Some questions about this game

#1 Posted by a_jacks2044 (1104 posts) -

Never played a sims game, need some answers to some basic questions:

Does this game have online play? Is it like other online games where you have to pay monthly to play it? (like warcraft etc)

How long is the learning curve on this game? Seems like theres a lot of stuff to learn, do you have to spend hours learning basic controls and such

In game, can you put down trees or raise/lower land? Do you get to create your own terrain or do you just choose the areas they give you and it never changes?

Also, do you get to place the houses down one by one or do they pop up on their own? (i ask because i was watching someone play it and it looked like the houses came out of no where on their own)

sorry if thats a lot of questions, these are just some things i was thinking about before i buy the game

#2 Posted by Szeiden (355 posts) -

It's online. No monthly fee. Houses pop up on their own, but only in areas you designate. Learning the controls is fast. Learning more indepth management of your city is more complicated, but the learning curve isn't all that steep for the most part. You're bound to make some mistakes in your first city as some mechanics aren't explained all that well, but it doesn't take long to just start up a new one with your improved knowledge. Your first city will still be making you money, just not as efficiently as it could be (unless you REALLY screwed up somehow). Since you can gift resources and money it shouldn't be so bad starting your second city since you can use your first one to help you out.

#3 Posted by a_jacks2044 (1104 posts) -

thanks that explains a lot. I have one more question, is there a way to control time in this game? Like slowing it down, speeding it up, pausing. I've watched people play and they seem to constantly be busy (building stuff, fixing problems etc) and if i play i would like to take time to move around and observe everything/everyone and whats happening.

#4 Posted by GeneralMufinMan (368 posts) -

thanks that explains a lot. I have one more question, is there a way to control time in this game? Like slowing it down, speeding it up, pausing. I've watched people play and they seem to constantly be busy (building stuff, fixing problems etc) and if i play i would like to take time to move around and observe everything/everyone and whats happening.

a_jacks2044

Yes there are 3 speeds, (slow, medium, fast) and it will auto-pause if a pop-up comes up that needs your attention.

#5 Posted by GeneralMufinMan (368 posts) -

Never played a sims game, need some answers to some basic questions:

Does this game have online play? Is it like other online games where you have to pay monthly to play it? (like warcraft etc)
Yes too online play, no to monthly fee.

How long is the learning curve on this game? Seems like theres a lot of stuff to learn, do you have to spend hours learning basic controls and such
Can't really say from an a new player, but as a decades long SimCity fanatic it took me about an hour to get a grip on the basic stuff and 8 hours later I'm still figuring out some new things.

In game, can you put down trees or raise/lower land? Do you get to create your own terrain or do you just choose the areas they give you and it never changes?
You can plant forests (or plop parks) You can not create your own terrain, but individual properties will sometimes flatten the land slightly for their own needs. 

Also, do you get to place the houses down one by one or do they pop up on their own? (i ask because i was watching someone play it and it looked like the houses came out of no where on their own)
Like in real life, you zone an area for housing (residentail, green) and people will move in and build houses. So you control where the houses are, but not indivdual homes.

sorry if thats a lot of questions, these are just some things i was thinking about before i buy the game

a_jacks2044