak and so on.
  • Miner: Imagine creating new caves Minecraft-style and collecting minerals, finding new artifacts and then selling or using them. It would be awesome if you could accidentally dig into a dungeon. This though should have to be controlled so that the game would not be broken too bad.(Still, it'be pretty awesome to make your own tunnel system to travel the land with underground minecarts).
  • Shop Director: This is kind of complicate but would be a great addition to the game. What if you could make your own chain of stores spread throught the land? You should still have to pay to buy stuff from your stores, but in a discount price, and you should be able to buy other stores or build your own. It would also be great to be able to set imports and exports of goods for your store or just leave the AI do it. And, you would have to hire NPC's to work at your store.

I don't have much time left so here's a list of other jobs you could be able to do, if anyone feels like it, feel free to expand and/or explain it:

• Farmer/ Farms owner
  • Guardsman (for convoys and stuff)
#8 Posted by xXG3n3s1sXx (2 posts) -

I would also add that there have to be jobs for the player in the next game! For example:

Woodcutter: Cutting down any tree using axes and Dwemer Chainsaws and elaborating them to planks, sticks, firewood etc. and then selling them or keeping them for yourself in order to craft items or build a home, base, traps and so on.Fisherman: The name speaks for itself, though it would be cool if in order to find bigger fish you could take a boat and go to the open sea and face a seamonster or two. They should add tools for fishing, like nets, spears, harpoons etc.Hunter: Again, it is pretty obvious. They should add more meaning to the hunting system though, for example a wider variety of goods you can obtain from your prey such as skin, hide, meat, teeth, bones, claws etc. The rarest the good, the higher the price point. Also, they should add an animal tracking system, using footprints, some kind of spell, hounds and more.Gladiator: Bring back the Arena! They should pretty much take the arena from Oblivion and improve it with bigger battles and other stuff.Bounty Hunter: What better than hunting down criminals? The best thing though would be to not always having to kill the target or doing so resulting to failure and a loss of reputation. Some targets should just be left unconcious or captured and brought back in chains. You should also have to track them down asking locals, bribing or forcing inn owners to speak and so on.Miner: Imagine creating new caves Minecraft-style and collecting minerals, finding new artifacts and then selling or using them. It would be awesome if you could accidentally dig into a dungeon. This though should have to be controlled so that the game would not be broken too bad.(Still, it'be pretty awesome to make your own tunnel system to travel the land with underground minecarts).Shop Director: This is kind of complicate but would be a great addition to the game. What if you could make your own chain of stores spread throught the land? You should still have to pay to buy stuff from your stores, but in a discount price, and you should be able to buy other stores or build your own. It would also be great to be able to set imports and exports of goods for your store or just leave the AI do it. And, you would have to hire NPC's to work at your store.

I don't have much time left so here's a list of other jobs you could be able to do, if anyone feels like it, feel free to expand and/or explain it:

Farmer/ Farms ownerGuardsman (for convoys and stuff)Billieguy
Epic Ideas
#9 Posted by fyrestorme (5 posts) -
@OP there are already skyrim mod's for 99% of your suggestions
#10 Posted by PAL360 (26933 posts) -

@OP there are already skyrim mod's for 99% of your suggestionsfyrestorme

I know, but i play the 'inferior' console version :P

#11 Posted by rabunzel (256 posts) -
Great ideas, I think I'll add a few: - food and wine should have value, in skyrim when you're at high level food is totally useless. you can only use potions. which makes me wonder why there are too many hunters and these useless vegetables shops. - the main quest should be harder and should have more quests. In skyrim you can finish the main quest in 2 days. - The hero should be able to eat and sleep like the NPCs. And he should be able to play music, it looks kind of weird when you become a bard but can't play music. - the gaurds should stop saying silly things like : the sweetrolls or the arrow to the knee! Their speech should change with the progress of the stroy, like after you become a thane they should speak respectfully instead of calling you a sneaky theif. Just like what happened in the mages colleges (spoiler) after you become an arch-mage everyone starts calling you arch-mage. - there should be more types of weapons and armors, and more variety in enemies, in Skyrim after a few days of playing you encounter all types of monsters and enemies and that's no fun. there are more suggestions but this's what i can think of right now
#12 Posted by PAL360 (26933 posts) -

Thanks rabunzel, and good ideas aswell. As for being able to play music, i agree and should add that there should be 'minigames' like in most open woeld games. Playing music could be one of them, also hunting, some kind of card or dice games to play in taverns, etc.

