Honestly, like most non-fanboys/girls on the net these days, I'm a little tired of the somewhat excessive Sony bashing which is occurring on most forums round the web recently. One has to give credit where credit is due: Sony, with their Playstation brand and popularization of the disc-based format we use for games today, has played a very significant role in the popularization of videogames as a form of mainstream entertainment and in the expansion of the industry as a whole.
That being said, it has really dumbfounded me to hear some of the recent statements made by their executives re: their upcoming PS3 console. Is it cockiness? True belief in a so-called unbelievably superior product? Wishful thinking? A little of all three??? Truly, who knows...
Without further delay, a selection of Sony's Krazy Quotes (tm):
1. Ken Kutaragi: PS3 is "too cheap" - the initial post-E3 quote that pissed people off...I mean were not all millionaires with $600 in pocket change, right? RIGHT?
2. "Krazy" Ken: PS3 is NOT a game console, "It is clearly a computer" - No Ken, PS3 is NOT a computer - until I am proven otherwise, it is a glorified Blu-Ray player with game functionality (here's truly hoping that I am proven wrong!!!)
3. Jack Tretton: In response to not not having GTA IV as an exclusive, "No, I don't think it hurts us. No, I really don't." - I don't know, but I think it must have really hurt just saying that!!! After all, it is commonly known that GTA exclusivity helped PS2 move huge amounts of units in North America this generation. In any case, if it doesn't hurt Sony, it certainly doesn't help either!
4. Howard Stringer: Xbox 360 is a "transitional product" - Howard, with all due respect, I think you missed the boat on this one...althougth PS3s graphics may certainly end up as superior in the long run, there is no doubt that as of this moment, the initial batch of PS3 games ain't lookin so good (MGS4 excepted)! Furthermore, Xbox Live has developed into the premier online gaming service, there are some great looking Xbox 360 games on the way, and sales remain very strong (except, of course, in Japan). Can't really say I see anything "transitional" about the Xbox 360 at this point!
5. Mr. Stringer, again: "The price of the PS3 is high, but you're paying for potential." - OK, this is just past ridiculous!!! No one wants to pay for "potential" Sony, they want proof of purchase IMMEDIATELY, especially after spending $600 freakin dollars on their console of choice!!!!!! Wanna know why? Because just like Blinx, 3DO, and Sega 32X, potential usually doesn't pan out!
6. Kaz Harai: On PS3 software pricing, "So, if it becomes a bit higher than fifty-nine bucks don't ding me, but, again, as I said, I don't expect it to be a hundred bucks." WTF? Does PS3 use cartridges??? Not the last time I checked! And I just can't believe that Blu-ray discs are that expensive to manufacture!!! In any case, there is no way I'll be paying more then the current gaming price point for my games...the sad part is, it's not even that I don't want to, I just can't afford it!
7. Random Sony executive (I can't remember who): Stating that PS3 could move 5 million units without any games, while probably true, is simply unnecessary in my books. Just plain cocky and full of themselves!
Anyway, taken in the proper context, the above statements are definitely great for a laugh or two! That being said, on a more serious note, I really don't like the way things are headed with the apparently increased pricing structures Sony is looking to implement (however, time will tell whether they stick with their statements). Although I would like to get a PS3, it doesn't look like it will be happening for quite a while...