What's gonna happen while I'm away from the game for a week?

#1 Posted by docwoo (340 posts) -

I've heard that this game continues to play even when turned off.  I'm gonna be out of town for almost a week.  What should I expect to happen while I'm gone?  Will my entire home base be decimated and abandoned or will I just have to re-stock a few supplies? 

#2 Posted by burback2 (289 posts) -

half your survivors will be dead or missing and a bunch supplies will be gone. I think its horse crap myself. love the concept of this game but the fact it plays itself turned me right off. I didn't even discover this until after I had played through the trial and a 4 hour session. Started up the game and boom everybodys dead. so dumb.

#3 Posted by twaitsfan (189 posts) -

I agree - you should be able to shut off the simulation since, big surprise, the world goes to crap when the AI takes over.  It probably would've been too difficult to make it optional though, so they should've just bagged the idea all together.

#4 Posted by docwoo (340 posts) -

Thanks for the heads-up.  I just came back from vacation and I'm almost afraid to turn the game on.  Not sure what condition my survivors will be in.  The other day, I turned the game off for only a couple hours, but when I came back I got a message that one of my survivors had wandered off and was in trouble.  He died 2 minutes later before I had a chance to figure out what was going on.  

I love the game, but it seems unfair (and disappointing) that all of your hard work can be completely undone while you're not even playing!  I understand that Undead Labs is trying to make the game challenging and create tension, but it seems like this part of the game could have been better implemented, or at least explained.

#5 Posted by jlhetrick (4 posts) -
anyone tried removing the hard drive from the 360 while not playing to see if that prevents the game from "living on" while you are not playing or playing something else?
#6 Posted by cortana64 (435 posts) -

anyone tried removing the hard drive from the 360 while not playing to see if that prevents the game from "living on" while you are not playing or playing something else? jlhetrick

Dissconect from live adjust the clock to when you stoped playing.