The Elder Scrolls Online - Petition

#1 Posted by PAL360 (26513 posts) -

As you probably know, Bethesda announced that ESO will have a subscription based business model. Many, like me, won't be able to afford a monthly fee just for one game, especially if you will also be paying for the PS4 or X1 online service.

If you are a Elder Scrolls fan, and want this game to be a one time buy, then help the case and sign these petitions:

https://www.change.org/petitions/zenimax-studios-to-remove-the-subscription-fee-for-elder-scrolls-online

https://www.change.org/petitions/bethesda-the-elder-scrolls-online-change-the-business-model-from-subscription-based-to-one-time-purchase#share

http://www.change.org/petitions/bethesda-the-elder-scrolls-online-change-the-business-model-from-subscription-based-to-one-time-purchase

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-elder-scrolls-online-change-subscription-based-to-single-payment-buy-to-play-format

#2 Edited by k41m (720 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

As you probably know, Bethesda announced that ESO will have a subscription based business model. Many, like me, won't be able to afford a monthly fee just for one game, especially if you will also be paying for the PS4 or X1 online service.

If you are a Elder Scrolls fan, and want this game to be a one time buy, then help the case and sign these petitions:

https://www.change.org/petitions/zenimax-studios-to-remove-the-subscription-fee-for-elder-scrolls-online

https://www.change.org/petitions/bethesda-the-elder-scrolls-online-change-the-business-model-from-subscription-based-to-one-time-purchase#share

http://www.change.org/petitions/bethesda-the-elder-scrolls-online-change-the-business-model-from-subscription-based-to-one-time-purchase

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-elder-scrolls-online-change-subscription-based-to-single-payment-buy-to-play-format

If you can't afford 15 dollars a month you need to rethink your life and the direction it's going.

#3 Posted by PAL360 (26513 posts) -

@k41m said:

@PAL360 said:

If you can't afford 15 dollars a month you need to rethink your life and the direction it's going.

To be honest i can, i just don't want to. no game is worth 200 dollars a year, 400 dollars in 2 years, 600 dollars in 3 years, and so on. I want to buy the game, not rent it.

#4 Posted by crazytd69 (17 posts) -

Then you should not play MMO's

#5 Edited by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1453 posts) -

People who can't say they can afford $15 a month bug me. I'm a full time college student and I only work part time and I can easily afford it. Quality MMO's have subscription fees and people who want to play these MMOs need to understand that.

#6 Edited by Syndicalist (13 posts) -

The money is irrelevant, I just have a problem with being forced to RENT a game to play it at all. That is pathetic, and is the height of GREED.

There are much stronger arguments against monthly-subscription models than 'I can't afford it'.

Try these reasons:

1) Because the game itself is garbage.

2) Because no game is worth paying £100+ per annum(recurring) for.

3) Because Bethesda is a massive company which can afford to hire actors like John Cleese and Ian McKellan and spend years making this game, but they don't have enough money to run the game based on (overpriced) sales alone. This is a joke. I can understand the motivation from a smaller company, but from a huge business like Bethesda, it is just pure greed. To top it all off, they even add an in-game SHOP as well!! This alone should negate the monthly-subs, but no: they want your monthly sub, they want you to pay for items in-game, as well as pay for the game that you are essentially renting whilst never gain ownership over it.

I think I'll stick to games that I can actually own, rather than renting garbage from greedy incompetents like Bethesda.

#7 Posted by CiTizenMaSSaKre (5 posts) -

@Syndicalist: Awesome, we do not want you in the game anyways. I am SO happy the game is a subscription. That means only true Elder Scrolls fans will be playing and no whiny cry baby complainers bitching like in the BETA. Please do us players a favor and NEVER EVER play, we do not want you.

#10 Posted by k41m (720 posts) -

@CiTizenMaSSaKre: So despite having played ES games since Morrowind, I am not a 'true fan' because I refuse to play this third-party ES knock-off? Do you have ANY idea how many ES fans ESO has marginalised and alienated???? And all you've got to say is 'pay a sub or UR NOT A REAL FAN!'. F*** you! Seriously, F*** OFF you c**t! I don't work hard to spend my spare time playing a rented game that I can never own. ANYONE who does so is an idiot, plain and simple. The vast majority of ES fans will not touch ESO, simple as that. But that means they 'are not true fans' according to PATHETIC Skyrim fanboys like you!

