What do you think of the driving gameplay?

#1 Posted by DamnILoveGames (139 posts) -
I'm a bit stuck on what to think of the driving. It looks very similar to Saints Row which I don't like. It makes the cars feel weightless and almost like they're on rails. However, shooting out the tyre of an enemy car looks deeply satisfying as they take off the ground in slow motion and then slam into the ground.
#2 Posted by bluAstrid (665 posts) -

It looks horrible... But I really like the idea of slow-motion aiming. I'm pretty sure it'll beat Saints Row as the "second best" open world action game, but I still can't wait for GTA V.

#3 Posted by DamnILoveGames (139 posts) -
Yeah the slow mo does look awesome. I just hope gta 5 isn't being too overhyped. People sound like they're expecting a life simulator that will have everything imaginable.
#4 Posted by DrKill09 (6238 posts) -

What are you talking about?  Saints Row had perfect driving physics.  Fast and fun... unlike GTA 4, where the cars never turned.

#5 Posted by Uncle-Tunee (87 posts) -

ha you'll see--this game is gory, arcadey fun! should keep you busy while waiting for gta 5.

the driving is actually quite good. bo!

#6 Posted by DamnILoveGames (139 posts) -
I should perhaps of been more specific. It was better in Saints Row The Third, but I just didn't like it in Saints Row 2.
#7 Posted by Dragokai (411 posts) -

video impression: gonna suck looks really like the driving mechanics of those need for speed games that sucked(they say'd in a interview that they hired NFS workers for the driving mechanics).

first time driving: WTF ?!

having drived for 1-2 hours or something(with (side)missions): yeah, it's driveable, had played games with worse driving mechanics.

2-3 hours: it's fun! with the drifting thingi you can turn really fast(when the car is standing still and you want to turn included), drifting around the corner and other things, i rarely use the backwards button just pressing B and then turn, it's fun, i am really enjoying it now.

only con is that the camera is kinda sticky,hard .it's hard to look at your sides while pressing the accelerate button.

hope this helped ;)

#8 Posted by bigbangsun (246 posts) -

Motorcycles > Cars > Boats

How I rank 'em in enjoyment and function.

#9 Posted by jubeio (1571 posts) -

I loved the driving in saints row 2 and 3
didn't like it in GTA4
so far not enjoying it in this apart from in chases where you bash pursuing cars, thats fun, but people have said it can take a while to start enjoying this driving properly so shall see how it goes 

#10 Posted by Agarwel (85 posts) -
The driving is kind of awkward. But other parts of the game are so good I gladly forgave this one "problem" (it is not a real problem. You get use to it quickly. It looks weird. But it is not unplayable) I personally hated the map design. Each part of the city is connected just by the highway around the coast. Or few road in the middle full of turns. Forcing you to take huge detours and increasing the travel time, when not needed.
#11 Posted by Leeric420 (53 posts) -

Its acrcade driving mechanics, just like SR. I would say its not as polished as SR but its still fun. Motorcycles are probably where it shines above SR and GTA. The shooting mechanic while driving and the slow-mo that happens when your shooting cars closer to you is way more badass than anything SR or GTA did.

#12 Posted by Kickable (1087 posts) -
i much prefer GTA4 driving but I can still have alot of fun with SR3 and this. SR3 probably has the most responsive out of the all of them though, you really had to be blind to wreck. the driving in this game did feel a bit awkward to me though the first few hours.
#13 Posted by Deku20 (3411 posts) -

I have to disagree with everyone above. To me, the driving mechanics in Sleping Dogs are just fine. The cars are heavy enough to  really have trouble turning very quickly, bui it is fine if you slow down before the turn and brake into it, which is pretty realistic to me. Honestly, the cars and motorcycles feel real.

The only problem for me is that the collisions never feel right. Crash into a car when on a motorcycles and chances are you won't fly off. Car on car crashes are a little akward. The cars both just stop, and a few wrinkles appear. There isn't any real punch to the collision.

Anyway, to me the mechanics are way better than Saints Row 2, but I have never played Grand Theft Auto 4 so I can't compare it to that.

#14 Posted by DamnILoveGames (139 posts) -
Well after receiving the game on Saturday and playing it a lot, I can happily say that I do find the driving to be very fun, and luckily not what I was expecting. Ok it's similar to SR3 but I still find it somewhat more fun. Anyway, thanks for the posts guys.
#15 Posted by sbdb (436 posts) -

I have to disagree with everyone above. To me, the driving mechanics in Sleping Dogs are just fine. The cars are heavy enough to  really have trouble turning very quickly, bui it is fine if you slow down before the turn and brake into it, which is pretty realistic to me. Honestly, the cars and motorcycles feel real.Deku20

You're obviosuly a 10 year old who has never driven a real car if you qualify this as realistic.

#16 Posted by The_King82 (47 posts) -

The mechanics are great and responsive.  Arcady but not like the crap mechanics in GTA4.

#17 Posted by JDFS (630 posts) -

Pretty bad, the driving in SD is arcade and blocky, GTA IV was more realistic and smooth, and in SD if you crash at 150km/h in a pole you just stop there like if it's nothing and the car has barely a scratch on it, the cars are horrible in this game just like the ragdolls.

#18 Posted by bottaboomstick (2598 posts) -

What are you talking about?  Saints Row had perfect driving physics.  Fast and fun... unlike GTA 4, where the cars never turned.

DrKill09
GTA 4 the cars do turn...if you know how to drive. You can check out some sweet driving vids on youtube for GTA4...maybe you can find a vid giving you some tips. My only tip would be feather the e-break. Some think realism in games is fun...others like arcade stuff. I find fun in challenging gameplay...realism usually offers a challenge. Arcade is more casual and easy to learn. Neither are bad options are good.
#19 Posted by Deku20 (3411 posts) -

You're obviosuly a 10 year old who has never driven a real car if you qualify this as realistic.

sbdb

Why would you say that? I am an adult, I have driven before, and I find the driving mechanics in this game to be realistic. Remember, not everyone in life will have the same expiriences and opinions.

#20 Posted by bigbangsun (246 posts) -

Cars:

GTA IV is numero uno here. It's not realistic, but the cars feel like they have weight to them.

Motorcycles:

Sleeping Dogs. The feel like they move proper enough, and the feel of speed is off the charts.

Boats, Planes, Helicopters:

Just Cause 2. Without a doubt the reigning king in this department. So many options to choose from.

In terms of "racing events", Sleeping Dogs wins by a landslide. I actually enjoy racing in this game opposed to the racing events in GTA IV and Just Cause 2. It doesn't feel like a chore in Sleeping Dogs, because the routes they choose and the feel of speed makes it a well rounded experience.

#21 Posted by The_King82 (47 posts) -

What are you talking about? Saints Row had perfect driving physics. Fast and fun... unlike GTA 4, where the cars never turned.

DrKill09

QFT!

#22 Posted by LtlDuDe346 (1354 posts) -

i loved the driving in gta iv, there was an art to it. and what people fail to realize about gta iv is that you're drving at 50+ mph and trying to take a 90 degree turn and you complain the car doesn't turn tight enough?? really?