Question for those who have it/played it

#1 Posted by Agrzybianek (105 posts) -
Do you guys like the game? I love games like GTA and Saints row but i wanna hear from someone that played the game that it's awesome and worth getting lol. so is it?
#2 Posted by bluAstrid (665 posts) -

Nowhere near the quality of GTA, but it easily blows SR out of the water.

Yay :

• Great melee combat system which actually poses a challenge compared to the usually over-easy gun-fight,
  • Great story (so far), I'm about 10 hours in.

Nay :

• Horrible vehicule physics,
  • Relatively small customization options,
  • Next-to-no tutorial : I had to do a lot of guesswork to understand how stuff work.
#3 Posted by kelvingreen (4 posts) -

Can it be played in Cantonese? I've seen some gameplay videos that feature the protagonist speaking English, but I'm wondering if there's an option to switch that to Cantonese.

It's not a major issue, but I always watch Hong Kong movies in the original language, so it would seem weird to play a HK game -- I know the game's not from HK, but you get what I mean -- in English.

#4 Posted by bluAstrid (665 posts) -

Can it be played in Cantonese? I've seen some gameplay videos that feature the protagonist speaking English, but I'm wondering if there's an option to switch that to Cantonese.

It's not a major issue, but I always watch Hong Kong movies in the original language, so it would seem weird to play a HK game -- I know the game's not from HK, but you get what I mean -- in English.

kelvingreen

About a third of dialogues are in cantonese, and you have the option to not use any subtitles.

#5 Posted by kelvingreen (4 posts) -

So there are subtitle options, but no language options? Okay. Thanks!

#6 Posted by DrKill09 (6238 posts) -

We'll see.  SR is the king of open world crime games.  This'll have to be REALLY good to compete.

#7 Posted by matob27 (96 posts) -

ha. sr3 was fun but this is just as good. neither compare to gta

#8 Posted by Zoomer30 (4349 posts) -

Its kinda like the Godfather game from a few years back from EA: You can tell the stuff they put the time into and the stuff they rushed. Driving, they rushed. The cars drive like they are on rails floating off the ground at the same time. They seem too "light". Rockstar has spoiled us with the Euphoria engine and what real physics look and feel like.

As mentioned before by me, the cheackpoint system is a joke. Why bother. Dont know how many times I have had to go back to the beginning.

Also I still cant get through the "fight club" near the dojo (the place where you take Amanda and get to collect the jade things). Gotten to the 6th round but at least twice I jumped off the balcony on accident and lost.

For new players: Go around and find all the health things. You can bascially double your health once you get them all. If you take Amanda out on her goofy date her perk is that all the health things show on the minimap when your near them.

#9 Posted by wholedamshow_11 (470 posts) -

I love this game. there are some quirks of course but overall it's really good and worth the money.

#10 Posted by Agarwel (85 posts) -

Well. Overall it is not as good as GTA IV. Finghts and gunfights are much better imho. But driving and few bugs are dragging it down. But I would definetely suggest to buy it. It is blast to play it and real pure fun. Im not regretting the money nor the time.

#11 Posted by Leeric420 (53 posts) -

Nowhere near the quality of GTA, but it easily blows SR out of the water.

Yay :

• Great melee combat system which actually poses a challenge compared to the usually over-easy gun-fight,
  • Great story (so far), I'm about 10 hours in.

Nay :

• Horrible vehicule physics,
  • Relatively small customization options,
  • Next-to-no tutorial : I had to do a lot of guesswork to understand how stuff work.
bluAstrid
I disagree with your Nays. First off this has more customization options than GTA 4 The vehicle physics are fine, its arcade not realistic like GTA 4 more like SR3, ride a motorcycle for example its way better than gtas and SRs. Next to no tutorial? I dont even know what your talking about, it takes you through shooting people and how to activate slow mo, it shows you how to fight and counter, it tells you how to drive and shoot. It takes you through buying clothes for face points, and purchasing buffs through food/massages. Besides from, go to the glowing icon on the map what more tutorial is there? My nays are, Its hard to find a gun out of missions without assaulting a police officer, your gun disappears if you die, reload, save, whatever, bigger guns cant be stored on you, you either have them in hand or you drop them, and good luck finding those unless you have a wanted level above 3. The camera, specifically while driving is awful. Its way to shaky.
#12 Posted by StarKiller2127 (392 posts) -

i got the game on day one and it is fun.  it isn't on par with saints row 2 for me that is by far the best open world game of the current generation.  but this one is great im having a good time.  i really like that the game focuses on mele other than gun play.  and this game is 100x better than GTA4 which was total crap. 

#13 Posted by Deku20 (3411 posts) -

I played Saints Row for a very long time, but I prefer Sleeping Dogs over it without contest. Sleeping Dogs has a better world. The reimagining of Hong Kong shows off red lanterns and old temples right beside neon soaked skyscrapers and vendors selling pork buns on the street. Saints Row's world was very boring, in that people just sort of walked around. Both games have pedestrians saying really funny things, and both have terrible drivers that will run you over for no reason.

The characters in Sleeping Dogs aren't exactly the most original, but they really went the extra mile in fleshing them out through reports and missions. Saints Row just kind of gives you the stereotypes and doesn't give them dimension. The humor and their wacky situations help to make you like the characters, but they are pretty annoying because no matter how tough they act, you always have to do the heavy lifting. In Sleeping Dogs, you get the opposite impression. You feel like everyone else is doing all of the work, and you're stuck getting the scraps because they don't trust you and you're the new guy. But eventually you work your way up.

Also, Saints Row got really old once you completed all of the missions, but I feel like most people would have more fun with it since you're a real criminal in it, not an undercover cop, and so you don't feel guilty for causing destruction.

#14 Posted by 300DarkNites84 (13 posts) -
I've never had this much fun with a game!!!! Sleeping Dogs is a blast. I've always been a fan of GTA and Saint's Row but this one is way better than any of those. Like previously stated, as fun and crazy as the Saint's Row games are, after I finished the story, it got old fast, but in Sleeping Dogs, I have so much fun doing just about everything in the game, I finished the story last night and I still can't wait to play it some more!!! This game is freaking amazing!!!! So glad I got it, its the best game I've played since Rayman Origins in 2011 and I've played most of the big blockbuster games.