Dat Ass

#1 Posted by ValValence (45 posts) -
So they developers finally got a publisher to ALLOW them to publish a game with a female main character. And Capcom decided that the right thing to do was make a game cover with her ass highlighted sticking out towards the camera? Honestly I don't know what to do about situations like this. I want to support the developer but I also want to punish Capcom.
#2 Posted by erMonezza (355 posts) -

Send the developers some cookies, literally, bake them, box them and send them.

#3 Posted by GameYakuza (64 posts) -

it was that or facing the camera and showing her breasts. At least, she's not wearing a bikini armor or striking an impossible pose.

#5 Posted by ValValence (45 posts) -
They may as well have zoomed in and made the entire box cover be nothing but a shot of her ass, I just find it disgusting the way the industry does this crap, because you know behind it there's some sleezy corporate executive who thinks we're all stupid and that this will sell more copies.
#6 Posted by godly-adam (314 posts) -

it was that or facing the camera and showing her breasts. At least, she's not wearing a bikini armor or striking an impossible pose.

GameYakuza

Agreed ^

Can't tell if OP is joking or not, but if not, is every shot of a woman from behind a blatant and focused picture of her ass to you? Or are you just looking at it? There is a difference.

#7 Posted by ValValence (45 posts) -

You know what? Fine. There was no other way to do this, for instance they couldn't have had a closer zoom that cuts out her ass. Nope, no way to do this without overtly sexualizing the main character.

I mean she's looking back, she knows what you're looking at, she doesn't care because you won't remember. It's a dystopian future and she devours memories, Capcom was super progressive with that cover. It's not like they think male gamers are stupid or anything...

#8 Posted by ValValence (45 posts) -

is every shot of a woman from behind a blatant and focused picture of her assgodly-adam

Does every shot have her ass jutting out and highlighted with a silloette in form fitting cloths?

#9 Posted by JZSquared (1 posts) -

[QUOTE="godly-adam"]is every shot of a woman from behind a blatant and focused picture of her assValValence

Does every shot have her ass jutting out and highlighted with a silloette in form fitting cloths?

The OP is right! We should have all of our women in burqas as the great Allah intended!

#10 Posted by ValValence (45 posts) -

The OP is right! We should have all of our women in burqas as the great Allah intended!

JZSquared

Because that's the only alternative to sexualizing them right? I mean, in video games, women either have to be reduced to sexual objects, or invisible, right?

#11 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19360 posts) -

I am waiting for tin-foil-hat wearers who are worried about "politically-correct fascists" to invade this thread.

#12 Posted by pimpdaddyjay (399 posts) -

Its about time.

#14 Posted by ValValence (45 posts) -

I think Gamespot is too dead for that.

I'm surprised the industry even still advertises on this site.

#15 Posted by ObeseChipmunk (6171 posts) -

It's true, its just another sexualized female meant to stir male interest and dehumanize women. But, you gotta admit, dat ass is so fine.

#16 Posted by estalling (15 posts) -

I see your point, but you picked a poor example to shake your fist at.  There is some focus on the posterior here, but the protagonist is not scantily clad like, say, Bayonetta, and its not overtly sexual.  There are millions of pervs out there who will only notice this game because of the cover, so really it's just sound marketing.  Blame the audience.  Capcom is just giving the people what they want, and gamers (like most heterosexual males) like hot chicks.  There's plenty of dudes wearing spandex and/or no shirt for the ladies out there.  My point: it's a video game; thus it's sole purpose is entertainment, not social commentary on the state of women in america.  And women are sexualized in every form of entertainment, because sex sells.  Again, blame the audience.

#17 Posted by ValValence (45 posts) -

It's true, its just another sexualized female meant to stir male interest and dehumanize women. But, you gotta admit, dat ass is so fine.

ObeseChipmunk

Damn fine.

#18 Posted by ValValence (45 posts) -

I see your point, but you picked a poor example to shake your fist at.

estalling

No I didn't, the ass is purposely highlighted and accented in form fitting cloths, and it's a good example because the developers went through hell trying to get this game published because no one wanted to publish a game with a female protagonist, and when Capcom finally agreed to publish it, this is what they did.

#19 Posted by wyan_ (605 posts) -

*no ass pics*

*leaves*

#20 Posted by PartyGavinParty (8 posts) -

I completely agree. In fact, I looked at the cover from the review page and as soon as I spotted her ass, I went to the forum page to look for a Dat Ass topic because I KNEW there would be one. It's painfully obvious what they tried to do. I mean, I'm not one to complain about "overly-sexualizing women" often, but this is ridiculous. 

#21 Posted by khatibi22 (7221 posts) -

Well let them highlight asses, breast... whatever but let them make more games with female protagonists.

#22 Posted by khatibi22 (7221 posts) -

Besides, she has such a skinny flat Buttocks anyway. Not all that attractive. lol.