will there be an online fee u think?

#1 Posted by ragnarok160 (169 posts) -

do u think there wil be an online fee?

#2 Posted by Squirrel-Master (115 posts) -

Most likely but I don't think there's any real word if there will be or not yet

#3 Posted by jb_1587 (34 posts) -

There most likely will be but if they want more players they will use a "freemium" system... At least I hope!

#4 Posted by N0tYrBeezin (6902 posts) -

Elder Scrolls games are popular enough for them to charge a monthly fee!

#5 Posted by jamesryan99 (231 posts) -

im hopeing they go path of exile style and make it fully free to play but charge for vanity/appearance stuff to make you stand out more or look cooler...but i doubt it i hope they dont do monthy subbing because thats just retarded and tes wouldent work so well with restricting players if their was a free to play pay to win type of payment/free useage system for a game of the tes series. the only way i could see that working is if they added a items type such as common ,rare and legendary type bs and like capping skills off at like 75 for silver members(paying once for better stuff/ increases) and free being capped at like lvl 50 for each skill....if they are smart and want to make money while being able to have alot of people paying for it they will do the payment system like guild wars which imo is the best payment system.... buy it once and you get the entire game forever.... the only other thing you can buy is any expantions that come out and you can also pay for in game money and other resources and vanity items.

#6 Posted by N0tYrBeezin (6902 posts) -

^^^ Such a long winded way to say I want to play without paying! :)

#7 Posted by kriz_91 (8724 posts) -

I wrestle with this myself. On one hand I hate paying a monthly fee for a game. I personally find it unjustifyable. To all those of you who will say "well it's so they'll make better content" or "that's how they maintain the servers and QoS" I say this:

What games, other than MMOs, make money from montly fees?
What games, other than MMOs, don't have regular updates and expansions?

Take a look at the list of games for which you answered no to both of these questions. It will be quite sizeable... what's more, many of those games (Try most popular RTS and FPS games, for instance) have very large online servers that are maintained by... The developers! Or sometimes by the community or various other ingenious ways.

The truth is MMOs don't have to have recurring monthly fees. If they really came up with so much content so frequently they could easily live from selling expansions. Before you say that will cause a rift in the community do some simple math and work out that if instead of charging $10 a month they simply released a $30 expansion every three months they would make the same amount of money while giving people the choice of whether they can really afford that extra content right this second or if they can maybe wait it out for a month or two.

On the other hand, every MMO out there that doesn't charge monthly fees falls into some nasty "free-to-play; so long as you don't mind grinding 20x as long as those who do" type of deal, which irks me even more. I mean even those MMOs out there that only charge for "visual" updates generally leave you with a murky grayish-brown pool of crap to pick from if you don't pony up some cash. Most other games limit your ability to play or greatly inhibit your progress unless you spend the money. Some of these wind up being even more expensive than pay-to-play games if you really want to get serious!

In an ideal world ZenimaxOnline would charge $60 for the initial game and release steady streams of payed content to keep cash flowing. In the real world I'm sure they will charge a monthly fee... and if that fails they'll drop that leaving all those who paid for it feeling like fools and dooming the game to perdition.

#8 Posted by N0tYrBeezin (6902 posts) -

^^^ Expansion every 3 months? I think those are called DLC nowadays! Full blown expansion cannot be done in 3 months with only one team.

#9 Posted by kriz_91 (8724 posts) -

Expansion or DLC... really arguing semantics here. No written rule states the extent to which an "expansion" has to expand the game content. In fact most expansions now days are DLC (Downloadable Content). 

#10 Posted by bathamael (37 posts) -

After six months.. nope.

#11 Posted by Jeremy012 (4 posts) -

Everyone objects to online fees.

The problem I've noticed with games that use a freemium model is that this price model can and will nickel and dime you for more than the 14.99 subscription fee you would have paid if you would commit to one monthly fee.

I don't know why but it's the case that people will refuse to put 14.99 up front every month, as if that was too much of a commitment, but then they will pay 2.99 in microtransactions that amount to way more than 14.99 every 30 days.

It's pitiful.

#12 Posted by anarxgd (2 posts) -
Probably a subcription fee
#13 Posted by sethschroeder07 (821 posts) -

Everyone objects to online fees.

The problem I've noticed with games that use a freemium model is that this price model can and will nickel and dime you for more than the 14.99 subscription fee you would have paid if you would commit to one monthly fee.

I don't know why but it's the case that people will refuse to put 14.99 up front every month, as if that was too much of a commitment, but then they will pay 2.99 in microtransactions that amount to way more than 14.99 every 30 days.

It's pitiful.

Jeremy012

No its not, think about it this way. You are asked to purchase a $8 map pack and get to keep it forever on the otherside your asked to pay $4 a month.... Also I could put 14.99 down and then have something come up and can't play for a whole month and bam out 15 bucks