Only once in a millenia does such perfect come about.

User Rating: 10 | Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time PS2
If the matrix hadn't shown us the slowing of time scene, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time would be a game that would be alot less familiar to anyone. And now, considering the age of this game I shall rate it from the time that it came out, so it's a retrospective review.

Sands of Time, was the game that started a series that rocked the gaming world and introduced the ability to reverse ones mistakes and escape the impossible, death. Combined with the key elements that most games should incorperate that is, fighting, puzzles and a great story, it'll have you playing the game today, 4 years after the release.

One of the great things about this game is that the main character has no name, and this is usually thought as a stupid decision made by Producers, but no, in this game, it adds to the game. As you pass through the game you understand more of the prince, and his characters are combines to form a character that truely has no name. He along with a feminin companion journey around a ruined Empire which was ruined by the prince, thus a journey to reverse time.

And now onto the core elements review.

POPSOT, as it's often abbreviated is possibly the only game to have that just perfect difficulty. No matter if your a veteran at this game or if your entirely new the game works in your favour, and very quickly you are suited up and ready for real gameplay, whether that be the fights or the massive puzzles. The game dawns on you and can be very fun to play over and over for the sake of a quicker clocking time.

If you enjoy puzzle-wander-around-and-kill-enemies type games, then you should fly through the game. The puzzles aren't the type to have you absolutely ripping your hair out, they are player friendly and aren't that hard to figure out though some take alot of time to complete. The max you would spend on this game would be 10 hours. It's okay if you do more, because then obviously then you would enjoy the scenery. I know I do.

The gameplay was comprised of carefully balanced fighting with multiple enemies that always keep you alert as well as may well rendered environments that are awesome and unbelievably stunning considering the time at which the games were made. The puzzles in the game also form part of the story, for example when you activate the huge pillar puzzle that turns on all the traps and thus you have to do battle with all the traps for the rest of game. The story also was a benchmark for the PS2, not to mention the whole idea of slowing and reversing time to your advantage which gave way to heaps of other ideas for games to do with some sort of time warp. Also the weapons you use change, so that the fighting itself doesn't become so bland and boring.

The graphics are a simply superb. So immersive and real. They brought out the power of the PS2 and started what you would call benchmarks. Though the graphics I am reviewing in retrospect, if I had the money, I would offer as much as required to recreate the graphics at the maximum possible for the PS2 or possibly the PS3, because this game is simply worth it.

The soundtrack in the game was inspiring, and just the right thing needed to boost you when you were in need. A perfect mix of Indian and Arabic that add that Persian feel. It sounds like music that would be heard back then so it adds too the realism of the game. I managed to get ahold of the soundtrack and still listen to it now.

The game was worth the price I paid for it as it still serves me to entertain me, and I honestly hope it'll survive to the time of my children as it is an excellent story.

In the end, I say that this is possibly the greatest game that has ever left the heart of any developer and has earned it's strips as my number one favourite game of all time. The perfect game for the perfect era, just after the release of PS2 and the golden age of Sony.