Your thoughts about Remember Me...

#1 Posted by Jadey4ever (43 posts) -

I'm thinking about getting this game and was hoping a few people who played it could give me their opinions on the game. What is the difficulty level of it? I love video games, but my skill level isn't the greatest. I could tell it looked 3rd person, but couldn't tell much of the combat. Is the game more "button mash/hack and slash" or shooter or stealth? Is there a game that has combat similar to Remember Me? Thank you to anyone who is able to give their input :)

#2 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2074 posts) -

I'm thinking about getting this game and was hoping a few people who played it could give me their opinions on the game. What is the difficulty level of it? I love video games, but my skill level isn't the greatest. I could tell it looked 3rd person, but couldn't tell much of the combat. Is the game more "button mash/hack and slash" or shooter or stealth? Is there a game that has combat similar to Remember Me? Thank you to anyone who is able to give their input :)Jadey4ever

It plays more like a fighter/platformer than a stealth spy game. I'm over halfway through and so far there's only been a few memory remix encounters. I'd go so far as to say the primary focus seems to be a build your own combo system whereby the "Pressens" you unlock are damage, regen, cooldown and chain properties that you can plug into various slots of combo trees that range from 3 to several strikes long.

This means much of your success depends on how you structure your combo trees in the "Combo Lab", and how well you time your strikes and move around to avoid damage. The combat system involves punches, kicks and dodges, the latter being a cartwheel in any given direction, which ends up being a slow mo animation if you time it while an enemy is trying to charge you. There are also some QTE finishing moves in boss fights.

The combat also involves a multiplier system, which also makes your movement from enemy to enemy quicker and farther reaching as it builds, much like Batman. The combos and mulitpliers are not as easy to build as in Batman however due to them being heavily based on timing each strike, vs just consecutive uninterrupted hits. Much like Batman however, there's a warning icon above enemies when they're about to attack, but you can't counter, just dodge.

There's also non melee weapons in the form of two data stream blasters from your forearm attachment, one lesser powered to open doors, switch on lights, move objects and do light attacks against mechs and wall crawling Leapers, the other a heavy blast with a long cooldown that can destroy structures and locks for navigation, or break shields of enemies carrying them.

There's also a weapon wheel that will pause the action whereby various devices like damage/multiplier boosters, sticky mines, stun bombs that allow you to locate invisible or cloned enemies, mech hacks, etc, can be accesed, but only if you've got in enough strikes to use them. These are "Fury" devices, and each have a counter on them that ticks down for each strike you land. When it gets to zero the icon for that Fury device appears and is then usable.

It's all pretty well conceived, but the Combo Lab can be fairly complex to use. There's an accumulating effect, meaning the farther down the tree you place a damage, regen, etc, Pressen, the more powerful it will be. The Cooldown Pressens speed up Fury cooldown, the Chain Pressens mimick and amplify whatever precedes them in the combo tree you place them in.

Where the complexity comes in is being able to deterrmine a Pressen placement that will not only do what you need it to do for a given enemy, but also make successfully completeing  the combo easy to do each time you use it. This is largely because the Combo Lab is only so custom, meaning you can only place punch and kick Pressens in predetermined slots.

For instance there's a point in the game where you encounter enemies that damage you each time you strike them due to an electrical field around them. This means you need to have a combo tree with lots of regen in it to keep your health up. A common scenario is a combo tree with Regen, Regen, Regen, Chain, Chain, which buffs health then amplifies that buff.

Problem is you can't just pick any punch or kick combo chain to do that due to those predetermined slots I mentioned, which will only accept one or the other. Worse yet even the Chain Pressens will only amplify either punch or kick Pressens depending which slot they're put in. I'd prefer to have 3 punch Regen Pressens followed by two Punch Chain Pressens, as punches are quicker and easier to combo, but I'm stuck with two Kick Regen Pressens, followed by a Punch Regen Pressen, ending with Two Kick Chain Presens.

If this all sounds overly complicated, that's because in fact it is. For a game that just has kick or punch button mashing with some simple dodging thrown in, they not only overcomplicated the custom combo building feature, they've heavily restricted it, and the restrictions just make it harder to time and complete a combo. If not for the confusion and restrictions in the combo builder, and the game's tendency to stutter frequently whilst navigating from one area to another, I'd give it an 8/10 on originality alone, but as is I wouldn't rate it higher than 7/10. Graphically it looks quite good, but even with a high end PC and high frame rates, it plays pretty choppy.

#3 Posted by Jadey4ever (43 posts) -

Wow, thank you for your detailed description of the game! It sounds like one I should try used, as my skills are limited. I try to base games that I want to try on how similar they are in game play and difficulty as my favorite game, Kingdom Hearts. You described the combo lab as complex. Is there another game that you could compare that to? My husband plays a lot of games, so I'm familiar with quite a few franchises and enjoy the stories, I just have trouble with the game play. Thank you again for your input :)

#4 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2074 posts) -

Wow, thank you for your detailed description of the game! It sounds like one I should try used, as my skills are limited. I try to base games that I want to try on how similar they are in game play and difficulty as my favorite game, Kingdom Hearts. You described the combo lab as complex. Is there another game that you could compare that to? My husband plays a lot of games, so I'm familiar with quite a few franchises and enjoy the stories, I just have trouble with the game play. Thank you again for your input :)

Jadey4ever
You're welcome, and I should point out that since playing it some more and understanding the combo system better, I'm adapting to it well enough. Although this play through I'm only on the lowest difficulty mode. There are basically 4 combos to use in the game, which once fully unlocked are all 8 strikes long. However if you have any trouble remembering each sequence of 8 punch or kick strikes, you can just remember the first few strikes of each combo and set them up to do different things, like regenerate health, speed up fury cooldown, or dish out lots of damage. It works well enough, esp on lower difficulty modes. There are lots of other things you need to master though, like aiming the heavy data stream at the shields of enemies that carry them, and dodging fire from bots in between shooting them with the light attack data stream and hacking them to work for you. No matter what system of fighting you employ, you're certainly not going to be just wandering about spamming the action button like in Kingdom Hearts 2. I'm not really familiar with games that look and play like KH2, because I don't generally play those types of games, but there are melee combat games that have more modern real life graphics that are simpler in their combat, if that's what you want. Assassin's Creed II is a good example of a melee game that is pretty easy to master. It's mostly just strikes and counters with no combo sequences. It's also the best game in the AC series. If you prefer something more RPG/fantasy based, Skyrim is a pretty good game that has fairly simple melee strike and block combat, though it involves some lengthy skill building unless you want to play it on lower difficulty modes. I don't play many melee games, but those are two of my favorites. There's also Sleeping Dogs, which is an Asian fighter/shooter game that is styled a bit like Grand Theft Auto. It does have some combos, but they're pretty easy to use and you can easily get through the game without even using them. It has a lot of driving in it though, so if you're not used to that it may not be to your liking. The driving is pretty easy though.
#5 Posted by AndoreiGaming (25 posts) -
If you want to watch some gameplay on it or would like help on your game experience, my channel on Youtube has Remember Me walkthroughs, including most SAT patches and Focus boosts. Also I'm trying to go so if you need the service or want to see what the game is really like come on over to my channel! (AndoreiGaming)
#6 Posted by khatibi22 (7319 posts) -

Wow! Pure awesomeness! I am overwhelmed. "Remember Me" turned out even better than what I had expected. I have finished the first episode and I loved the game so far. It reminds me of Batman games especially the fights but there is more to do. The only thing which is bothering me is the yellow hint guides which is really disturbing and reduces the challange and adventure in the game.