Here is how I will teach them a lesson

#1 Posted by fanirama (924 posts) -

I will pre-order this game from Amazon or Best Buy or Gamestop and then a week before release, cancel it.

If enough people do this, they'll think they have such demand for the game and a week before if everyone commits to cancelling their pre-orders, it will be an amazing puke on their face.

To hell with their online-only single player game and their pitiful attempt at SimCity. It is a pathetic joke.

#2 Posted by trodox (3 posts) -

just becous you whant to download it for free on the net? ;)

but i partialy whant to have it offline aswell so I can have it with me in the laptop whithout internetC

I still think it can be good the neighbur thing..

#3 Posted by SpiiiiiiiiKe (112 posts) -

Don't get the game, SkidRow /Reloaded peeps will find a work around like they did with SC2 and won't need a constant internet connection. I don't think a DRM has stopped a torrenting group yet from cracking a game.

#4 Posted by fanirama (924 posts) -
No, I'm not a pirate. I don't want it for free. Just because I don't like the game and their policies doesn't mean I'm entitled to download it for free. The developers who work on this are people like us. They made a bad decision by making it online only. I won't buy it and that is their punishment. Pirating it makes me a thief and I'm no thief
#5 Posted by WCK619 (551 posts) -

when a thief takes something, the person who orginally had it no longer does. It's a transfer of content from one person to another without consent. Filesharing is copying where everyone involved is consenting and nobody loses their property. The anit-piracy group makes some good points sometimes, but this "thief" idea is just silly.

The whole idea of calling it an "entitlement" is another big fat lie, but I won't bother unraveling that ball of yarn here.

#6 Posted by InSoMnIaK604 (142 posts) -

You really think they'll stop the piracy?

Yeah right.

#7 Posted by Nafe (437 posts) -

you realizing actually buying the game and cracking it is not piracy.  If you want to crack the game to play it offline go right ahead.  You bought the game.  You just won't be able to play onine, who cares.  That ist he whole poiint lol.  Peope often use cracks with bought games to get away from DRM, Online only, or (i can't believe I am saying this, back in the day) playing the game without the CD.  

Now downloading it and cracking it without buying it, obviously piracy.

#8 Posted by fanirama (924 posts) -

when a thief takes something, the person who orginally had it no longer does. It's a transfer of content from one person to another without consent. Filesharing is copying where everyone involved is consenting and nobody loses their property. The anit-piracy group makes some good points sometimes, but this "thief" idea is just silly.

The whole idea of calling it an "entitlement" is another big fat lie, but I won't bother unraveling that ball of yarn here.

WCK619
So if someone makes a copy of your credit cards, social security card, passport etc. and uses your identity, then they are not a thief right because you, the original person, still have those things. Same for things like an idea - if you have an idea about something but someone else copies that from you, they are not a thief either, right? Willful filesharing is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about getting something that you haven't paid for. That, by definition, is a thief.
#9 Posted by DeliMeat567 (366 posts) -

[QUOTE="WCK619"]

fanirama

So if someone makes a copy of your credit cards, social security card, passport etc. and uses your identity, then they are not a thief right because you, the original person, still have those things. Same for things like an idea - if you have an idea about something but someone else copies that from you, they are not a thief either, right? Willful filesharing is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about getting something that you haven't paid for. That, by definition, is a thief.

The "thief" there is the person stealing your money by using your credit cards. Every store you buy from has enough information to use your credit card. Everytime you buy online, they basically copy all your credit card information. When you get TV service or cable internet, they always asked me for my SSN. They become a thief when they take money from you - one person loses, another gains. When you pirate, you duplicate. So if credit cards worked the same way, I could steal your card and when I use money, it wouldn't take it from you.

That all being said, pirating is duplicating, which DOES matter when we are talking about intellectual property. You can't copy the Mona Lisa and say you own it. 

#10 Posted by zfakta (241 posts) -

[QUOTE="WCK619"]

fanirama

Worst example of the new millenium goes to.......You simply took his educated assessment and threw your middle school interpretation at it.

#11 Posted by DrKill09 (6238 posts) -

If they don't want the game pirated, they would have not put in such intrusive DRM.

If you want it, buy it, and then crack it if it will make you feel less dirty.

#14 Posted by fanirama (924 posts) -

[QUOTE="fanirama"][QUOTE="WCK619"]

DeliMeat567

The "thief" there is the person stealing your money by using your credit cards. Every store you buy from has enough information to use your credit card. Everytime you buy online, they basically copy all your credit card information. When you get TV service or cable internet, they always asked me for my SSN. They become a thief when they take money from you - one person loses, another gains. When you pirate, you duplicate. So if credit cards worked the same way, I could steal your card and when I use money, it wouldn't take it from you.

That all being said, pirating is duplicating, which DOES matter when we are talking about intellectual property. You can't copy the Mona Lisa and say you own it. 

So I guess then you'd be ok if others have a copy of all personal data as long as they don't buy anything with it? Sorry, but I don't buy your argument. Making illegal identical copies of a game and obtaining it without paying for it is piracy and makes the person a thief.
#15 Posted by fanirama (924 posts) -

[QUOTE="fanirama"][QUOTE="WCK619"]

zfakta

Worst example of the new millenium goes to.......You simply took his educated assessment and threw your middle school interpretation at it.

What are you? 10years old?
#16 Posted by CoreyMisterMan (579 posts) -

If you want to be technical, it is illegal distribution of content (because you break copyright, trademark, and intellectual property rights...not to mention service agreements...when pirating games).  It doesn't matter if "Person A" is willingly sharing something they bought, because the company did not make an agreement with "Person A" to be a distributor of their content.  A company has a right to profit from the distribution of the content they produce.

A better middle school analogy is this: Johnny bought an issue of Penthouse magazine for himself from a newsstand.  Johnny made color copies of the Penthouse, then went in front of the newsstand and started handing them out for free to people that didn't feel like paying for their own Penthouse magazines.  Is it Johnny's "right" to make copies of his Penthouse magazine and give it out for free?  No.  Why not?  Because he's breaking copyright laws because Penthouse never agreed that he could be a publisher and manufacturer of their content.

#17 Posted by froth (1 posts) -

Why is GAMESPOT not showing the users score? what are they wainitng for??? Servers to go back online????? They will DIE waiting, I never thought they were biased but evidently they are... SHAME ON YOU GAMESPOT!!! SHAME ON YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))))) I will go to metacritic to look for a good game, at least they are not influenced that much by games companies!!! SCREW you Gamesponge!