#13 Posted by robbfreel (3 posts) -
The Elder Scrolls VI: Invasion The Akavir invade Marrowind again. As of the aftermath of the eruption, Marrowind was in chaos and had no government for the last few hundred years (anarchy, too much land to control, more disobedient people, raids on innocents, etc.). People created minor empires in Marrowind, but it wasn't enough to oppose the Akavir and they were easily overwhelmed. However, an unofficial capital was made blocking the path to Cyrodiil in Marrowind(due to mountanious region), who [the empire] are currently with war with the Aldmeri Dominion. The unofficial capital is part of Argonian territory, so the game would take place in the Black Marsh. It is up to the people of Black Marsh to end the invasion and assist the Empire from destruction, through treaties that would help both of the nations. The Argonians have great military strategy and would help both Marrowind and the Empire from total destruction. The Argonians also have great advantages in their homeland thanks to the Hist. And other stuff...(not much said about the black marsh)________________________________________________ It would be nice if they made some new books that you would want to read. Skyrim's game setup was amazing and it can't really get better than that. It was a really hard game to make, I don't think Bethesda wants to waste their time, so they probably wont take opinions into account of the game. But of course, in a few years there will be a completely different generation of games so it will get better(maybe) lol. The storyline of the game can also be hard to make because it would actually have to make sense, this is elder scrolls. Its hard to make a game with a big world, bundles of quests,etc. This isn't a picnic, so I wouldn't get your hopes so high about these new "extra's" for the game. That's why mods exists of course and extra add-ons for the original elder scroll games. There's already too much to do in the process of making the game and should be understandable.
#16 Posted by mertox (1 posts) -
True, but it would be nice for a lot of that stuff to be built into the game instead of having to download mods to do it. Some of the more popular mod ideas would be good to add into the game itself by design.
#17 Posted by Tyler_Spade (0 posts) -
There's many things that I would like to see in TES:6. I'm not unhappy with what they gave, but there were some things that needed some improvements, and at least some more features. Being a Bounty Hunter would be a great idea, or joining the guards. Just add more things! Give us something to do other than dungeon crawl after the main quest. I've spent at least 60 hours, and haven't touched the main quest. I think that more and new armors should be added. Give more marriage options as well, and divorces! lol. Having to adopt kids wasn't a bad idea, but leaving out some things that Fable was able to do on a game they produced in 3 months. I'd even accept a black out screen, but give a change, the wife or husband surely needs love. Even Bethesda said that marriage was easy because of how dangerous Skyrim is. So where's the romance? Maybe even add romantic quests, like where you need a spouse to do, or only triggers when you have a spouse. I can see many things that could be done. But one I would really love to have, is Battle scars. If I get slashed at by an Axe, I'd like to see some kind of dent, or scratch. Just leaving no scratches as if I could take an arrow to the chest like I've never been hit. Also, more character customisation. You did good on this one, but I feel it could have been much better. Maybe add a voice for the main character? I just see so much more room for improvement, there's so much more that I could list, but that's all I'm going to say for now.
#18 Posted by bmart970 (86 posts) -

I like your list, and I have thought about a PvP arena also, but I do have to point out that you could bet on fights in Oblivion.

#20 Posted by rabunzel (256 posts) -

There's many things that I would like to see in TES:6. I'm not unhappy with what they gave, but there were some things that needed some improvements, and at least some more features. Being a Bounty Hunter would be a great idea, or joining the guards. Just add more things! Give us something to do other than dungeon crawl after the main quest. I've spent at least 60 hours, and haven't touched the main quest. I think that more and new armors should be added. Give more marriage options as well, and divorces! lol. Having to adopt kids wasn't a bad idea, but leaving out some things that Fable was able to do on a game they produced in 3 months. I'd even accept a black out screen, but give a change, the wife or husband surely needs love. Even Bethesda said that marriage was easy because of how dangerous Skyrim is. So where's the romance? Maybe even add romantic quests, like where you need a spouse to do, or only triggers when you have a spouse. I can see many things that could be done. But one I would really love to have, is Battle scars. If I get slashed at by an Axe, I'd like to see some kind of dent, or scratch. Just leaving no scratches as if I could take an arrow to the chest like I've never been hit. Also, more character customisation. You did good on this one, but I feel it could have been much better. Maybe add a voice for the main character? I just see so much more room for improvement, there's so much more that I could list, but that's all I'm going to say for now. Tyler_Spade
there's a quest in Hearthfire DLC that becomes available when you have spouse. It's something like getting your love ones back? when the bandit kidnaps the spouse. But it's radiant I think, which makes it boring. But you're right in assassin's creed brotherhood there's a whole series of quests about his romantic life. But the problem in TES is that they give you a infinite freedom to choose your character's story so they don't get to make a romantic quests that may conflicts with your character's story. It's cool to be able to build a character really, but at least give him some background, like tell us why he was crossing the boarder to go to Skyrim, give us some clue about his life before. But I guess they can't do that because you have the freedom to choose the race as well. So the story will differs from a race to another. I'd say there's no need to be able to choose a race. It's Skyrim just make him a Nord already. I know some people would like to play with another races but that makes the whole game unable to create a story. If you like a different race you can play with it in the next game. like: Morrowind=Dunmer and Oblivion=Imperial. Everyone wishes to play the war between the Thalmor and the empire. And some are waiting for a DLC when you get to play it. But there isn't going to be one, because the game don't know if you're elf or nord or imperial. So they can't make a war questline to fight against the thalmor what if you're a high elf and want to be with the thalmor? And they can't do a questline for both sides, sure they can get away with it in the civil war because it's not that important. But a war between mer and men should have a defined winner and will be written in the next game lore. So we don't get to play just know the winner's name in the next game.

#21 Posted by robbfreel (3 posts) -
Elder Scrolls 6? http://www.youtube.com/user/bethesdadevelopment?feature=watch summerset isle
#22 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26890 posts) -

I wouldn't mind playable hybrid races. Since there are already NPC's in the series that are hybrids. I wonder what a Dunmer/Nord would be like.

Some hybrid NPC's in the spoiler

[spoiler]

-Jagar Tharn (Breton/Dunmer) in Arena

-Agronak gro-Malog (Orc/Imperial with a hint of vampire) in Oblivion

-Pelagius Septim III (Imperial/Altmer) in Skyrim [/spoiler]