Demo seems like sort of a mess of "meh"

#1 Posted by DriftEJ20 (97 posts) -

Played through the majority of the demo, this game reminds me of the old Spec Ops games and not in a good way. The game isn't bad by any means, but in almost every category it screams mediocrity. The premise is cool, but other than that I don't see any sort of innovation anywhere and I've seen everything done better elsewhere. The graphics are pretty good, but aside from the scale it isn't trying anything too difficult. There seems to be little destruction in the environment, I'm not seeing any insane particle effects or anything, and while the scale is nice, you're being funneled down pretty linear level design. While I like the aesthetic of the area, it's a very limiting set up in that with the city being all under sand, even compared to games like Crysis 2 taking part entirely in New York, at least not everything was orange. I just see the same look getting old after a while in terms of multiplayer and them being limited to Dubai. Despite how far fetched the story is, at least Call of Duty and Battlefield have multiple locals to build multiplayer maps that fit with the story.

Other than that, I found the gunplay, cover system, enemy AI and team controls to all be pretty uninspired. I don't see anything new being done here outside of the core setup of being in Dubai during a sandstorm. While Battlefield spoils on this account, the sound of guns and explosions fell sort of flat on my ears. Overall I can't leave with an impression other than the fact that this is a cover shooter, which means it's going up against Max Payne 3, Gears of War 3 and Uncharted 3. MP3 isn't out yet but Max Payne has not disappointed in the past, and even just Gears 3 and UC3 are some of the best games out right now, and even with a little bit more age they are both graphical showcases to this day for console visual achievement. The story doesn't seem that interesting to me either, and the demo didn't give me the impression it was going to be conveyed in a way I would care about it at all. Also, considering you are "Spec Ops", they should incorporate some more bleeding edge technology into your arsenal (one of the only pages I'd take from MW3) and let you use some in-developement or newly adopted weapons instead of the same M249 and M4A1 that you use in every modern shooter since at least Counter-Strike.

#2 Posted by AllSystemsRocks (1078 posts) -

after the demo its a first day buy to me... they have put a demo over a month of the relaese date, these days you need balls to doing that !

#3 Posted by BravoOneActual (563 posts) -
I'm downloading the demo as I type this, so I'll get a feel soon enough. I have the feeling we'll have another culty to go alongside Alpha Protocol, Sniper Elite V2 and Mirror's Edge. In other words, we'll get a tepidly reviewed game with a certain lack of "AAA" quality and some technical issues, but it will have it's loyalists and a few daring gamers who will discover it's significantly better than the 6.5's it'll get from "pro" reviewers. Like those other games, a price drop will probably shake loose a few more buyers well after launch and the "Hey! It doesn't suck!" threads will trickle in. That's this one damned fool's opinion, anyway.
#4 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

I completely agree with the OP.

The demo seems mediocre in EVERY way.

#5 Posted by gamerdad7 (41 posts) -

I rather liked it compared to a lot of other demos I've tried recently. I do agree with some of the observations here but the demo encouraged me to take another look when the game comes out.

#6 Posted by 3kratos3 (674 posts) -

I found the demo starting on the helicopter on rails shooter that MW3, BFBC2, and countless other games have done set the tone for me. It isn't anything different from anything else, which isn't a major fault, but it has the same set pieces. I am sorry, but having Nolan North be your voice guy as you start me off in a desert isn't a good idea. I honestly thought I put Uncharted 3 in and had to look up and see if i was still in the demo. I have read that the story is awesome but all these threads I am seeing about 4.5 hour run throughs on hard is so disheartening! Especially with the multiplayer being lackluster. I just can't find the value of $60 in this game. 

#7 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I just played through the entire game on Normal in one setting. I was expecting value game quality. What surprised me is the AI is actually pretty good in the on-foot sections. There are a few on-rails sections that are very lackluster and arcade, but you can't really judge the whole game by them. There are many visceral battles and you will need to manage your weapons, ammo, positioning, and squad commands well to get through them.

Where I felt the game was a let down was the story, immature dialog, consolish controls and a few immersion breaking details, like the fact that none of them wear goggles or scarfs to cover their eyes, nose, mouth and ears, despite doing a mission in the middle of the worst sand storm in history. It's also overly scripted with cinematic scenes, but I expected that.

Overall I'd rate it 7.5/10, which is pretty close to the ave rating on review sites for the console versions. I'm playing on PC though. Those whom rate it higher all seem to have one thing in common, they like the story, even though it's yet another that parallels Heart of Darkness, and in an even worse way than Far Cry 2 if you ask me. Many are likin git just for the shock value.

Perhaps the most absurd thing about the story is they constantly try and give you the feeling of struggling with morality, yet they emphasize that in this scenario ammo is a precious commodity, even made by citizens via melting jewelry into bullets. They also emphasize that weapons/ammo can't be taken from corpses until they are dead.

The result is the player is often bashing the heads of moaning, still live enemies to kill them and get their ammo. I tend to think that would somewhat desensitize players toward the underlying theme of a duality between morailty and immorality, and rather contradict the intended effect of the story. Yet so many like this game's story, go figire. :roll:

What's odd is Six Days in Falujah has yet to be released over the controvery and sensitivity of it's true to life story content, yet a team can make a game as graphic as this that basically paints soldiers as incapable of knowing right from wrong and no one seems to care, as long as it's ficticious.

#8 Posted by BravoOneActual (563 posts) -
[QUOTE="BravoOneActual"]I'm downloading the demo as I type this, so I'll get a feel soon enough. I have the feeling we'll have another culty to go alongside Alpha Protocol, Sniper Elite V2 and Mirror's Edge. In other words, we'll get a tepidly reviewed game with a certain lack of "AAA" quality and some technical issues, but it will have it's loyalists and a few daring gamers who will discover it's significantly better than the 6.5's it'll get from "pro" reviewers. Like those other games, a price drop will probably shake loose a few more buyers well after launch and the "Hey! It doesn't suck!" threads will trickle in. That's this one damned fool's opinion, anyway.

*Sigh* You'd think I'd get tired of always being 100% correct in these predictions....