Confirmed: F2P in Fall 2012

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

About an hour ago this news story broke on Joystiq's Massively section. It confirms that SWTOR is going F2P. There are no details as to why BioWare Austin is making this move but it has been confirmed that it is happening. Free-to-players will have restricted access to the game. *EDIT* New information made available here shows the kind of limitations set on F2Pers.

A new cash-shop has been confirmed and the F2P is estimated to drop after the 1.4 patch which will tie up the story line regarding the Dread Masters. No confirmation on how this will affect their plans for expansions or future content patches.

Current subscribers will have the option of continuing their subscription where they will be exempt from microtransaction purchases for new content and will be given an allotment of cash shop currency per month with which to purchase cash shop items. *EDIT* Subscribers will be getting extra cash shop currency for every month subscribed since the beginning of the game and bonus cash shop currency for every month they remain subscribed after this announcement and another bonus if they remain subscribed the day F2P drops. That information can be found here.

For a detailed breakdown of what this could mean Larry Everett of Joystiq.com predicted this F2P move just one week ago. You can find his article here. One interesting point made is that this move is not necessarily in response to dipping subscription numbers. This news comes at an interesting time in that the EA Q1 2013 investor's conference is happening today. That report will contain detailed information on SWTOR's current subscription numbers. The fact that this news was released mere hours before the subscription numbers become public is likely not a coincidence. I'll post more information as it becomes available.

*EDIT* The investor's call was extremely dodgy regarding current subscription numbers, however one quote stood out and I will post it here:

"EA First, the game many of you have been tracking closely, Star Wars: The Old Republic.
Although it launched well, subscriptions have been on a declining trajectory and have now slipped below one million. Last year we announced that the breakeven point was roughly 500,000 subscribers. And while we are well above that today, thats not good enough.The message from players exiting the game is clear 40 percent say they were turned off by the monthly subscription. And many indicated they would come back if we offered a free-to-play model. Our plan now is to pivot and provide a two-tiered pricing plan which will make the game more accessible and grow the audience.The new pricing will go into effect in November."

So that's about as good as it is right now. Less than a million, more than 500k.

#4 Posted by d151 (91 posts) -

Since I mainly played for the story line anyways, I'm actually excited to try it again. That was my biggest beef with this game, paying a sub for basically a single player game with the occasional random grouping thrown in. This game from the very get go had "f2p" written all over it.

#5 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

Since I mainly played for the story line anyways, I'm actually excited to try it again. That was my biggest beef with this game, paying a sub for basically a single player game with the occasional random grouping thrown in. This game from the very get go had "f2p" written all over it.

d151
Well the single player story lines will be free-to-play. However, if you intend on participating in many of the game's group activities like PVP or Flashpoints you'll be limited without a subscription and not allowed to participate in Operations.
#7 Posted by jackliu239 (880 posts) -

I know you are concerned about me, but don't worry, I'm doing ok, I didn't go down with the Tortanic. In fact I stole an life boat along with whole bunch of loots way before the ship even got near an iceburg. I'm ok..

#8 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

Started during 1st week of early access, beat one of the class storyline within 2 weeks, sold the game to some fool in my guild for 120 dollar.... saw this whole thing coming within 2 hours after beating the class story.jackliu239

So... just to be clear you quit playing SWTOR in early January. It is now the end of July. You have been trolling the forums of a game you haven't played for 7 months... for 7 months. Wow... I don't even want to mock you. That's so sad. The fact is I've had fun for 7 months. I'm still having fun and I'm still subbed, along with hundreds of thousands of other people. Instead of having fun you're trolling a video game forum of a game you haven't played in 7 months and have been doing so for the full 7 months. I truly cannot express how sorry I feel for you.

Really there are only 2 winners here: BioWare Austin who still made a profit and are switching over to a model that has been demonstrated to increase profitability 700%and the players like me who have spent our time doing something we enjoy. The only loser in this equation is you. A guy who can't move on with his life and comes into a forum to claim some perceived victory that exists only in his mind.

#10 Posted by sfreda (18 posts) -

Plus I read the price was dropping to 15 bucks. Personally, I'm having a great time with the game, only been on it a couple of weeks.

#11 Posted by roguebot (47 posts) -

This is for the best I think, although the game's only noteworthy distinguishing factor is the class story* and I'm not sure how many people will be interested in paying for PvP, flashpoints, and operations when other MMOs offer higher-quality dungeons and PvP.

