Not the most impressive E3 by many accounts. Comparing to the last few years the feeling I got from all the respected companies is that we are on the last year or two with the current HD generation consoles, respectively - PS3 and Xbox 360.
I'm looking forward to the next generation, with Wii U just around the corner and myself still going through the Nintendo Wii library with my wife. While I always keep an open mind when it comes to gaming and life in general, outside of few great Mario oriented games and 2-3 good JRPG's, I haven't found many Wii titles on the market that interest me.
I'll start with my personal impression with the Nintendo press conference:
- I was expecting Wii U to be the prime orientation for the press conference and they did show some games for it. The new Pikmin looks superb, the new Mario Brothers looks fun as well even thou it looks oddly too familiar with current Nintendo Wii title. I'm not sure how to feel about introduction of the hardcore gaming with Wii U. We all saw few current and future hardcore games on the system, Arkham City Wii U edition, Assassins's Creed III introduction and so forth.
I'm little in doubt why would Nintendo go with hardcore route when we already have two major consoles that fill in that market very well. Do we really need a third one? I own Nintendo Wii, PS3 and PC. Each entertainment offers me something different. I don't think Wii U should waste resources and income with hardcore games and should continue focusing on the market they always had instead - casual, family and kids. Time will tell how that will work out for the company, I just hope it's not going to divide them too far apart.
- Unfortunately I don't own xbox 360 so I won't comment much on it respectively. I did watched the press conference as well and I did liked the new Halo 4 and Gears announcements.
- Ubisoft conference was pretty well done. Lots of great games had been shown and one of mine most anticipated titles had been shown in its full glory, of course I'm talking about Assassins Creed III. The game looks excellent in motion and I have little doubt it might be strong contender for 2012 GOTY nominee.
- EA conference was not bad as well, I wasn't the fan of the over - marketing strategy they pulled off but the games well good. Dead Space 3 looks great, Crysis 3 and new Medal of Honor: Warfighter also look great.
- PlayStation 3 conference had some good exclusives for me to look forward to. The Last of Us gameplay footage was superb, David Cage's - Beyond: Two Souls project appears to overcome the Heavy Rain emotional concept which will probably make me not want to put down the controller, God of War: Ascension single player demo also showed some new enemies, new gameplay combo variations and of course over the top kill animation. It looks to be another amazing title in the series.
Also shown off was Assassin's Creed 3 itself for the PS3, utilizing a live demo on stage to show off the game's massive high seas battles by ship which looked outstanding.
One product I'm still not sold on is the PlayStation Vita. E3 did announced its own version ofAssassin;s Creed 3: Liberation, which will feature for the first time a female assassin as the hero for the game's series. I would love to see more specific Vita games only before I consider purchasing the product. At this time,Uncharted: Golden Abyss is the only game I would love to play.
The system needs better memory card bundle, cheaper price and more Vita oriented games - more quality RPG's, action adventure titles that you can't find on PS3. The handheld needs its own quality games. AC: Liberation is a start.
- Overall It was a decent E3 2012 for me, although little underwhelming on some parts. I wished Sony E3 had more time (1 hour wasn't enough) to show off more Vita games and future plans, PS3 could had used another 2 great exclusives.
Wii U should had shown actual console hardware statistic and more unique games for it and not just games we already have or will have on both PS3 and Xbox 360.
Special interest for me was Star Wars 1313, Dishonored, new Tomb Raider, Metro: Last Light, Ni No Kuni gameplay, amazing Watch Dogs by Ubisoft which was my favorite game of all E3 2012.
This are some of the games I can't wait to enjoy even thou some of them are not here until 2013. The way I see it by 2013 E3 we will have next generation console announcement and by late 2014 we will spend Holiday season being with friends and family and next gen. hardware. Look forward to anticipation of next year E3.