Are skill path limits different than in the first game?

#1 Posted by Chriworth123 (5 posts) -

As you might be able to tell I'm debating whether to buy this game.  Gothic 2 is maybe the best videogame I ever played, and I've had a soft spot for the PB guys ever since. But . . . Risen 1 was just so-so.  Gothic 3 -- after several years of fanboy patching and the acquisition of a beefy new computer with a really good graphics card -- turned out to be very good, as well, on a replay I did last year, even if it was still a little too unwieldy and unfocused.

Anyway, what I'm really asking is whether Risen 2 limits you in your ability to specialize in both melee or magic like Risen 1 did. Frankly, I didn't like the way you essentially had to choose one path or the other to become really good at midway through the story.  Ideally I want to be able to switch between swordplay and magic at whim, to be honest.

So what's the verdict?

#2 Posted by CylonRaider01 (186 posts) -

No magic.You dont have magic spells like Thunderbolt or fireballs you have only vodoo.With vodoo you can control,create panic,have a sceptre wich doesnt have more than 20 base dmg stat and has some abilities like fear madness etc.With sword you have the ability to die without hit your oponent due to mad combo spree from your target,ex a crab.Long Range may worth a bit but you get tanked fast and you got stuck to sword again wich is stupid.It isnt great at all it is very limited rather than 1 and honestly having a bug wich cancels you ability to finish the game and a very lame combat system doesnt worth the money so in my opinnion avoid it.