Am I the only person not upset about this game?

#1 Posted by Avenger456 (578 posts) -

As much as i don't agree with the fact that you have to be constantly connected to the internet to play because it makes gaming on a laptop very hard if you don't have a wi-fi connection. I think that this game is actually pretty decent. I have watched some youtube videos on the beta and i don't see anything wrong with the game. The only thing is that it seems simpler than past games in the series.

#2 Posted by IceStorm11 (183 posts) -

most people just hate on EA and Origin, which for me has never been a problem. I am always connect on both my computers. As far as gameplay goes I am going into this game blind, hoping for something like sim city 4 with better graphics

#3 Posted by TheGuardianX (141 posts) -
Im not upset with the game and the Simcity team's decisions as well. HOWEVER, I am upset on the EA launch issues and how things are handled. It never ceases to amaze me that these large rich game companies (Blizzard, EA, etc) that has been in the business for years still can't get things right or at least halfway decent. Yes I am aware that nothing is Perfect and I completely understand that. But it seems like every time they launch a game, they are NOT prepared for when launch issues like this occur. Like their caught offguard thinking a game like Simcity or Diablo is not gonna be in high demand. I mean come on folks. Lets be real here. seriously. Sometimes I wonder if they fully understand that when issues like this current, it creates a negative impact towards current and future gamers. But on a positive note, I am happy some players are able to play with no issues. I have a few friends who didnt have issues as well. So there is some good out of it.
#4 Posted by Skyflier (23 posts) -

Want to know why I DETEST the online requirement to play this game?

"SimCity servers are DOWN. Attempting to reconnect..."

I just paid $80.00 for a game I CANNOT PLAY at launch.

This is moronic!

#5 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -

Want to know why I DETEST the online requirement to play this game?

"SimCity servers are DOWN. Attempting to reconnect..."

I just paid $80.00 for a game I CANNOT PLAY at launch.

This is moronic!

Skyflier
Paying $80 for a game is moronic. I have had zero issues with the servers and have been playing quite painlessly.
#6 Posted by Avenger456 (578 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheGuardianX"] Yes I am aware that nothing is Perfect and I completely understand that. But it seems like every time they launch a game, they are NOT prepared for when launch issues like this occur. Like their caught offguard thinking a game like Simcity or Diablo is not gonna be in high demand. I mean come on folks. Lets be real here. seriously. Sometimes I wonder if they fully understand that when issues like this current, it creates a negative impact towards current and future gamers. But on a positive note, I am happy some players are able to play with no issues. I have a few friends who didnt have issues as well. So there is some good out of it.

I agree you think that after doing 2 betas ( one specifically designed to test the servers) they would be able to launch with out problems.
#7 Posted by vahram90 (119 posts) -
I would have to pay $60 for the game to know exactly what's wrong with it. But judging from the reviews I've read it's not worth the risk. And it's not the online connectivity that's preventing me from buying the game, but the actual features present, or the lack of them. And these claims that the cities are ridiculously small.
#8 Posted by Avenger456 (578 posts) -

i havn't gotten a chance to see the full game yet as i have been at school all day but i would assume that the cities aren't as big (should those claims really be true) because it is meant to be a more focused real city that works with other cities in the region. I would have to actually play a couple different maps to know if that was true or not.

#10 Posted by Skyflier (23 posts) -
Why is it moronic to buy the Deluxe Version? I'm very happy that YOU have a perfect connection to EA! Now... for the REST of us....
#11 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -

Because a few in game buildings aren't worth $20. I did eventually lose my connection - but hey we need to stop having such inflated senses of entitlement. I have a 100% expectation that any popular online game upon release will have crap lag for a few days.

Guild Wars 2 was virtually unplayable for a week. Yet, I still love the game - and laugh at all the ragers that were so pissed about not being able to play for a day. Why not kick back, relax, and do something else until they get their servers together.

#12 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Guild Wars 2 was virtually unplayable for a week. Yet, I still love the game - and laugh at all the ragers that were so pissed about not being able to play for a day. Why not kick back, relax, and do something else until they get their servers together.

Baselerd

..like troll people who haven't been able to play the game? Rub it in their faces, then kick back and act confused why everyone thinks is pissed?

#13 Posted by TheGuardianX (141 posts) -
Baselerd, your missing the point. These rich @ss game companies nickel and dime gamers on extra content and DLCs when they cant even properly test these servers before launch. The Simcity series "from the same creator" is extremely popular. They should have known this game was going to be in High demand. There is no excuse.
#14 Posted by cshepss (1 posts) -

The problem lays in the fact it is launch day.... the north american servers are all full... the europe ones wont let you play.  they put you in a 20 min waiting line.... then 20 min runs out and sorry still full so wait 20 more.  how can you release a game that doesnt work.... you admit to your your fan base its not ready and wait a week or two.... i would respect them much more for this then not saying anything and not helping with anything.

#15 Posted by CoreyMisterMan (579 posts) -

I was upset when I tried playing and the tutorial wasn't working for like 30 minutes....then I figured out how to switch servers and it did.  Played perfectly for 5 hours after that.

