Borderlands combination of FPS and RPG elements is very well executed in a more complementary way than Fallout.

I'd heard a lot of good things about Borderlands before I finally got it, so I tried not to get my hopes up in case I didn't like it.

It took a couple hours to really get into the game, learn the menus and systems, etc, but once I did, I was hooked. The combat is fast paced and can be very challenging at first, until you figure out which guns work best and how to effectively use your characters ability.

I chose the Berserker and was a little disappointed by his punching ability at first, but once I put points towards that ability, it got to the point where he could stay in Berserk mode for a long time, and could get back into it quickly once it wore off. Then it became much more useful.

Borderlands also feels huge. There are missions everywhere, and there are tons of maps too. I've been playing Borderlands almost exclusively lately, and just finished the main story-line last night. But there is a ton of replay value because I still have dozens of missions to complete, and will probably go right back to them without stopping just because I completed the main quests.

There are a few issues with the game. In split-screen co-op, the game lags for me every time there are more than 1 or 2 enemies on the screen. This made later missions almost unplayable as the lag lasted for 2 to 3 seconds at a time. Also, the menus in split screen were a pain because the menu is too large for half of the screen so you have to move it around to see different parts of it - you can't see one menu screen all at once. These are both split screen issues, but the game is so fun with another player that they are really that, issues.

Despite its short comings, Borderlands is an extremely fun combination of character building and shamelessly chasing after enemies with big guns. I wasn't disappointed at all and would highly reccomend this game to anyone who likes FPS or RPGs as it fuses the genres in a more steamlined and compementary way than games like Fallout.