to all you fans who hate RE6...

#1 Posted by sweetSWA99ER (58 posts) -

I'm not going to get into the sibling rivalry that Capcom has created between the survival horror and action fans of Resident Evil. I've already described my personal feelings within the debate over what Capcom has done, and the arguments against the value of the survival horror genre as a whole within my Gamespot blog (a post that was to originally become this very thread, but... yeah it got pretty lengthy). Instead, I'm going to do what a lot of fans are telling the "crybaby fanboys" to do; judge the game on its own merits. With that in mind, I think its pretty safe to say Resident Evil 6... is still a mess of a game. It's fun, its crazy fun, even reaching addiction levels if you really get into it. But, there are 3 huge problems that keep staring me in the face, and preventing me from enjoying RE6 like I should be, even as a standalone action experience. Here are my 3 reasons why:

1. its linear/scripted to all hell

Has anyone else noticed this? I know its common for actions games to be linear, no problem there, but oh God this game. There might has well have been a Capcom representative sitting next to me and taking my controller away every 5 seconds. It was Annoying trying to play the campaigns (especially Leon's) with how painfully linear they were. Cutscenes, quick-time events, and button-disabling ahoy! It came to a point where the game would automatically react to multiple jump scares FOR YOU. Yeah, let that sink in if you haven't played RE6. Hey, you know what would've made the famous dog-through-the-window scene in RE1 scarier? If it were a cutscene, and/or Jill aimed her gun on her own without player input. Genius.

2. no custom weapon load-out

Was Capcom drunk when they made this decision? Sure it was silly how a rifle took up the same space as an egg in RE5, but at least it was a clever way of simplifying the inventory system from RE$ while adding a feature that allowed players to quickly equip items using the d-pad. Not only is Chris's inventory in RE6 awkward to use, but now the player can't customize their own loadout, you simply collect every gun in the game and scroll through a massive inventory to access the gun you want. Not only that, but only certain characters are allowed certain weapons. Capcom, I see what you were trying to do there, but you should've opted for certain strengths instead (so that everyone can use the hydra; it's just Helena who does the crazy acrobatics with it). To be fair, the issue is avoidable if you start a new game and ingore the weapons you don't want.

3. your mercinaries score CAPS OUT

Yeah, that doesn't contradict the point of high scores or anything.

I feel like I missed something, did I miss something?

#2 Posted by resident_jisen (343 posts) -
to your first point all games are linear even the old re games and the same goes for scripted to. there is only one way to play any game and in the case of the old re games as well.i`ve played re 1 to death and no matter how i play it i take the same path to always beat the game. as for you second point the weapons in your list can be have the postions changed i tend to put the weapons i used most near each other so it`s easiyer to switch between them. as for your third point i can`t answer since i don`t play that mode enough to say it true or not.
#3 Posted by sweetSWA99ER (58 posts) -

to your first point all games are linear even the old re games and the same goes for scripted to. there is only one way to play any game and in the case of the old re games as well.i`ve played re 1 to death and no matter how i play it i take the same path to always beat the game.resident_jisen

Ok. You do release that RE1 at least allowed you to figure out your own path through the game, right? It was a linear game in terms of story progression, but it allowed you to explore the environment on your own; deciding what enemies you want to kill, and which addititional environment you'd get to first (depending on which key items you found). Even though you took the same path that you did before, that's you CHOOSING to do so. And no, you must've not have played many games. Xcom, Dark Souls, Dishonored, Metal Gear Solid, and even Halo lead the player down a linear story, but they let them at least choose how they want to play the game (some way more than others). RE6, as a game, is so scripted, cutscene-heavy, and quick-time event riddled, that it's insulting.

#4 Posted by resident_jisen (343 posts) -

[QUOTE="resident_jisen"]to your first point all games are linear even the old re games and the same goes for scripted to. there is only one way to play any game and in the case of the old re games as well.i`ve played re 1 to death and no matter how i play it i take the same path to always beat the game.sweetSWA99ER

Ok. You do release that RE1 at least allowed you to figure out your own path through the game, right? It was a linear game in terms of story progression, but it allowed you to explore the environment on your own; deciding what enemies you want to kill, and which addititional environment you'd get to first (depending on which key items you found). Even though you took the same path that you did before, that's you CHOOSING to do so. And no, you must've not have played many games. Xcom, Dark Souls, Dishonored, Metal Gear Solid, and even Halo lead the player down a linear story, but they let them at least choose how they want to play the game (some way more than others). RE6, as a game, is so scripted, cutscene-heavy, and quick-time event riddled, that it's insulting.

as for re1 again all the keys in the game are in the same locations as are the weapons,ammo and files. they never change so the game is very linear and scripted like all the re game.So you never had a choice if only appears like you do since your walking around the mansion exploring.but the path you follow to complete the game is the sane over and over.hey i beat re1 about 9 times.and i`m smart enough to see this. after the second play through of re 1. As for the cut scenes and quick time in re 6 it`s insulting but a great fresh change to the way games are play today. i hope when they make re7 they make it very similar in many ways.

