2008 was definelty a great year for gaming. Many games were worthy of being the Game of the Year, but for me, 5 games truly stood out as the best of 08'.
5) Super Smash Brothers Brawl This game definetly deserves to be on my list. With the vast number of characters, amazing maps, and the customization that the seris has been known for, Brawl is one of 2008's best party games.
4) Grand Theft Auto IV I had an absolute blast playing GTA IV. I haven't ever experienced a game with so much detail. From hot-wiring cars, to using police databases to hunt down thugs, this game has it all. Hell, you can go get wasted with your friend and try to drive home! All in all, a game that everyone should play through.
3) Call of Duty: World at War I'm sure many of us had our doubts about CoD5, but when I began the campaign, all my wories were blown away. World at War definetly lives up to the standard Cod4 set with immersive firefights and enviroments, and the feeling that your ARE fighting for your life. And the top-notch multiplayer that sucked me in for 4 days playing time returns, making this game a package no shooter fan can resist.
2) Gears of War 2 Such high expectations, and all of them met, even exceeded. Gears 2 returns with a bigger, more baddass story, beefed up multiplayer, and all the chainsawing, curb-stompin, neck-snappin glory that the first game had. Gears 2 is home to some of the years most thrilling firefights, not to mention all the chainsaw duels you can imagine. If you have a 360, make sure this game gets into its disc drive.
1) Left 4 Dead Ididnt know much about this game untill like a month before its release, but knowing Valves track record, I had a feeling that Left 4 Dead would be a stellar game on all fronts. First off, its simple interface makes it easy for anyone to pick up and play, as well as having only 5 or 6 weapons that all sound and perform well. This definetly makes it simple to jump in and get to tearing apart zombies. But, the greatest element is the focus on teamwork. Nothing beats holding up in an old farmhouse, wating for that military truck to pull up and take you to saftey, all the while you have zombies beating down doors and Hunters poucing on your fellow survivors. Sticking together and making sure that everyone is healed up and protected makes the experience unforgetable, and its really hard to explain to someone who hasnt played it. So for your own sake, pick up Left 4 Dead.
Fable II Ive only rented this game for a few days, but im having a blast so far and cant wait to delve farther into it. Definetly considering purchasing it, cause there are just so many things to do.
Battlefield: Bad Company Blowing the f*** out of everything you saw never got old, and this surprise hit definetly had me hooked. If only the campaign was as fleshed out as the memorable multiplayer, this would be in my top 5 for sure. Heres for hoping that BF BC2 is just as good!!
Far Cry 2 Im about half way into the story, and its a pretty good game. I think that it can get a little stale from time to time, but sneaking into enemy camps, blowing up guard posts, and pretty much doing what you want to do in the 50 square mile map makes for some good times