If that's what being a 'true elder scrolls fan' is, then 'true elder scrolls fans' are blind, ignorant imbeciles. Personally I think a true Elder Scrolls fan is someone who appreciates choice and freedom in an open-world RPG. NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE PRESENT IN ESO, you clown!

I know the truth though, real ES fans like myself will stay clear of this garbage, which resembles WoW more than ES. Also, it's filled with idiots like yourself, which is all the more reason to stay away from this trash MMO. Pathetic whining fanboys, I bet your first Elder Scrolls game was Skyrim! HAHAHAHAHA! What an absolute sucker you are! You are nothing but $$$ to these vampires.

The fact that you are on here insulting me for giving perfectly legitimate criticism of ESO, speaks volumes about what a pathetic individual you are! Originally I was going to rate ESO a 5/10, just to be fair. When I see comments from idiots like you, I realise that I made the correct decision by just giving it a 0/10 score, since clownish fanboys like yourself overrate everything.

Grow up and move out of your parents' house, idiot. I guarantee you'll think twice about subscriptions when you're already paying for gas, electricity, TV license, car, car insurance and tax, housing taxes, broadband subscription and line rental etc etc etc. You vile little scumbag.

People like you make the ES community look like a bunch of little f*****s. Besides, if ESO is so wonderful, why are you on here insulting people for speaking the truth, instead of playing your amazingly, brilliantly 'immersive' game????

Oh yes, because you're already bored of it, and looking to take your disappointment anger out on anyone BUT Bethesda. You are a sickening apologist for capitalist greed in the video game industry, and I can't say this enough about scum such as yourself: **** YOU! If you spewed these insults to my face, I would put you down.

Your hopeless

#11 Edited by RedDragonGecko (14 posts) -

@k41m: No, I don't think that hopeless belongs to him. You must be confused.

#12 Posted by Romanchenko (6 posts) -

@CiTizenMaSSaKre: So despite having played ES games since Morrowind, I am not a 'true fan' because I refuse to play this third-party ES knock-off? Do you have ANY idea how many ES fans ESO has marginalised and alienated???? And all you've got to say is 'pay a sub or UR NOT A REAL FAN!'. F*** you! Seriously, F*** OFF you c**t! I don't work hard to spend my spare time playing a rented game that I can never own. ANYONE who does so is an idiot, plain and simple. The vast majority of ES fans will not touch ESO, simple as that. But that means they 'are not true fans' according to PATHETIC Skyrim fanboys like you!

If that's what being a 'true elder scrolls fan' is, then 'true elder scrolls fans' are blind, ignorant imbeciles. Personally I think a true Elder Scrolls fan is someone who appreciates choice and freedom in an open-world RPG. NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE PRESENT IN ESO, you clown!

I know the truth though, real ES fans like myself will stay clear of this garbage, which resembles WoW more than ES. Also, it's filled with idiots like yourself, which is all the more reason to stay away from this trash MMO. Pathetic whining fanboys, I bet your first Elder Scrolls game was Skyrim! HAHAHAHAHA! What an absolute sucker you are! You are nothing but $$$ to these vampires.

The fact that you are on here insulting me for giving perfectly legitimate criticism of ESO, speaks volumes about what a pathetic individual you are! Originally I was going to rate ESO a 5/10, just to be fair. When I see comments from idiots like you, I realise that I made the correct decision by just giving it a 0/10 score, since clownish fanboys like yourself overrate everything.

Grow up and move out of your parents' house, idiot. I guarantee you'll think twice about subscriptions when you're already paying for gas, electricity, TV license, car, car insurance and tax, housing taxes, broadband subscription and line rental etc etc etc. You vile little scumbag.

People like you make the ES community look like a bunch of little f*****s. Besides, if ESO is so wonderful, why are you on here insulting people for speaking the truth, instead of playing your amazingly, brilliantly 'immersive' game????

Oh yes, because you're already bored of it, and looking to take your disappointment anger out on anyone BUT Bethesda. You are a sickening apologist for capitalist greed in the video game industry, and I can't say this enough about scum such as yourself: **** YOU! If you spewed these insults to my face, I would put you down.

my nigga

#13 Edited by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1453 posts) -

@Syndicalist:

@Syndicalist said:

The money is irrelevant, I just have a problem with being forced to RENT a game to play it at all. That is pathetic, and is the height of GREED.

There are much stronger arguments against monthly-subscription models than 'I can't afford it'.

Try these reasons:

1) Because the game itself is garbage.

2) Because no game is worth paying £100+ per annum(recurring) for.

