We've come a long way since the 80s and 90s dude!

User Rating: 7.5 | Retro City Rampage PC
I've followed this game since 2006, and always had my hopes high for a throwback game such as this. ( Gamespot doesn't allow for space between my text for some reason)..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Having just finished the main story missions, along with the few sidequests and most of the rampages I leave the game with some mixed feelings.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Let me start out by saying that this is one of the most fun and frustrating downloadable games i've experienced in a long time. Some missions are bound to kick you in your teeth and eat your candy, while others are fun and amusing. .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. At it's best Retro City Rampage is a well made homage to old school classic games. At it's worst Retro City Rampage strangely emulates the worst of the old school games................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Why would you choose to emulate the god awful dam level in Turtles for Nes? Why would you give the player health but still insta kill it on so many occasions? Why would you while sarcasticaly emulate some of the hands down worst GTA mission? Many of those moments controlled horribly and were frustrating back in the days and are emulated here with all it's hair tearing and frustrating gameplay choices. Especially the games only real boss....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... The humor as well is pretty hit and miss. I would find myself laugh hysterically at some of the references, the Metal Gear Solid mission briefing and not get some of the references that simply felt out of place........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ The graphics and sounds are the highpoints in RCR while the controls and missions are the lowpoint. There are far fewer "simulated" games than you'd expect while they emulate the ones they do pretty much perfectly, for better or worse.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. RCR is around 5 hours long including the optional sidequests numbering around 6-7 mission, not counting the many GTA styled rampage missions. All I can say that I hope to see more of Retro City Rampage in the future, and although I might be slightly let down, I consider myself a fan.