I think their most successful microntransactions will be those related to the continuation of class stories and new companions.

Anyways, hope it works out and I hope Bioware sees enough revenue from the F2P model to bring this game closer to its potential.

*Voiceover is also a distinguishing factor, but I include that with class story considering no one plays flashpoints or PvP for the voiceover and it's obviously unlikely that Bioware will charge for it.

#12 Posted by gdawg234 (7 posts) -

This game was the worst 90 dollars I have ever spent. Wow is superior to this game in almost every way. Bioware outta be ashamed of this disaster. Oh and I already know that EA rep megotaku will e on this message so fast so HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA this game sucks.

#13 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

This game was the worst 90 dollars I have ever spent. Wow is superior to this game in almost every way. Bioware outta be ashamed of this disaster. Oh and I already know that EA rep megotaku will e on this message so fast so HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA this game sucks.

gdawg234

Its a shame there are people who defend Activision Blizzard.  Its good that you enjoy WoW and I'm happy you have a fun game, but you really should move on with your life instead of trolling other people's games.  Its kind of hard to take you seriously when WoW has lost 2 million subs in the past year due to declining quality and is now going to release an expansion with pandas and pokemon minigames.  To Activision Blizzard you're nothing more than a drooling cash muppet.  Don't believe me?  Diablo 3.  They've charged full price for their MMO expansions, the ONLY company to do so.  I played WoW for 7 years and when the company hired Gregg Street and his gang of profiteers for Cataclysm I couldn't support the company anymore.  Waiting 6-7 months for them to release 6 new bosses and rehashes of old dungeons.  If you feel WoW has earned your sub, power to you.  They haven't earned mine.  Keep playing WoW if you enjoy it, but don't act like WoW retains its position due to its quality.  It does so due to its size.  

If the F2P model ends up harming this game's quality I will unsub.  I'm unconvinced that F2P was a good business decision this early in the game, but win or lose BioWare is going to prove or disprove the claim that F2P is the new model for MMOs.  No company has ever gone F2P with even half of these subs.  If SWTOR's profitability increases with between 500k and 1m subs, then don't expect many other titles to release with a subscription model in the future.  This little experiment is going to change the way developers look at the subscription model.

#14 Posted by SolidPandaG (218 posts) -

Looks like the dream is over. Viva la republic!

#15 Posted by jackliu239 (880 posts) -

[QUOTE="gdawg234"]

Megotaku77

Its a shame there are people who defend Activision Blizzard.  Its good that you enjoy WoW and I'm happy you have a fun game, but you really should move on with your life instead of trolling other people's games.  Its kind of hard to take you seriously when WoW has lost 2 million subs in the past year due to declining quality and is now going to release an expansion with pandas and pokemon minigames.  To Activision Blizzard you're nothing more than a drooling cash muppet.  Don't believe me?  Diablo 3.  They've charged full price for their MMO expansions, the ONLY company to do so.  I played WoW for 7 years and when the company hired Gregg Street and his gang of profiteers for Cataclysm I couldn't support the company anymore.  Waiting 6-7 months for them to release 6 new bosses and rehashes of old dungeons.  If you feel WoW has earned your sub, power to you.  They haven't earned mine.  Keep playing WoW if you enjoy it, but don't act like WoW retains its position due to its quality.  It does so due to its size.  

If the F2P model ends up harming this game's quality I will unsub.  I'm unconvinced that F2P was a good business decision this early in the game, but win or lose BioWare is going to prove or disprove the claim that F2P is the new model for MMOs.  No company has ever gone F2P with even half of these subs.  If SWTOR's profitability increases with between 500k and 1m subs, then don't expect many other titles to release with a subscription model in the future.  This little experiment is going to change the way developers look at the subscription model.

Agreed with you, WoW is dying, it is loosing subs like crazy, unlike SWTOR which is doing soooooo well, only a matter of time before Blizzard shuts down and all mighty EAware dominates everything with the best game in the world SWTOR.
#16 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -
[QUOTE="jackliu239"] Agreed with you, WoW is dying, it is loosing subs like crazy, unlike SWTOR which is doing soooooo well, only a matter of time before Blizzard shuts down and all mighty EAware dominates everything with the best game in the world SWTOR.

