Street Fighter returns for plasma TV's

User Rating: 8 | Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix X360
What do you do with a classic fighting game that set new grounds and is regarded as "the ultimate fighting game" to its fans? Well if you're a money-grabbing producer then you remake it for a new generation, and hope that they see the nice graphics and buy it. You see Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (or SSF2T as I will refer to it from now on) was a classic fighting game that was perfectly balanced and created by one of the best development teams at the time. I would even argue that it's one of the best fighting games of all time.

So why on earth did the devs feel that they had to "remake" it? They might as well call it Street Fighter for plasma TV's. You see the whole idea of SSF2THDR (what a mouthful) was to create a Street Fighter game for plasma TV's. So they took one of the best in the series, (although I still say Third Strike is the best Street Fighter game) got UDON Entertainment to redraw all the sprites and backgrounds, and finally OverClocked ReMix to "reimagine" the music.

Does it work? Well in my opinion you can't take a classic game wrap it up in loverly clothes and call it a remake. Then it does not become a remake but a totaly different game altogether. It's easy to see from the opening of the game, the look, and the music, that the game is being targeted at a teen demographic. Also the option to have the original sprite graphics, (however not the background ones) and the original music, proves my point entirely.

Now you may be asking yourself "why on earth has he rated the game so highly?" the answer is simple. Underneath all the razz and dazzle this is SSFT2 one of my favourite fighting games ever. Its still fun to play and brilliant with your friends or over live. Saying that the combo's feel a little fiddly to perform, probably down to the fact that the 360 controller is rubbish for 2D fighters.

So to finish I would say, if you want to play Street Fighter on your 64 inch plasma TV, then go ahead and buy this game. However if you're a hardcore SF fan like myself then you'll probably already have a 32 inch monitor with VGA and a copy of the game on the snes. Hardcore fans like us don't need this remake stuff, everyone else does.