Prototype 2 WTF?

#1 Posted by SolidPandaG (218 posts) -

So I just finished the game on PC. Despite all the complaints about the gameplay and numerous bugs, I found the game ran smoothly and without issues on my rig. It was fairly enjoyable, despite the dumbed down upgrade mechanics compared to the first and was a pure indulgence type experience. But that's not the issue I have with the game. The issue I have is the story...

WTF. [SPOILERS BELOW]

Where do I even start? It's like they intentionally derailed Mercer, taking him from an interesting anti-hero to some malevolent, cliche harbinger of doom hellbent on destroying humanity and replacing it with something better. Seriously, it's like the writers at Radical completely forget Prototype 1 even existed. There was absoultely zero consistency throughout the story of the second game. His sister Dana barely registers any emotion regarding him, save aside from a cheesy and trite line saying "he's not my brother anymore". So what? Alex just got up one day and decided he'd be a tool? And then there's Heller...

Don't even get me started on this angsty jackass. Driven by a single emotion throughout the game--anger--this colossal douchebag spends the majority of the time either screaming at people or cussing profusely to everyone within sight. Seriously dude, shut up. "Oh my daughter, my daughter, Mercer will die now. Mercer will die! My poor daughter!" Holy, talk about nutjob. His character is so bipolar, he makes Jekyll and Hyde look tame in comparison. You can't even predict who he'll kill vs who he won't because he's that **** insane and unpredictable. (Galloway is an enemy one minute, but no wait, she's an uneasy ally the next, then oh wait, she's back to being an enemy). This guy's got more issues than Time Magazine.

And then the final fight... So wait yeah, Mercer, who pretty much is god in this series, gets owned by some guy he personally infected and created? WTF? He consumes all those subordinates but struggles against the black version of Ike Taylor?

Rating:

Gameplay: 8/10

Story: 3/10 (some nice cutscenes)

Oh, I forgot to mention, what the heck happened to Pariah? Mentioned only once? What? It's like the writers wrapped up the script and then remembered him all of a sudden. "Oh Pariah? Oh, uh, yeah. Let's just quickly add a reference to him in this scene."

No wonder the studio went under, you inept turds.

Avatar image for Milan13Pavlovic
#2 Posted by Milan13Pavlovic (25 posts) -
I made an account just to post here. I can't agree with you more, I just finished the game.. and I am really pissed. The ending felt so **** bad, Mercer being my 2nd most favorite protagonist (Revan from SWKotOR being the 1st), and they **** him up just like that. Like it wasn't enough Bioware ****ed up Revan in SWTOR -.- Heller is an idiot, he has an IQ of a monkey. Also Mercer is the **** virus, how the hell can ANYONE beat him.. I mean he can survive a nuke. P2 doesn't exist for me, I hope though that somehow they bring Mercer back in P3.. if there is no P3, then in my books P2 wasn't ever made.
#3 Posted by SolidPandaG (218 posts) -

I made an account just to post here. I can't agree with you more, I just finished the game.. and I am really pissed. The ending felt so **** bad, Mercer being my 2nd most favorite protagonist (Revan from SWKotOR being the 1st), and they **** him up just like that. Like it wasn't enough Bioware ****ed up Revan in SWTOR -.- Heller is an idiot, he has an IQ of a monkey. Also Mercer is the **** virus, how the hell can ANYONE beat him.. I mean he can survive a nuke. P2 doesn't exist for me, I hope though that somehow they bring Mercer back in P3.. if there is no P3, then in my books P2 wasn't ever made.Milan13Pavlovic

Agreed with the last bit dude. I'll just pretend Prototype 2 was a fan made game or a bad dream. Stupid idiot devs.

#4 Posted by Majin72 (280 posts) -
I got into a tweet war with their PR guy on Twitter, whatever position he held in the company, calling out the DLCs as crap and not adding anything to the game, along with rebutting every counter he tried to throw at me, which is when he went and started throwing personal insults. I shut down his case, told him to stop spinning, play Arkham City and mimic that in their next game instead of GTA and inFamous since they don't have any original ideas of their own and the Arkham series is vastly superior to just about everything else. He said they were happy with the game they released and that it was they game they wanted. I told him they should have hired people who hated the first game to test P2 instead of a bunch of yes-men or testing it in-house like they did because they would have gotten their idiotic ideas thrown back in their faces with all the laughs and derision they needed to hear.
#5 Posted by ZacKxFaiR (25 posts) -
The game would be more cool if you can also play as mercer when you finish the game
#6 Posted by burnouttrainer (25 posts) -
The game would be more cool if you can also play as mercer when you finish the gameZacKxFaiR
You can get a Mercer skin, IDK if that helps.
#7 Posted by burnouttrainer (25 posts) -
I mean he can survive a nuke.Milan13Pavlovic
He wouldn't have if it weren't for the crow. Never knew crows were THAT healthy for you. Jeez! LOLZ
#8 Posted by ZacKxFaiR (25 posts) -
really ?? that could be interesting