The game is fun...though I need to get used to not seeing grids and filled zone colors.

#16 Posted by Szeiden (355 posts) -

The gameplay itself is awesome. Everything else surrounding the game is a disaster. There are the issues with losing progress, getting locked out of your city, not being able to access the servers at all, and so on. Then there is the whole intercity relationship within regions. In theory it's a nice idea, but they really botched it. Transactions don't sync up very well and are often buggy. I gifted 300,000 simoleons to one of my other cities. The 300,000 was subtracted from my one city but never was given to the other one. I played for 5 hours after I made the trade and it never arrived so I'm pretty sure it's just gone for good (I logged in and out 3 or 4 times too and also restarted my computer once during that time). Then I encountered a situation where one of my cities was short on power but I was out of space so I made a bunch of extra power in a secondary city so I could buy from it. However, despite the regional screen saying I was buying power from my secondary city, I never actually received any power or paid for it and I kept having power outages in many of my buildings. Clearly none of the power was actually being transferred despite the contract stating it was in place (it said something like "Buying 0kW at 0 simoleans an hour" even though I was clearly short on power and should have been receiving and paying for the excess power from my other city). And finally, there is a the issue of regional perks from other cities not properly unlocking. There are certain buildings you can only make if someone in your region has upgraded the corresponding city hall attachment (Department of Education allows you to build Universities for example). However, half the time the buildings wouldn't get unlocked for my other cities in the region even as long as 4 or 5 hours after they should have been.

So anyway, fun game but everything involving online is broken or buggy and needs to be fixed before I can recommend this game to anyone in good faith.

#17 Posted by hough06 (13 posts) -

Outside the connection issues, I'm actually very satisfied with the game. Several strategies and scenarios you can take, leads to a pretty dynamic game. Plus lay out means everything in this one... I really enjoy it.

I will say the connecting to the server has proven extremely difficult and disappointing. I did lose 2 cities on servers that I have no clue where they are at. Either way it gave me practice to understand the full features of the game. Literally just finished my 3rd city and ran into issues where I couldn't put out building fires quick enough... I need to figure out a strategy to minimize traffic this time around.

Anyway back to the point, I would say 90% of the bad reviews revolve around the connection issues. Go ahead and throw that out, by next week EA will get that solved or enough people will have rage quit by then. I'll take the assumption it will be both. 2nd the whole attached to the internet thing... yeah I can see the point but I can't really recall the last time I wasn't hooked up online while playing a game. 3rd, now a real complaint is the city sizes. I've had issues fitting everything I wanted into my little block, especially if there is a ocean, lake or hill blocking my design. 4th, All the people complaining about the Region play, I actually welcome it... It brings a different aspect to the game that previous Sim games didn't have. You can finally "bum" electricity off your neighbor or provide him with police and firefighters... for a small fee that is. It's an additional way to make money or cut cost.

I'll give the game 8.5/10, due to the City size limitations, but there is a lot of Pros, don't let the connection malarkey scare you away.

#18 Posted by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -

the gameplay itself is very good imo, its just horrible week 1 server issues.

Still, from the 6 hours I played at my friends, its a ton of fun and I will be buying a copy today or 2morrow.

Once the server issues get worked out I hope people give this game a try as the gaemplay is good fun, just sucks ea messed up the servers so bad! Shoulda had more at launch

#19 Posted by Malicx (70 posts) -

good for you , your in the minority btw 

#20 Posted by Avenger456 (578 posts) -

Yeah from what i have gotten to play the game is awesome and everything works very well together. I just would like to be able to play more frequently.,..hopefully the server issues will be fixed shortly. I don't honestly think i'm in the minority on this seems like lots of people like the game they just don't like the servers.

#21 Posted by lady_hazelblue (5 posts) -

I'm not upset because I never went out and bought the game.

After seeing the preview many months ago, about how it was supposed to have 'online cooperation', I knew it was a bad idea.

And coming from EA, it was automatically suspect.

I feel for some of you who didn't see this coming. I wonder if this isn't a way to kill of the SimCity franchise.

JMHO...

#22 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I like the game a lot. I guess I just don't throw hissy fits when the world doesn't give me everything that I want.

#23 Posted by Skyflier (23 posts) -

I guess I am the problem. My expectations, according to Baselerd and mrnitro, are much too high. I expected to purchase a product and use it on launch day - especially after personally going through two betas to "stress test" the NA servers.

Want to know what you deserve in life? Exactly what YOU pay for. Anything less and you're getting ripped-off.

In no uncertain terms, this launch was an utter failure. Blaming the consumer and making excuses for poor quality lowers the standards for future releases.

Unacceptable.

#24 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I guess I am the problem. My expectations, according to Baselerd and mrnitro, are much too high. I expected to purchase a product and use it on launch day - especially after personally going through two betas to "stress test" the NA servers.

Want to know what you deserve in life? Exactly what YOU pay for. Anything less and you're getting ripped-off.

In no uncertain terms, this launch was an utter failure. Blaming the consumer and making excuses for poor quality lowers the standards for future releases.

Unacceptable.