3) Because Bethesda is a massive company which can afford to hire actors like John Cleese and Ian McKellan and spend years making this game, but they don't have enough money to run the game based on (overpriced) sales alone. This is a joke. I can understand the motivation from a smaller company, but from a huge business like Bethesda, it is just pure greed. To top it all off, they even add an in-game SHOP as well!! This alone should negate the monthly-subs, but no: they want your monthly sub, they want you to pay for items in-game, as well as pay for the game that you are essentially renting whilst never gain ownership over it.

I think I'll stick to games that I can actually own, rather than renting garbage from greedy incompetents like Bethesda.

First of all the game isn't by any means garbage and It is actually a really good MMO that had a fairly smooth launch. All of the big MMOs charge a subscription fee, like WoW and Final Fantasy RR and this is no different. Plus, the ones that don't have a subcription fee are are usually never 100% free. Also, have you played free to play MMOs, they aren't that great (think GuildWars 2 which is probably the most overrated MMO of all time). MMOs aren't for everyone true, but the fact remains that this is a great game. It might not be in the same caliber as lets say Skyrim or Oblivion, but it is great regardless. Its people like you that give gamers a bad name. If you don't like a game thats fine, there are many games that just aren't my cup of tea, however, I don't go out of my way to bash any game and to call it a piece of garbage just because they made a game that I'm not into. You remind me of the morons on Metacritic who were giving this game 0s and 4s. Really a zero? I can think of some terrible games, but nothing that warrants a zero. This game isn't going anywhere and I have played for about a week now and this is a great game.

#14 Edited by Syndicalist (13 posts) -

Oh crap, it's Lu Bu, I'm never gonna be able to outrun him! If only I can defeat Dong Zhuo before he catches me!

In seriousness though, I don't care about a 'smooth launch', because the game is terrible. If Bethesda had managed to keep the secret (by not letting us play the Beta lol) of ESO's badness, they'd have had a more strenuous launch. The fact is, ESO has alienated most of the Elder Scrolls fanbase in one way or another.

I don't care about WoW and Final Fantasy, because those games aren't filled with atrocious fundamental design flaws, and are not designed to be a blatant cash-grab.

For the record, I gave ESO 5/10 on Metacritic, because it is playable, despite being incredibly dull. However, shortly after posting the review, it was deleted mysteriously. I am currently re-writing a new one, and this time I will give the game 0/10. I wouldn't normally do this, but the truth was stifled last time I spoke it, and Metacritic is filled with 10/10 ratings made by 'one review, one post, signed up today' Metacritic accounts. Are you honestly going to defend this? I am only off-setting the ridiculous hype with a 0/10. Like I said though, the game is 5/10 at best, if you get a kick out of Boredom Simulator 2014.

You remind me of those morons on Metacritic who say 'I've played for a few days and its AMAZING' and rate it 10/10. As though it's a perfect game. You cannot possibly defend the amount of 10/10 ratings ESO has on Metacritic. And half of them are full of outright lies, and nothing but 'OMG BETTER THAN WOW', as if that is somehow a selling point! haha!

ESO is headed for the garbage bin, and I will never rent a game on a monthly basis, after having BOUGHT it. I don't give a damn whether it's WoW, EVE or ESO.

Back to Dark Souls 2. A real game.

#15 Posted by Syndicalist (13 posts) -

Oh crap, it's Lu Bu, I'm never gonna be able to outrun him! If only I can defeat Dong Zhuo before he catches me!

In seriousness though, I don't care about a 'smooth launch', because the game is terrible. If Bethesda had managed to keep the secret (by not letting us play the Beta lol) of ESO's badness, they'd have had a more strenuous launch. The fact is, ESO has alienated most of the Elder Scrolls fanbase in one way or another.

I don't care about WoW and Final Fantasy, because those games aren't filled with atrocious fundamental design flaws, and are not designed to be a blatant cash-grab.

For the record, I gave ESO 5/10 on Metacritic, because it is playable, despite being incredibly dull. However, shortly after posting the review, it was deleted mysteriously. I am currently re-writing a new one, and this time I will give the game 0/10. I wouldn't normally do this, but the truth was stifled last time I spoke it, by some butt-hurt fanboy no doubt.

You remind me of those morons on Metacritic who say 'I've played for a few days and its AMAZING' and rate it 10/10. As though it's a perfect game. You cannot possibly defend the amount of 10/10 ratings ESO has on Metacritic. And half of them are full of outright lies, and nothing but 'OMG BETTER THAN WOW', as if that is somehow a selling point! haha!