#5 Posted by sweetSWA99ER (58 posts) -

as for re1 again all the keys in the game are in the same lo#ations as are the weapons,ammo and files# they never change so the game is very linear and scripted like all the re game#So you never had a choice if only appears like you do since your walking around the mansion exploring#but the path you follow to complete the game is the sane over and over#hey i beat re1 about 9 times#and i`m smart enough to see this# after the second play through of re 1# As for the cut scenes and quick time in re 6 it`s insulting but a great fresh change to the way games are play today# i hope when they make re7 they make it very similar in many ways#

resident_jisen

Ok. I wouldn't say all that. Obviously all the items and weapons are found in the same locations, however, the simple fact that the player is allowed to explore and make their own decisions as to what items they find first and environments they explore first make up for this. The DESTINATION is the same, but the PATH taking you there is unique to each player. Scripted moments did occur, even ones that prompted in-game cutscenes, but these moments were brief, few and far between, making them enjoyable and intense. A smart developer knows that scare-tactics are far more effective when their used against the player in gameplay... because, you know... the PLAYER has to react to it, not the CHARACTER while the player watches. And at least the original games had "arrange mode" which changed the item and enemy locations to encourage replayability. RE6 wants to be a movie. It wants to make sure I experience every little detail of the game EXACTLY the way Capcom thought it out, to a point where the game automatically has the character aim their guns at every sound in the distance (seriously, how is that ok?); all that does is break immersion. There's nothing "great" or "refreshing" about the game condescending to you like you're a complete idiot. Yahtzee Croshaw said it best, go check out his review, it's a barrel of truth and laughs:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6416-Resident-Evil-6

#6 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1763 posts) -
I prefer an RE game like RE1, 2, and 3 where it was much slower paced, and didn't just hurl thousands of enemies in your face every second, and have non-stop QTE's, endless cut-scenes, and ultra linear gameplay. Capcom should have just made a completely seprate game that does the action, and leave RE the hell alone.
#7 Posted by sweetSWA99ER (58 posts) -

I prefer an RE game like RE1, 2, and 3 where it was much slower paced, and didn't just hurl thousands of enemies in your face every second, and have non-stop QTE's, endless cut-scenes, and ultra linear gameplay. Capcom should have just made a completely seprate game that does the action, and leave RE the hell alone.AlexKidd5000

That would've been the better option wouldn't it? However, I believe that Capcom should've made Operation Raccoon City themselves; the graphics would be far better and the gameplay would be just as fun and engaging as 6, only without the extreme reliance on quick-time events and scripted moments (because apparently that's what makes an action game scary). If Capcom wanted an online-focused action game, they should've just made an online-focused action game. No, instead they try to make RE for absolutely EVERYONE, and then have the gall to complain about how hard it is to please EVERYONE. You didn't see Mario Kart replace Mario Bros. did you? It's called "spin-off", Capcom. God, their every decision as of late is enough to make you face palm so hard you knock yourself out.

#8 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

No, instead they try to make RE for absolutely EVERYONE, and then have the gall to complain about how hard it is to please EVERYONE.

sweetSWA99ER

Damn right... No other developer thinks as illogically as this, which is literally why spin offs exist in the first place *sigh*

#10 Posted by alpha-blade (33 posts) -

everyone have his own opinion on RE6, and most of it is RE isn't any more the horror game we used to play before, but no matter how we argue about it and cursing Capcom, it seems they're not listening, so Ill tell u that, the most thing that i really hate in RE6 is the QTE, it's ridiculous and stupid, cause me allot of unnecessary deaths for no reason, despite all that, the story isn't that bad this far cause i didn't play  Leons campaign and honestly I'm not really exciting to play Leons campaign.

