Yes, What I would like in Dead Space 3. I know, the second statement of the series got out in January and,at least for me, is one of the games that should get a Game of The Year award.
Dead Space 1 is the most terrifying game of this console generation, presenting new ideas to a market saturated with follow-ups (COD, Halo, Homefront, and a lot of more games). The gamespot review for this game is hereand IGN is here. The game metacritics is a 89 for the XBOX 360 and 88 for the PS3.
Dead Space 2 is everything the first game was and more. Great story (spoiler free: nothing is more chocking for me than Dead Space 1 climax), great gameplay and a good set of lead characters. This game has a gameplay so refined that keeps pulling me back. The gamespot review is hereand IGN is here. This game metacritics is 90 to the XBOX 360 and 89 to PS3.
This being said and due to the success of the games, an third statement seem pretty obvious. That it would be a trilogy, it was already known, and EA planning to set Dead Space as a solid horror franchise is known as well.
So, during the development of the second game EA actually listened to most of what players had to complain about Dead Space to make a better game in Dead Space 2. Thinking of that, I started thinking of what I would like to see in Dead Space 3.
Here is my list:
- More player choices impacts (not only the en-game choices only, but actually in-game things. Ex: receive a radio of a group of survivors needing help and having a set of time to rescue then. If not done, this survivors would become living dead or scavengers, fighting for survival and using the same resources of Isaac. If rescued, could be a safe haven.)
- Customization. The armors in Dead Space are awesome. But I would like to customize a little, and as been a console player, mods are not an option.
- More means to an end, giving the player the option to choose this approach (like Deus Ex: Human Revolution);
- Option to kill civilians. WTF? Yes, kill civilians. If this group of people is running to a area you know has a lot of lurkers, and they are probably future lurkers, way not kill then now, that they don't pose so much of a treat?
- Some explanation for some things. I now this is vague and I don't want to spoil the game for anyone, but I believe there is to much open. Is like the Lost ending. Nothing was explained. And in the beginning it was great, after the scary experience you had with Isaac (twice now) the feeling of surviving is overwhelming and fulfillling, but there are a lot of open questions.
- No multiplayer. Yes, no multiplayer. Some games are design to have great multiplayer experience, others not. Dead Space is one of the last. I never even played the multiplayer for this game. You see, the atmosphere of this game is one of it's major qualities, and no way in hell you can keep this in multiplayer parties, with 12 year old screaming and cursing all the time. Let the first person shooters have then.
- No co-op. Resident Evil 5 was not that great a game because you had a companion all the time. Part of what makes a horror game good is the loneliness and the longing for other living (virtually speaking) person. Nothing is as scary as the feeling of been the last one alive, or having all the others characters in safe havens an you in the fray.
- Keep the sound team. They're amazing. One of the reasons this games works.
- New kinds of monsters, but without getting to loose. The babies still give me chills.
- Correct time table for the single player campaign. Both games had the correct time table to tell their story without been to long or to short. Adding some side quests, or the possibility to play for the perspective of other person (as in the dlc Severed) would add great replay value.
I believe this is all I have for now. What you would like in Dead Space 3? What 're your thoughts about the franchise?