Skyflier
You did get what you paid for, silly. It was an online only game. You knew that. Was this scenario something totally unreachable in your head? Also, about DRM. It's funny how people want to complain about it, but rarely do I see someone complain about the rampant piracy and theft of products in this industry. That's NOT ACCEPTABLE. When someone sells a product it should not be expected to be stolen. See? someone can play that game too.
#25 Posted by Skyflier (23 posts) -

You did get what you paid for, silly. It was an online only game. You knew that. Was this scenario something totally unreachable in your head?mrintro

Please try and pay attention. I PAID for a game that I went through TWO betas for to TEST the online service prior to launch. The EA/Origin online service COLLAPSED. I DID NOT GET WHAT I PAID FOR...

Also, about DRM. It's funny how people want to complain about it, but rarely do I see someone complain about the rampant piracy and theft of products in this industry. That's NOT ACCEPTABLE. When someone sells a product it should not be expected to be stolen. See? someone can play that game too.mrintro

I did not pirate this game. I PURCHASED this game with the expectation of reasonable service at launch. By your logic, software producers should be allowed to abuse their customers - all because someone else stole their product.

By any measure, this was a completely botched launch. How anyone could defend EA/Origin on this defies logic. Perhaps "you can play that game too" but I can't log in to play a game I PURCHASED.

Once again - blame the consumer.

#26 Posted by Blank2k2 (611 posts) -

Online requirement - no problem to me at all.

The Game - great, best thing since sim city 4.

What's my problem? - EA/Origin.

EA are so pig ignorant, they expected to be able to handle launch day with just 2 UK servers .... Despite holding 2 maxed out beta tests, 600k facebook likes, and preorder figures, I have no problem with online requirement, but if they want to use such a system they should have more than enough servers setup to handle it so i'd never notice.

Origin is also complete rubbish, games are overpriced, the friends system is sloppy, and I swear the program gets just as confused as I do during use... Steam is far superior in every way & EA forcing people to use Origin is adding fragmentation to something that really shouldn't be.

Then theres EA's overall customer support etc, which as always is terrible - but they do point out a massive legal flaw in digital sale (the fact its not governed properly, or at all.) and like any rubbish gamer they'll exploit this until its fixed.http://static.gamer.no/images/13/1382/138205/61bbe87891f267ba9e6ccbca4dfe2fa2_easupport2_1306x606.f.png

But, Sim City 4 is a good game - once you get past the EA-speed humps, road blocks, and failures required before you can actually play it.

#27 Posted by LordRork (2690 posts) -

I've played it for a few hours now, and it does keep you playing just like the earlier editions did. But I sense I'm getting to the point where what I want to do and how the game wants me to play are about to go separate ways. The limited space is becoming a problem, the overlapping demands (e.g. specific buildings) are more of a chore than an interesting challenge, the pathfinding logic isn't always sound for a city (e.g. all sewerage trying to go down one road/pipe and creating issues) and other little niggles like having to load a city before you can donate to the city you've just been working on.

#28 Posted by trencher10B (34 posts) -

EA would probably in the future create a mobile phone game with an always-online DRM.

#29 Posted by skipper847 (3352 posts) -

Not played it yet as its still not arrived in the post but im looking forward to it even though all the bad scores. Im looking forward to it because its a different type of game then normal shooting zombies heads off and blood and guts game.

#30 Posted by Iffy350 (8345 posts) -

If I could host a local region on a server then I would be pleased. Then again I have a terabyte of empty harddrive space. I think my PC's harddrive could handle the saved game files for a region or two.

#31 Posted by skipper847 (3352 posts) -

Still can not play it and post been again. preorders are rubbish with amazon this is last twice when i have pre orded a game its come a week later instead of on the day or the next day. Not happy. Even though they are excellent most of the other times. :d

#32 Posted by Mr8ball (27 posts) -

i pretty much hate ea. i love the game though aside from the first day lol. already logged 100 hrs of gametime. it sucks tho because when EA ultimately fails and goes down i wont be able to play this freaking game anymore. for the others like me who are enjoying the game, make sure to play it lots and lots b4 EA craps out.

#33 Posted by dc5integra (15 posts) -
I am so glad i did not preorder this pos. An online-ONLY 'city-building-game'?? Enough said about this retarded game. Close the thread.
#34 Posted by bezza2011 (2559 posts) -

I'm not sure if it's the same over in the US than it is here in the uk, but the actually buying of the game is cheaper if you buy from a store than actually buying it from EA'S Origin site which i find very strange, here in the uk i can by the normal version for £34.99 and the deluxe for £39.99 but EA's Origin site it costs £44.99 and for the deluxe it's £64.99 how is this possible is beyond me but buying from a middle man is cheaper than going to the source.

I've bnot actually got this game yet but i'm planning on doing sometime in the next few days. i think my only real concern for this game is the whole plots of land for the cities seem very very very small, yes you can link cities up and make different one's suited to different needs but i feel as tho the amount of space isn't really good enough i've been watching some video's and there cities are near enough full and doesn't seem much room to really expand and you have to play by boxing everything in very tightly.