My only question is why?

#1 Posted by galactic88 (35 posts) -

With all the zombie games made say in the last five years, just why hasn't there been a survival-fallout version where you can cruise the landscape, establish a base, and scout for supplies, until now?!

Not hating love the game for the price, just saying.

#2 Posted by dark_rising76 (1176 posts) -

That's a very good question. I'm sure now other developers will follow what this game did. I know that there was supposed be an Xbox Live game called Fortnite that comes out this year that does something like State of Decay as far as fortified bases against zombies.

#3 Posted by NicotineKid (1475 posts) -

I've thought of that myself. Perhaps we will see simular games in the future, who knows.

#4 Posted by sillywillyphil (4 posts) -

With all the zombie games made say in the last five years, just why hasn't there been a survival-fallout version where you can cruise the landscape, establish a base, and scout for supplies, until now?!

Not hating love the game for the price, just saying.

galactic88
I have always been waiting for a zombie game like this. The closest ever was dayz, and barricading sucks in that game. I hope there are more of these Still getting the last of us though.
#5 Posted by JDFS (632 posts) -

I asked myself the same thing months ago when I first saw a video on youtube of SoD, I've been wanting such a game for years. I'm waiting it on PC but I can't waaaaait! 

#6 Posted by TrueGB (117 posts) -

I can't speak for all professional game designers, but from I design perspective I can see how a pure scavanging survival game can be seen as a detracting factor and not a fun factor. If you think about it, running around to constantly replenish your supplies for the sheer sake of having supplies sounds like a chore and chores aren't meant to be fun. It may work for a little while, but eventually it will get stale and all you'll remember about the game is all that work you had to do to keep others alive.

Scavenging works for action games because all you need is health items and ammo to keep going, but for a very long term inventory management game like an open world RPG, it's just a lot of secondary work. This is why you get games like Fallout and Borderlands and Dead Island where the scavenging is actually secondary to some other major feature of the game. Sure, you may have to search for stuff, but once you get it you're done. Those games are actually looters where all loot ties into gaining power, even the minor stuff. It's used to buy or craft new stuff.

From what I understand, State of Decay doesn't allow you to keep powerful items for very long and everything gets consumed over time even when you're not playing; thus, you're not looting for greed and can not achieve an abundance of items for the sake of attaining more powerful gear and loot. You're always operating at a deficiency, and like a shooter where it seems like you're always desperate to find more ammo, that can get frustrating. Since that's a common trait of action/horror games, and we know publishers don't like horror games anymore, then you can imagine how pitching a mechanic like that could throw off a publisher and throw the game back into something more acceptably mainstream.

Anyway, I'm not saying anything against State of Decay. I'm just saying that's how a designer could see it.

#7 Posted by Shivatin (3 posts) -

Fortnite is a PC only game now.

#8 Posted by barleybosh (155 posts) -
The resources requirements for your party to survive are not bad other than the resource "building materials". As far as ammo that you're able to personally use goes, you have plenty. Every survivor base has a ton of ammo in their supply caches that you can just take granted you have enough trade points. Those come so easy so long as you're playing casually.