If every gamer read this, the world would be a better place!!

#1 Posted by oblivionvamp (132 posts) -

Sorry for trolling but these kind of game ideas are the reason that the evolution of gaming is even slower than ACTUAL evolution..cuz the only game companies that think of anything new and innovative are the ones who dont have the funding and support to make a great game. And no offense but its all you people out there who blindly throw money at these games that keep things the way they are. Ten years from now the only difference in games is that they will run better, and have better graphics. They will remain the same franchises with the same kind of content. Halo 12? Call of duty 2,346? Give me something f***** new!!!

#2 Posted by boomer0901 (43 posts) -

amen to that brother.

#3 Posted by CatAtomic999 (1137 posts) -

I don't think consumers are to blame at all. It's the natural result of big budgets. The game industry is doing exactly what Hollywood does every summer, and it's easy to understand why.

Every year, we get a collection of big budget blockbusters that are basically carbon copies of the movies that did well the previous year. When movie studios have a massive budget to work with, they don't want to take any risks. They play it safe by just recreating the last successful property.

That doesn't work so well with games, of course-- and we've seen one big budget flop after another, as studios prove that "playing it safe" in game design is suicidal.

#4 Posted by Ranger-X (106 posts) -

Yeah you've a point; funny how Halo started out as a very unknown game and then the series got milked by Halo 2. didnt the developers say they rushed it? but yeah going backwards in time it was great playing games in the 90's, the graphics didnt have to be the best but damn the games were awesome! Marathon 2, Lords of the Realm, Deus Ex, etc were all great games! And yes, if people were smarter games sales would decline for the better; they'd have to pull people in somehow.

#5 Posted by Colonelcorn (20 posts) -

What if some of us love MMOs and TES?  Go troll elsewhere bruh!

#6 Posted by jamesryan99 (231 posts) -

to the op : i like tes and tes games they are good imo. but i know what you mean iv seen many indie games that blow my mine... unfortunatly they will probly never get out of deveolpment due to their supposed lack of funding  dead linger is a title id love to get its price is like 20$ to get into the testing i think...they havent had any updates iv knowticed and their funding was great they asked for like 20k for paying the dev teams and such and they got millions from people buying their "founder type " packages and donating. weird that they havent said anything maybe they took the money and ran but who knows anything is possible... would love to see more indie games get published alot of them are great.

#7 Posted by kriz_91 (8724 posts) -

While you make a good point, here's a thought that I often find people who are accused of "trolling" miss:

Yes, there is merit in originality. However, there is also merit - perhaps even more so - in improvement. Take, for instance, my favorite game series - Metal Gear Solid.

Metal Gear Solid, the original game, was breeming with originality. There's never been a game quite like it. That's one of the things that drew me to the series in the first place. However, Metal Gear Solid 2 was a better game. Sure maybe you didn't like it as much because of the change in protagonist and this and that. Say what you might it was simply a better game overall. I'm not talking about graphics either. 

There's nothing wrong with Call of Duty. I loved the original Modern Warfare... heck if it hadn't been killed by all of it's carbon copies I'd probably still be playing it. Battlefield 3 is just an improved copy of previous Battlefield's, I still greatly enjoy it.

So yes, would gaming be better with more originality? I think so. Should every single game out there be a completely distinct brand new thing that shared as little in common with other games as possible? I don't think that's possible and much less productive.

If you're burnt out from money-milking franchises (Halo, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, etc. etc.) then don't buy them...

#9 Posted by RaiceGeriko (34 posts) -

I don't think consumers are to blame at all. It's the natural result of big budgets. The game industry is doing exactly what Hollywood does every summer, and it's easy to understand why.

Every year, we get a collection of big budget blockbusters that are basically carbon copies of the movies that did well the previous year. When movie studios have a massive budget to work with, they don't want to take any risks. They play it safe by just recreating the last successful property.

That doesn't work so well with games, of course-- and we've seen one big budget flop after another, as studios prove that "playing it safe" in game design is suicidal.

CatAtomic999

Ehhh... I dunno man.  Maybe in the past we have had some huge big budget stinkers... but in recent years, there have been a lot of really huge movies that have been successful too.

Most of the Marvel super hero movies have been very successful, with the exception of one or two not fairing AS well as expected.  The Avengers was fantastic and deserve every bit of its success.  Man of Steel had an astronomical budget, and it was a pheonomenal film that KILLED at the box office, breaking opening weekend records even - and its still going strong.  The Dark Knight (though somewhat older now) and The Dark Knight rises were extremely good movies that made good money.

I think the Spiderman reboot was just a case of being "too soon", though it was of good quality.  Still, it did not meet expectations on sales.  John Carter was a total dud.  Green Lantern was... whatever.  Oblivion was a good movie, but it wasn't The Avengers or Man of Steel.  Star Trek 2 was actually a great film, but there was just no way it was going to hold onto anyone's attention with Man of Steel opening the very next weekend.  That was a bad play from a business standpoint, I think.  It's a shame too, because that was a quality film.

These are exciting times to be a popcorn enthusiast.  Being an MMO enthusiast?  Not so much...

#10 Posted by dinamo4ever (4 posts) -

unfortunately i think you are right. I was looking forward to TES Online, but when i saw PEGI 12, and other news about the game that it will make it WoW in Tamriel.... I decided not to  buy it :(

The game gosts the same for hardcore and casual gamesc, and like it or not we are the minority. My faith is not in crowd founding and indie games. If some indie games will sell well, maybe big companies will try to make games for us too.