Why are you still here? I thought you had a life? I mean I have a reason to be here. I play and subscribe to this game and participate in its community. You haven't played this game in 7 months. Heck despite your best efforts to claim you haven't been trolling these forums for seven months I have forum posts of you posting in May and earlier. You've been here trolling for seven months. Its utterly laughable that you would accuse anyone else of not having a life. Seriously bro, get a life. I imagine you hanging from your closet with a belt around your neck soon because no one whose life is so utterly empty they spend THIS much time on things they claim not to care about can be a happy individual. Get a life, get some help, please.
#18 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

I'll accept your apology for the constant attacks, lies, slander, and insults you spewed when I TOLD YOU this was happening in June mego, you windbag.

I'm glad it was you who posted this, since you attacked me so much for stating the truth then.

#19 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

I'll accept your apology for the constant attacks, lies, slander, and insults you spewed when I TOLD YOU this was happening in June mego, you windbag.

I'm glad it was you who posted this, since you attacked me so much for stating the truth then.

vishisluv7

You didn't state the truth. The fact that your position was vindicated in the end is coincidence. I asked you repeatedly, time and time again for sources backing up your position. Instead you chose to resort to character assassinations, quote mines, and repeating information you were already corrected on. You need to learn how to argue little forum troll. Just because your conclusion ended up being correct doesn't mean your argument held any merit because your premises were flawed. The game wasn't going F2P in June. It was going F2P late July. Why? Because that's when the analysts began getting ACTUAL word from the game developers. The ONLY people that were right and proved that I was wrong are people like Swedish_Chef who were saying "F2P models are taking over the MMO industry simply because they are more profitable". YOU weren't one of them. You were a trolling little liar who is right by mere coincidence, not because you knew anything. You still don't know anything because I would put money down that you didn't read any of my sources, quotes or posts.

Instead you're here like Jackliu239 trolling the forum of a game you haven't played for seven months for seven months to claim some victory that doesn't actually exist. SWTOR goes F2P with between 500k and 1m subs. So what? I already linked an article from an MMO released last year that saw a 700% jump in profitability going F2P (something I wasn't aware of when I was defending the subscription model), but instead of looking at the MONEY Lebowski you're here claiming that your flawed argument was right all along. Seriously despite the fact that I have serious reservations about the game going F2P at the end of the day I'm just a guy who enjoys playing a game and wants to participate in that game's community. You're a troll, wandering the internet harassing people for the crime of liking something you don't.

I'm an evolutionary biologist in training at university. When I troll someone its substantive, because they're trying to do things like putting intelligent design in our public schools, or taking away gay people's rights, or lying about scientific fields like climatology. Or like that amoral parasite Jackliu239 try to justify slave labor in the third world. Something you were so unbelievably ignorant about you actually accused me of "raging against China". What do you do? Spend your time harassing people in the forums of games you claim not to like or care about but can't stop talking about for half a year on end. The saddest part is that you actually think you've won some victory. Well congratulations, despite your horrendously incorrect premises your conclusion was vindicated. Does it feel good? Can you move on with your life now and get out of my community? Or will you be back day after day like the rest of these forum trolls to ensure that not decent community can ever fluourish here again? My guess is the latter. Because there is no endgame here. You have NOTHING to look forward to because you aren't a member of any community, you have nothing. That's why you've been here instead of there wherever there might have been.

#20 Posted by Kane04 (2069 posts) -
I just hope this doesn't end with 2 currencies, the regular credits and the credits you buy with real money that would ultimately be the exchange coin for everything that's worth anything in the game. If the game isn't as fun as it could be right now (ence why i have my account idle for the moment) having a game where the top dogs are the ones with the biggest wallet is surely not gonna improve anything. I like this game a lot, and i see tons of room for improvement, and i don't mean just group finder or custom UI. With a bit of (maybe some) work this game can get a lot more fun to play and ultimately thats the key of every successful game, it needs to be fun to play.
#21 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

Hey guys and gals, 

This is just a quick reminder about forum invading. If you are here for the purpose of constantly saying the game of this board sucks, you are forum invading.

If you want to back up why a game isn't so great, you can do this while backing up reasons why you think it stinks. Thiis board is intended for people who want to discuss the game, not for people to ridicule each other . Thanks.