#11 Posted by resident_jisen (343 posts) -

[QUOTE="resident_jisen"]

as for re1 again all the keys in the game are in the same lo#ations as are the weapons,ammo and files# they never change so the game is very linear and scripted like all the re game#So you never had a choice if only appears like you do since your walking around the mansion exploring#but the path you follow to complete the game is the sane over and over#hey i beat re1 about 9 times#and i`m smart enough to see this# after the second play through of re 1# As for the cut scenes and quick time in re 6 it`s insulting but a great fresh change to the way games are play today# i hope when they make re7 they make it very similar in many ways#

sweetSWA99ER

Ok. I wouldn't say all that. Obviously all the items and weapons are found in the same locations, however, the simple fact that the player is allowed to explore and make their own decisions as to what items they find first and environments they explore first make up for this. The DESTINATION is the same, but the PATH taking you there is unique to each player. Scripted moments did occur, even ones that prompted in-game cutscenes, but these moments were brief, few and far between, making them enjoyable and intense. A smart developer knows that scare-tactics are far more effective when their used against the player in gameplay... because, you know... the PLAYER has to react to it, not the CHARACTER while the player watches. And at least the original games had "arrange mode" which changed the item and enemy locations to encourage replayability. RE6 wants to be a movie. It wants to make sure I experience every little detail of the game EXACTLY the way Capcom thought it out, to a point where the game automatically has the character aim their guns at every sound in the distance (seriously, how is that ok?); all that does is break immersion. There's nothing "great" or "refreshing" about the game condescending to you like you're a complete idiot. Yahtzee Croshaw said it best, go check out his review, it's a barrel of truth and laughs:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6416-Resident-Evil-6

well someone likes to call people an idiot he doesn`t even know very imature.So i will leave you with this. you are nothing more then a low level intellectual who would not see a great game even it was put in front of you.from the way you are talking you don`t even make any sense at all. you don`t even see the the real truth. the first game didn`t allow you to choose a path at all.but since you can`t see this you are very dumb.i will no longer waste my time taking to someone of such a low iq. good day to you sir.
#12 Posted by rocketdog (4 posts) -

what the?! i get all the points the OP has stated. it doesnt matter if a game spans a whole city or one single haunted mansion, it comes down to execution and what the game lets the player discover on his/her own pace and time frame that can make or break gameplay. you, as a developer, should try and stay out of the players way as much as possible if you believe you have created an immersive and interesting environment and it sounds as if capcom does not do that. as for QTE's, i remember when they popped up in RE4 and i didn't like them then, they arent fun or original but for some reason capcom loves them.

resident evil has so much potential, so many great characters to work with and so much history, not to mention my favorite thing to shoot and run from (zombies of course) and i think thats what bothers me most because it should be easy for them to make an eerie and immersive environment that makes you want to keep the lights on and make you never want to stop exploring each and every last dark hallway, yet they hash out these action packed movie themed "games" that keep us always wondering "what if".. they really need to stop looking at what is most popular or what type of games they see flying off the shelves and reclaim their own identity again because there is risk in being a unique gamestyle, but the rewards would be great if they just made more intellegent decisions.

#13 Posted by queuing_for_PS4 (1 posts) -
Good news! Capcom are going to reboot the Resident Evil franchise. Check out link for full info! :) http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/31/resident-evil-will-return-to-its-roots
#14 Posted by Change_MyShorts (76 posts) -
[QUOTE="queuing_for_PS4"]Good news! Capcom are going to reboot the Resident Evil franchise. Check out link for full info! :) http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/31/resident-evil-will-return-to-its-roots

Geeeee I wish they would have realized this 2 resident evils ago.
#15 Posted by squidbilly22 (115 posts) -
Garbage again...thanks for nothing Crapcom......wheres the horror ?
#16 Posted by GamerNerdTalk (303 posts) -

Wow, people really really hate this game.

I can see why, I personally love the linear side of the game and the scripted set pieces. Resident Evil 6 is my favorite Resident Evil game.

