I can honestly say that I've never had such a distaste for a yearly batch of released games in all my years as a gamer. This year was absolutely horrible as far as games go. I bought a grand total of 5 games this year, all but 1 of which were ports or sequels. I bought one new, original game this year and it was a PSN download.
This year was by all accounts a great year for me aside from video games. I fell in love with an amazing woman, my work situation is better than it's ever been, I'm very close to paying off my car loan, I've changed my eating habits, I have a front porch swing that has become my new perch. Life is good. It may be coincidence that I lost interest in video games this year, it may not. Either way, these are the 5 games I deemed worthy of my time and money this year.
5. House of the Dead 4 - A port of the arcade version, released on PSN (first appearance of the game on consoles) and compatible with move. If I were interested in completing the collection I could track down the original HotD for Saturn but I think I'm gonna call it a day. It's pretty, it's fun and it's got zombies and horrible voice acting. It's nowhere near as good as the incredible HotD Overkill but I don't think anything ever will be.
4. Mushihimesama HD - A port of the arcade version and with remastered HD sprites, released on NTSC-J 360. I had a pirate copy of this game way back when for PS2 but it just never felt quite right because of interlacing and soforth. This game is so satisfying to play and the Matsuri mode was put on the disc too so I have the full experience. Awesome.
3. Dyad - The only original game I bought this year, I cannot describe the game other than to say it's kinda like Tempest or Audiosurf. It's fun. It was a PSN download.
2. Twisted Metal - This game was my date for Valentine's Day. It's great but I have to be in a very specific mood to play it. It's fun with split screen (a dying thing).
1. SSX - I have not looked forward to any game in my life more than I've looked forward to this game. I studied every piece of info released for it for a full year leading up to it's release. I joined the fan forum and racked up thousands of posts discussing, speculating. I helped set up their chat room. I played this game for hours and hours. I took a week paid time off of work to play it. I platinum'd it (my first one ever). I bought all the DLC for it. I've run that game into the ground and I still enjoy playing it.
So now it's getting time for new consoles to be released. The Wii U is out. The PS4 and xbox 3 aren't far behind. I couldn't care less about them if I tried. The only...ONLY thing on my radar for gaming in the future is the final CAVE shmup that's being released this generation: DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou. I'm buying that and I'm signing off.