ESO is headed for the garbage bin, and I will never rent a game on a monthly basis, after having BOUGHT it. I don't give a damn whether it's WoW, EVE or ESO.

#16 Edited by Johnny-n-Roger (14113 posts) -

There are plenty of "free to play" MMOs around nowadays. Within a few weeks you'll realize how practical a monthly fee can be.

#17 Edited by Ratsneve (368 posts) -

Ah... Guild Wars 2 has no monthly fee to play. It is an exception but why not mention it? Path of Exile is free to download and play but I don't think it is a real MMO.

I'm gearing up to play ESO but will only play largely Solo and call it quits at some point which is what I did with GW2. There will be times needing group help for sure no doubt--just like GW2.

I might finish in a couple months which will only cost me the game and one month's fee. If I get as much out of the game as I expect that cost will be well worth it.

But my main concern right now is how bug free the playing really is? I remember playing Skyrim soon after it was released and being _very_ disappointed in a few of its bugs.

I won't be signing any petitions and I look forward to the regular ES series continuing too.

#18 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1453 posts) -

@Syndicalist:

For the record, I gave ESO 5/10 on Metacritic, because it is playable, despite being incredibly dull. However, shortly after posting the review, it was deleted mysteriously. I am currently re-writing a new one, and this time I will give the game 0/10. I wouldn't normally do this, but the truth was stifled last time I spoke it, by some butt-hurt fanboy no doubt.

I'm not going to defend anyone who gives this game an outragous review be it a 10/10 or a 0/10; those are outragous reviews. This game is not perfect, I never said it was, but it is certainly better than a lot of the MMOs that are currently out there. So far I have put in about 100+ hours of play time and I wouldn't give this game a 10/10, but I would most likely give it a 8.5/10-9/10. Its a great game and I understand that people are turned off because of it being an MMO, but if you don't like MMOs then don't play them. I am an MMO vet, I have played Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, GuildWars I and II, City of Heros, The Old Republic, Final Fantasy a Realm Reborn and of course The Elder Scrolls Online. I can say confidently that the ESO is better than half of those games, but I'm not saying that it is the best game ever created. It's not Skyrim or Oblivion nor is it even Morrowind, but they did what I wanted them to do; capture the feeling of the Elder Scrolls games, emphasis on exploration and present a flexible class system. Judging from your statements you just don't like MMOs which is fine, but at this point your just trolling.

Dark Souls 2 is an amazing game by the way.

#19 Posted by Rehjul (6 posts) -

@Syndicalist:

Wait, what? I was still laughing at your previous post, where you tried to imply you weren't some child living in your mother's basement before proceeding to claim that you'd 'put down' the previous poster, had he spoken the words to your face. We all know you would have done nothing of the sort - its why you can afford to spend so much of your time online throwing a tantrum about a video game.

Your review was not only inaccurate, but terribly written - it, as do all of your reviews, come across as exactly what they are - the ramblings of a moron.

You really should consider stepping back and unplugging for a while, get a nice dose of reality.

#20 Posted by resident_jisen (340 posts) -

Me I played ff 14. on it`s release. one free month plus I payed for a 3 month subscription. after 1 and a half months of playing I found the game not fun anymore and not that great at all. so I payed for a subscription for a game and ended up losing money to it. through the subscription. I feel subscriptions are not worth it in the long run. especially if there is nothing new added to the game on a monthly bases. to keep the game fresh for players. also what about players who take 2 months off from a game but payed for 3 or a player who payed for a year and then only plays the game a total of 4 moths out of that year. true I see paying has advantages to.in any case they need to find a way to keep the game good but work out a paying method that works for everyone involved.

#21 Posted by Ratsneve (368 posts) -

The game certainly isn't garbage BUT there is some floating around in it. I can afford $60 a game plus $15 a month only because I won't be playing this game or any game for but a few months to get through whatever the existing story line is. What I won't put up with is paying ZOS to finish beta testing ESO! And on that score I will sign petitions but more importantly for me demand some refund path be offered to those fed up with paying to beta test unreasonable and yet unsolvable bugs and balance issues in ESO. I would much prefer to see online games disappear and a very real possibility for me will be never to play other MMOs--especially when difficulties between casual to hardcore desires remain unresolved.

#22 Posted by PinchySkree (43 posts) -

My persepective is different, I can easily afford it, but I won't give money to a corporation pushing such garbage.