Just another Korean grind game but..

#1 Posted by Army4God (54 posts) -

with interesting combat. Soon as the novelty of combat wears off, around level 20 or so, it is quickly realized just how much of a grind this game is.

#2 Posted by AlmityGuitarist (150 posts) -

If it's only interesting for 20 levels, why would you call it interesting?

#3 Posted by Army4God (54 posts) -

AlmityGuitarist
Because combat is interesting until the player gets used to it. Then it becomes just another element of the game. The meat of any MMO's is not the combat, it's the content. In the content area Tera is extremely lacking and the content that does exist is boring. So as I said, soon as the interesting part of combat wears off, the game fails. If they had put as much time into the actual meat of the game as they put in the combat this game could have been a really good one.
#4 Posted by blueness (1838 posts) -

I must admit, I was really enthusiastic for this game, and was absolutely enthralled for about a week or two (you can see my other posts in this forum giving my initial feedback). But having hit around level 30, I really did get quite bored, and found myself less enthusiastic to log in. Shame really, as the graphics were awesome, the fighting was fun certainly, and this game does have one of the nicest communities around. Alas, the lack of decent lore/story and grind were making it hard for me to enjoy it.

I will pop back in a couple of months I think certainly, and see how things are going, but for now I've gotten everything from Tera that I'm going to get.

#5 Posted by IshikawaS9 (7 posts) -

Yes I nearly quit a few times, but Im glad Im sticking with it. Theres alotta other stuff to do besides solo quest grinding. For example dueling, which is something Im focusing on as I level up (a lil addicted to this^^), is where I see the true combat at, not just grinding mobs. I also love forming a lil PvP party and go around ambushing random partys fighting BAMs haha. Speaking of BAMs, some take a ton of skill to fight even with a full party, like those friggin Nagas! Im playin a Slayer at the moment and I suspect the more agile classes are a bit more fun to play then simple tanks.

The key is simply not to spend all your time solo quest grinding, that **** gets lame if you do it for more then a few hours. Theres other stuff to do man, spread your wings a bit ^^

#6 Posted by Seventk (57 posts) -

Your speaking of a grind at 20?  Level 1-45 is easy mode.  Wait till you hit the 46- ~53 range.  I don't know of honestly any MMO that has fun and exciting quests, they are all the same with killing and delivering items.  You can't reinvent the wheel.  If you get board with questing, do the instances and get gear.  The game is more enjoyable with a solid 5man group of friends do to leveling excelleration and gear grinding.

#7 Posted by Army4God (54 posts) -

Your speaking of a grind at 20?  Level 1-45 is easy mode.  Wait till you hit the 46- ~53 range.  I don't know of honestly any MMO that has fun and exciting quests, they are all the same with killing and delivering items.  You can't reinvent the wheel.  If you get board with questing, do the instances and get gear.  The game is more enjoyable with a solid 5man group of friends do to leveling excelleration and gear grinding.

Seventk
Grind does not always mean "hard" it can also mean boring. That is what Tera becomes, boring. Saying the game is more enjoyable with a solid 5 man group could go with any MMO. This company basically released a combat system and put generic MMO parts around it. People play games that are fun and the server populations show that many aren't having fun with Tera.
#8 Posted by AncientDozer (8128 posts) -
Grind means LONG and TEDIOUS, typically and specifically referring to the effort outside of quests to level by killing random monsters for experience. You can blaze to 40 with little discomfort and the quests are plentiful and entertaining enough that you aren't reduced to picking fights with boars or bears. Clearly you've never actually played a typical Asian MMO but if you have, I question whether or not this is trolling.
#9 Posted by kemosabe-tbc (1326 posts) -

I don't know of honestly any MMO that has fun and exciting quests, they are all the same with killing and delivering items.  You can't reinvent the wheel.

Seventk

TSW

#10 Posted by AncientDozer (8128 posts) -

with interesting combat. Soon as the novelty of combat wears off, around level 20 or so, it is quickly realized just how much of a grind this game is.

Army4God
I. . what? This is a grind? Kids these days are spoiled by how dumbed down MMOs are these days. I remember Everquest, Final Fantasy 11, RF Online, Lineage II, and Ragnarok Online among other games. Those? Those were grinds. Grinds in the truest sense. I remember when a week's worth of progress could be wiped out in one death. When there were no quests that gave you 20 gold, an item upgrade, and half a level worth of experience; it all came down to hacking apart the same monster over and over. Tera Online is very friendly, very forgiving when it comes to what we consider a "grind". They give you dozens of quests a camp, all of them reasonably easy to do, before sending you to the next camp. And each quest piles on the gold and experience as well as occasionally giving you gear (I don't think I bought anything from the broker until the late 40s).
[QUOTE="AlmityGuitarist"]

Army4God
Because combat is interesting until the player gets used to it. Then it becomes just another element of the game. The meat of any MMO's is not the combat, it's the content. In the content area Tera is extremely lacking and the content that does exist is boring. So as I said, soon as the interesting part of combat wears off, the game fails. If they had put as much time into the actual meat of the game as they put in the combat this game could have been a really good one.

You talk about content but I don't get what you're complaining about? It's on par with its competitors with content. You get vibrant scenery, a variety of aesthetic choices for your characters, compelling cutscenes, and multiple story lines. Granted, they aren't the big budget flash and sparkle of Final Fantasy 11/14 with over the top cutscenes and they aren't the internet meme/pop culture laden quests of WoW but they have a kind of charm to it all.
#11 Posted by stev69 (110 posts) -

[QUOTE="Seventk"]

I don't know of honestly any MMO that has fun and exciting quests, they are all the same with killing and delivering items.  You can't reinvent the wheel.

kemosabe-tbc

TSW

Try playing DDO one day if you have the chance it doesn't have the generic bs quests at all. Played tera felt like a clone of Aion, both are crap, great visuals crap dull gameplay, and combat is as usual to slow.