#17 Posted by RussianSinyaka (267 posts) -

I'm not going to get into the sibling rivalry that Capcom has created between the survival horror and action fans of Resident Evil. I've already described my personal feelings within the debate over what Capcom has done, and the arguments against the value of the survival horror genre as a whole within my Gamespot blog (a post that was to originally become this very thread, but... yeah it got pretty lengthy). Instead, I'm going to do what a lot of fans are telling the "crybaby fanboys" to do; judge the game on its own merits. With that in mind, I think its pretty safe to say Resident Evil 6... is still a mess of a game. It's fun, its crazy fun, even reaching addiction levels if you really get into it. But, there are 3 huge problems that keep staring me in the face, and preventing me from enjoying RE6 like I should be, even as a standalone action experience. Here are my 3 reasons why:

1. its linear/scripted to all hell

Has anyone else noticed this? I know its common for actions games to be linear, no problem there, but oh God this game. There might has well have been a Capcom representative sitting next to me and taking my controller away every 5 seconds. It was Annoying trying to play the campaigns (especially Leon's) with how painfully linear they were. Cutscenes, quick-time events, and button-disabling ahoy! It came to a point where the game would automatically react to multiple jump scares FOR YOU. Yeah, let that sink in if you haven't played RE6. Hey, you know what would've made the famous dog-through-the-window scene in RE1 scarier? If it were a cutscene, and/or Jill aimed her gun on her own without player input. Genius.

2. no custom weapon load-out

Was Capcom drunk when they made this decision? Sure it was silly how a rifle took up the same space as an egg in RE5, but at least it was a clever way of simplifying the inventory system from RE$ while adding a feature that allowed players to quickly equip items using the d-pad. Not only is Chris's inventory in RE6 awkward to use, but now the player can't customize their own loadout, you simply collect every gun in the game and scroll through a massive inventory to access the gun you want. Not only that, but only certain characters are allowed certain weapons. Capcom, I see what you were trying to do there, but you should've opted for certain strengths instead (so that everyone can use the hydra; it's just Helena who does the crazy acrobatics with it). To be fair, the issue is avoidable if you start a new game and ingore the weapons you don't want.

3. your mercinaries score CAPS OUT

Yeah, that doesn't contradict the point of high scores or anything.

I feel like I missed something, did I miss something?

sweetSWA99ER
I think those are dumb reasons for disliking a video game, and that the person who gave this game such a low score should be shot.
#18 Posted by waseemred (47 posts) -

:DAmazing Game , Brilliant Gameplay. i score it 8.5.

but problem is.,

I Completed Leon game, but still don't know, how to use green herbal to regain health?

#19 Posted by yudeptrai1991 (1 posts) -

well, you said that you wanted to judge this game on its own merit right, I presumed that it's action horror right, let me ask you 1 thing, is COD an action game ? last time I played COD, I don't see any non-linear at all. Go, shoot, smash buttons, isn't it like that ? get it ?

You want horror ? ok let me ask you, how old are you when you played RE 1 2 3 ? Now please try to put yourself into a boy, a girl or a teenager at that age and presume that you never played any thing related to resident evil, now buy this game and play it, will you like this game, will you be terrified when you heard the zombie growl in the dark corner in Leon campaign, will you be scare when it's your first time looking at a deranged human figures in chris's campaign ....

Yep whatever your answer is, I hope that you know what I mean, RE franchise changed a long time a go, you can't accept that, I get it, but if you really want those good old days, I recommend dead space, stop following this franchise and move on. the last thing I want to tell you, this is a COMMERCIAL PRODUCT and CAPCOM is a FINANCIAL COMPANY. Do you think that hardcore RE 1 2 3 players can match the sheer number of new people who just played the game since RE 4 5 6. Those're completely 2 different RE generations. And now put yourself in to CAPCOM seats, what will you choose, hardcore survival horror with grown-ups who can't spend too much time on video games or youngsters who can play game all day long, willingly spend their parent's money without thoughts ? Hey if CAPCOM can satisfy both generations, they must be a real genius !!!

Bottom lines, please stop spamming rage threads about good old days and point out something new, something CAPCOM can do to make this game at least more comfortable

BTW, I completely agree with you about the terrible inventory managements, it's strange you don't mention any other super crazy bug about gameplay issues like save game, stupid QTE intensity. Hardware bug like not enough memory crash on >2GB VGA card. God there's a whole lot of them, but in general in my opinions as one of those few who enjoyed both the old and the new generations Resident evil, it's still a pretty decent ACTION HORROR game

#22 Posted by HokutoSeikun (7 posts) -

to your first point all games are linear even the old re games and the same goes for scripted to. there is only one way to play any game and in the case of the old re games as well.i`ve played re 1 to death and no matter how i play it i take the same path to always beat the game. as for you second point the weapons in your list can be have the postions changed i tend to put the weapons i used most near each other so it`s easiyer to switch between them. as for your third point i can`t answer since i don`t play that mode enough to say it true or not.resident_jisen

The classics always had multidirectional maps and that is something you dont see since the last horror/canon RE,scripts always existed but they are everywhere in the new installment and thats annoying,the inventory is a joke and i dont want to bother myself explaining why,long life RE fans knows the colossal diference compared with the classics,RE6 is a bad joke told by Crapcom i wonder if they forgot that promised they did RE6 is not the answer we seek..

