More MMO grind? The playerbase cannot tolerate another WoW clone.

#1 Posted by auctionmydog (21 posts) -

I hope to god this game is not another grind-choked MMORPG. We've had enough and the playerbase is finally starting to realize that MMORPGs need to break the mould. After reading the features, it appears that nothing innovative will be added to this title.

I'm going to pass on this one. I haven't bought an MMORPG since WoW and finally renouncing my following of the Elder Scrolls Series (Which seemed impossible two years ago) will be fairly easy given the cop-out that this game is going to be.

Elder Scrolls was one of my favorite series and I would be disgusted if Zenimax makes a profit off of this project. Hit them where it hurts and don't buy a game you don't want to play out of some sort of loyalty to the series.

Goodbye Elder Scrolls, it was a great run.

#2 Posted by jrgoalie33 (217 posts) -

Sure.  Lets go ahead and completely abandon a game series because a subsidiary company of Bethesda that specializes in online games (and whose members have quite an impressive amount of experience) is making an online game.  

Nothing new or innovative?  Running, crouching, sneaking, blocking, and diving are all in the game for every class.  Every class can use each and every weapon, spell, and piece of equipment found in the game.  Smaller user interface with only six active abilities.  Synnergy system allowing multiple gamers to combine their abilities to make more powerful moves.  Extremely intelligent, reactive enemy AI that works with one another making real-time decisions to kill you.  No magic numbers or indicator bars when fighting.  Not to mention the 200 player pvp battles, castle sieges and all-out open-field warfare.

Please dont pass on this game when there has yet to even be any gameplay footage released.  And if i buy this game it wont be because of my loyalty to the Elder Scrolls; it will be because it looks like a good, fun game.

And here's where i found all of that info in case anybody wants to read up:

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/elderscrollsonline.aspx

#3 Posted by ImpliedBunny (1688 posts) -

you are assuming everyone has played MMOs.  i have never played an MMO and i am looking forward to this game because i love elder scrolls.   saying the playerbase cant tolerate another one, assumes that everyone played the same stuff in the same frequency.  

#4 Posted by srgtrock (1 posts) -

I might give it a try, but the very second I see something like "locked content; only for users with a monthly paying account", or "to wear this sword you need to only pay $4.99" I'll delete it.

#5 Posted by jamesryan99 (231 posts) -

gotta say i hate retards that think their is a such thing as a WoW clone... WoW IS A CLONE of a bunch of different good mmo's combined into one... if you think WoW is original your sadly mistaken.

#6 Posted by Hebaphrenic (64 posts) -

WoW Clone... hm thats rich. Have you even seen the work being done on Elder Scrolls Online? They are being very innovative with this project. From what ive seen so far, it is basically going to be Skyrim, Morrowind, and Oblivion in an online MMO form. No hotkeys boringly blasting in a single rotation. There will be no true classes, excellent. There will be unlimited possibilities to how to play your Character. This looks like an epic installment into the Elder Scrolls saga.

#7 Posted by kriz_91 (8724 posts) -

Sure.  Lets go ahead and completely abandon a game series because a subsidiary company of Bethesda that specializes in online games (and whose members have quite an impressive amount of experience) is making an online game.  

Nothing new or innovative?  Running, crouching, sneaking, blocking, and diving are all in the game for every class.  Every class can use each and every weapon, spell, and piece of equipment found in the game.  Smaller user interface with only six active abilities.  Synnergy system allowing multiple gamers to combine their abilities to make more powerful moves.  Extremely intelligent, reactive enemy AI that works with one another making real-time decisions to kill you.  No magic numbers or indicator bars when fighting.  Not to mention the 200 player pvp battles, castle sieges and all-out open-field warfare.

Please dont pass on this game when there has yet to even be any gameplay footage released.  And if i buy this game it wont be because of my loyalty to the Elder Scrolls; it will be because it looks like a good, fun game.

And here's where i found all of that info in case anybody wants to read up:

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/elderscrollsonline.aspx

jrgoalie33
*Slow clap* *Stands* *Copious clapping*

gotta say i hate retards that think their is a such thing as a WoW clone... WoW IS A CLONE of a bunch of different good mmo's combined into one... if you think WoW is original your sadly mistaken.

jamesryan99
Gotta say I love every nerd out there who get's all huffy and puffy about how their EverQuest was ripped off by WoW. World of Warcraft is the benchmark because they did it better than anyone else at the time. That's life. Get over it. While you're at it stop flaming people for doing what's natural and comparing things to a well-known and established benchmark instead of some dark, shady MMO that only a few people ever played a million years ago. *NOTE: That was a hyperbole, any flaming stemmed from the lack of "factual base" on the previous statement shall be disregarded*
#8 Posted by PoiBallMan (8 posts) -

Gotta say I love every nerd out there who get's all huffy and puffy about how their EverQuest was ripped off by WoW. kriz_91

Ummm, UO, EQ (which is still around), DAOC (which the pvp in this game is based on), and a half dozen other games.  WoW pretty much stole every mechanic it has from other games, and as such, ends up as a jack of all trades: it does everything well, but nothing spectacular. 

World of Warcraft is the benchmark because they did it better than anyone else at the time. That's life. Get over it. kriz_91

WoW is a benchmark because it is popular.  That is all.  It was created by a very popular company based on a very popular, established IP.  The vast majority of WoW players had never played another MMO before, and have no other MMO to compare things to. 

For others, this game will not be free to play at launch, and will involve grinding.  Every MMO out there requires grinding (otherwise players would finish the storyline relatively quickly and would have no incentive to stay), although Zeni is trying to make it so grinding isn't mind-numbingly repetitive.  Instead of hub-based quests (pick up certain number of quests in town, complete kill quests, fetch quests, return to town, repeat), they're putting in more stage based phase quests, and discoverable side quests like in TES games.

Although not inovative for TES games, with the UI, combat system, character roles, and character advancement system, the overall game can definitely be considered innovative for MMOs.