This game is great!

#1 Posted by CaptainScrubby (346 posts) -

I mean it's not perfect, it's kind of hard to care about anything having to do with the main boss, but there's tons of content besides that. The pirate themed world really seems to work, voodoo is kind of interesting and cool IMO, and this game has some awesome and funny characters.

#2 Posted by sururick (51 posts) -
I agree, Risen 2 is a great game and is much better than all of the reviews are letting on.
#3 Posted by Dezuria (614 posts) -

It is great. Reviews will probably slam it due to the poor combat, graphical bugs stiff animations and all that stuff, but if you can look past that stuff, it's a great game.

It has everything I love about past Piranha Bytes games, detailed world full of exploration, interesting lore and great characters and dialog. It probably won't top Gothic 2 NotR, but what ever will?

Too bad most players and critics will probably just focus on the problems and ignore the gem underneath all that. As long as it sells enough to keep PB making games, I'm happy.

#4 Posted by godfather830 (105 posts) -

I would've agreed with you only two hours ago. Now I'm really pissed off at the game as I'm completely stuck and not able to continue the game due to a bug.

Spoilers: I finished all my quests. but because I had killed Garcia and sided with the inquisition, I can't access the Isle of the Dead. It just doesn't show up as an option on my map.

I wasn't having a great time until that.

#5 Posted by BlazeKingz (502 posts) -

i thought the only way to get to the isle of the dead was by choosing voodoo. so it might not be a glitch but part of the story

#6 Posted by Fandango_Letho (5412 posts) -
I don't think Risen 2 is a particularly good game. They tried to create a superb-looking game, only with horrible animations and models. Actually, everything about this game is bipolar to me. Whenever there's something great, there's also something horrible about it. Good voice acting, horrible gestures in dialogs. Great ideas on paper, poorly rendered in the game ( monkey, parrot, voodoo ).
#7 Posted by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -

Parrot and Monkey are fantastic imo

#8 Posted by kaptein-aso (1 posts) -
It's a good game and the story isn't that hard to finish. It was a pleasure playing this game. (I killed Mara in 28 hours and 55 min.) I will give this game ****
#9 Posted by MaddenBowler10 (8832 posts) -
games like Risen, Divinity II, Two Worlds II turned me away from 2nd rate RPG's. Sounds like this is no different. No thanks.
#10 Posted by Mr-Owl33 (42 posts) -

games like Risen, Divinity II, Two Worlds II turned me away from 2nd rate RPG's. Sounds like this is no different. No thanks.MaddenBowler10

Yea, you won't like it then. Those games are good comparisons. I liked them all, so I'm enjoying this one.

#12 Posted by Harper420 (6 posts) -

I would've agreed with you only two hours ago. Now I'm really pissed off at the game as I'm completely stuck and not able to continue the game due to a bug.

Spoilers: I finished all my quests. but because I had killed Garcia and sided with the inquisition, I can't access the Isle of the Dead. It just doesn't show up as an option on my map.

I wasn't having a great time until that.

godfather830

Yeah, I was 30 hours in and had already summoned Steelbeard and the Skull Scepter would not summon him anymore, so after I finished all the quests I could not get past having all of the artifacts. I was pretty mad, but I started a second game, and I must say the game has more replay value than I thought it would.

Oh a separate note, I really enjoyed playing this game. Subpar graphics, an indescribable amount of glitches, and pretty jankty character movements aside... I did enjoy the game. I have waited years for a legit pirate RPG to come out, but I must say I am pretty disappointed with the developers on this one. I personally would lose myself if Bethesda ever decided to develop a pirate RPG!

#13 Posted by strategyfn (336 posts) -

Yes, I love this game so far. I'm 5 Hrs into it and I give it an 8.5/10. I really like the artstyle, and the game gets lots of other things right like the experience point system. I also like the difficulty on medium: I have actually died several times unlike in Skyrim. I also like how some of the characters have a photorealistic, yet artful look about them. I love it when games have something like that which you don't see all the time.

Anyway great game so far, I had to deduct a few points because of no controller support. But I mapped the movement to the arrow keys and that seems to work. The characters also move pretty smoothly for a keyboard controlled game. It is only $29.99 too, although I got it for $10: I would've been happy even if I payed 29.99.

The comedy is good, and the F-bombs are great too.

#14 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -

Would those of you who love Risen 2 so much and those of you who don't please explain more detail/reasons why?  I'm finishing up Risen so that is a good game to use for comparisons.

Are there any graphic improvements or is R2 just a new story (pirate/voodoo theme) in the same old wrapper?

Is lockpicking the same or have they changed all the mechanics around for better or worse?

Is the same NPC, Patty, in the game?  She gets a nautical chart depicting various islands her father/pirate buried treasure in/on.  If R2 is a continuation is it in this sense or are the characters unrelated/different?

One thing that bothered me no end sometimes was the mapping.  Is that improved any?  I read/heard that the game is more linear then R but what about dungeons and maps.  Are levels one on top of another so you can't tell which way to go at times?  Any mapping tools like a means of noting whether you finished an area or room or need to return?

Playing R2 doesn't make much sense yet because I'm not keen on the pirate/voodoo theme.  But I've loved a lot of the exploring/dungeons adventure/story found in R and if there is as much of that in R2.

I've had a couple crashes to Desktop and points jumping around where I've gotten the PC stuck.  Is that better or worse with R2?

Thanks for the help/thoughts.