#25 Posted by HokutoSeikun (7 posts) -

[QUOTE="sweetSWA99ER"]

[QUOTE="resident_jisen"]to your first point all games are linear even the old re games and the same goes for scripted to. there is only one way to play any game and in the case of the old re games as well.i`ve played re 1 to death and no matter how i play it i take the same path to always beat the game.resident_jisen

as for re1 again all the keys in the game are in the same locations as are the weapons,ammo and files. they never change so the game is very linear and scripted like all the re game.So you never had a choice if only appears like you do since your walking around the mansion exploring.but the path you follow to complete the game is the sane over and over.hey i beat re1 about 9 times.and i`m smart enough to see this. after the second play through of re 1. As for the cut scenes and quick time in re 6 it`s insulting but a great fresh change to the way games are play today. i hope when they make re7 they make it very similar in many ways.

What you know?that is a fair way to criticize the gameplay of this game you sound like a kid who dont know what youre talking about,in fact that is your case you cant possibly understand why so many people hated this game nor the reasons why they loved the origins of this franchise,many gamers loved this franchise and they miss the fantastic and unique standard formula we only want to see it again but Crapcom test our patience with pseudo RE games and their generic gameplay.

#26 Posted by HokutoSeikun (7 posts) -
[QUOTE="sweetSWA99ER"]

[QUOTE="resident_jisen"]

resident_jisen

well someone likes to call people an idiot he doesn`t even know very imature.So i will leave you with this. you are nothing more then a low level intellectual who would not see a great game even it was put in front of you.from the way you are talking you don`t even make any sense at all. you don`t even see the the real truth. the first game didn`t allow you to choose a path at all.but since you can`t see this you are very dumb.i will no longer waste my time taking to someone of such a low iq. good day to you sir.

You are praising a new installment that is nothing compared with the origins,story,horror,musics it dont have absolutely nothing that made it great,can you be more stupid?im very sad as a fan to see one of the franchises that marked my youth turn in this mess and im sure every fan who loved RE for what it was thinks the same way,we dont want a ridiculous story,we dont want to see renowned characters being ridicularized,we dont want a game full of action,we dont want shooter elements,we dont want QTE,a messy camera and other nuisances that you can find in RE6,in other words there are plenty of reasons for us to hate RE6 we can write a book with them if we want.
#27 Posted by Subcelsious (344 posts) -

The Silent Hill games are kinda what your getting at. Their not gods gift to games but they do have an eerie feel and slower pace

#28 Edited by yixingtpot (1398 posts) -

how about the obvious,

1. dumbed down game to fit on DVD for XBROKE 2, paper bag graphics, dull muted bland world, horrible animations and controls.

2. the game only takes up about half of a Blu-ray disc 7? years into PS3 life cycle, it could have and should have been a massively different game up to 3 times or more the experience if made for PS3 as the target platform.

3. no 3D, which would have been awesome on the PS3 version with spewing acid and mutant arms flailing out of the screen, once again proving it was made for XBROKE 2.

4. no MOVE controls, once again proving it was dumbed down as a XBROKE 2 game, not made for the superior PS3 capabilities.

the game was worth $5.00 as a PS3 demo.

#29 Posted by hehe101 (750 posts) -

how about the obvious,

1. dumbed down game to fit on DVD for XBROKE 2, paper bag graphics, dull muted bland world, horrible animations and controls.

2. the game only takes up about half of a Blu-ray disc 7? years into PS3 life cycle, it could have and should have been a massively different game up to 3 times or more the experience if made for PS3 as the target platform.

3. no 3D, which would have been awesome on the PS3 version with spewing acid and mutant arms flailing out of the screen, once again proving it was made for XBROKE 2.

4. no MOVE controls, once again proving it was dumbed down as a XBROKE 2 game, not made for the superior PS3 capabilities.

the game was worth $5.00 as a PS3 demo.

Makes no sense considering RE5 was better looking. you sound maaaaddd