One thing I have seldom experienced during my years as a gamer is being at complete odds with the opinion of the general public. Spurring from the continued success of the Wii however, and the handing around of '9.0s' like its going out of fashion, I have now begun to find myself more readily disagreeing with the popular opinion of the gaming community and industry more and more. Recently after actually getting an Xbox 360 and playing a certain game which has been plagued industry wide with negative reviews I have become compelled to write this opinionative rant. The game I am talking about is Clive Barker's Jericho and I'm writing about... (to put bluntly) why the hell do so many people not like this game!!?
*sigh* Before I get too far I feel I should probably state that I do realise people have different opinions.. but almost every review I've read and video review I've watched and score I've looked at I just completely disagree with. Let me try and break down my POV on this game in comparison to the critics;
1) Cramped Environments - Uhm.. what? NO! I just passed the part where the demo ended and I have so far not experienced any of the frustrations that reviewers b**** and moan about to do with not having enough room to 'tactically maneuver'. Furthermore learn to f****** shoot you stupid gits. If the 'exploding enemies' are such a big deal, which they certainly are NOT (coming from the guy who's using analog sticks) then maybe you should set the difficulty to easy.. in which case you would then probably whine about it being too boring because there's not enough challenge. Psh!
2) Bad Weapons - I don't even want to know what people are thinking with this. Granted some of the weapons don't pack a nice 'oomph' sound to them, but their capabilities are damn impressive and their designs and graphics are superb. As a matter a fact I also know another game with some weapons which dont sound fantastic; Halo 3.
3) Context Sensitive Button Prompts Feel... Out of Place? - I've played several button prompt games (Resident Evil 4, God of War) and I again have to state this is a stupid comment. These prompt situations are awesome and I never once sat there thinking whilst I was playing 'wow this is so out of place'. What is 'out of place' in relation to button prompts even actually meant to mean anyway...?
4) Unoriginal Abilities - I'm sorry but what were people expecting.. the ability to fly or turn into aquaman? Exorcism, spiritual healing, blood wards, fire demons, slow motion aren't good enough for you people? This is one of the most pathetic attempts to bring down the game.
5) Too Many Abilities and Weapons - So rat out on the 'unoriginality' of some of the coolest, classic supernatural abilities and then whine about how there is too many. I can understand how some people may feel overburdened by the VARIETY the character switching and abilities/weapon combinations this game offers but seriously as far as I've played there has been not one occasion where I have overused or underused a certain character in any fighting situation before (whether its for their weapons or abilities I end up using a nice mix as second nature)
6) Bad Dialogue/Characters - I honestly wasn't expecting much from the characters in the way of any remote submissive or weak nature. They are a branch of the US Military. They are full out commando and whilst not making the game very scary, they really do drive the ambition to run and gun into a pack of blood thirsty (fantastically designed) monsters. Yes the dialogue is strange at times but I personally didn't realise the ridiculousness of some of the lines until they were commented upon in a review.
So there that's my passion for the defence of this game out in words on my blog. I cant stress again how well aware I am of these things called opinions, but this game really deserves more credit than its been given (IMO). I suppose when it boils down to it what really infuriates me is not the are reviews Jericho got, but the reviews other games got in comparison. These include;
- SSBB (9.5) - No way! This game is EXACTLY like melee but with more features thrown in. It's almost laughable it got such a high score..
- Assassin's Creed (9.0) - Beautiful world but becomes rather linear and boring after a while. (OPINION!!)
- Bioshock (9.0) - Well I'm not quite sure what to say about this.. its a great game.. fantastic immersion.. but the enemies were boring and the coolest stage was the first level, Dr Steinmann's surgery. Revolutionary ground breaking story telling... wth? 9.0 worthy? No.