Bad news about info for being an MMO type of game. I hope not

#1 Posted by Simplythebest12 (25 posts) -

The game itself includes a "sophisticated storyline" that is set in a persistent online universe.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wing-commander-creator-returns-with-star-citizen-6397998

I do not like what i hear from the first info about this. I do not want this to be an MMO space game that is for sure :?

#2 Posted by beardman15 (4 posts) -

Agreed, I am really annoyed how games are all going that route and end up sacrificing fun gameplay and a good interface in order to simplify it so you can have hordes of people playing at the same time. After what they did to SWTOR and LOTR online, I don't want to see another MMO

#3 Posted by keeperdude07 (55 posts) -

You should watch the rest of the information in the video conference, he actually explains it pretty well. It doesn't sound like any generic, WoW MMO to me and he says as much.

#4 Posted by Judicator75 (3 posts) -

You should watch the rest of the information in the video conference, he actually explains it pretty well. It doesn't sound like any generic, WoW MMO to me and he says as much.

keeperdude07

Agreed. And there will be offline single/multiplayer modes as well, just not in the persistent evolving online universe.

I'm a little worried about the physics and its representation from the video. They should lose the wingtip "vapor" trails that would not exist in space (or at least make that an option to turn off). They should also have the engines off if the ship is not accelerating, and if they add RCS thruster visuals for stopping ship movement after the player stops his/her roll/pitch/yaw input.

Either way... I'm excited!

#5 Posted by Volgin (107 posts) -

It's not an MMO per say, there is a single player campaign consisting of 48 missions, the depth of the storyline and its richness depends on the amount of funding the get from us, so the greater the better. The online portion is persistent and completly free similar to freelancer, which is fantastic. There will be microtransactions for people who have jobs, and cannot bother to grind through the MMO aspect of the game to get the creds and XP, so they pay to catch up, but they do not get an edge.

But most importantly is that there will be single player offline.

#6 Posted by styymy (477 posts) -

Its amazing how so many people don't bother going to a game's official site.  He does a good job of describing how the game will be and it won't be MMO style. Much more information is avialable on the game's official website. Including other video on the on the phsics of the ships you'll be flying and the scale of the games environment which is HUGE by the way.

#7 Posted by alphatango1 (3778 posts) -

For someone who grew up playing games like Wing commander and freelancer, I know its exactly what this game will be like.

Think of a battle star galactic type of scenario and you will be very close to what this will be. All the WC games were very heavily influenced by it, down to the starhound ship and Kilarathi designs. It was quite excellent. Roberts makes it clear that this game will be a combat air sim and then let the player loose on the galaxy to do what they wish.

Im delighted that he's making a PC only game.

#8 Posted by robokill (1064 posts) -
Dark Souls Multiplayer Mechanics on a mass scale + Space Sim + Crytek Engine = best game ever Honestly, I can't play any other games in anticipation for this. It's the game I've wanted for 10 years