So what's so great about Ni No Kuni?

#1 Posted by Guest1001 (3 posts) -

I played the Ni No Kuni demo and thought it was okay. The world map looked great, I liked the setting and the voice actors but thought the combat left a lot to be desired. So I didn't expect it to receive the attention that it has. Amazon's price went from £31.99, pre-release, to £59.99 just a few minutes ago. That's pretty damn ridiculous for any game.

Since Gamespot have done their usual "stellar" job of reviewing the game without actually telling the reader much, can someone tell me what's so appealing about the game? The way Gamespot put it, it sounds like it's all thanks to the story. I love Level 5 (thanks to the Dark Cloud games) and want them to do well but nothing about the demo really grabbed me.

#2 Posted by Sahle123 (115 posts) -

I played the Ni No Kuni demo and thought it was okay. The world map looked great, I liked the setting and the voice actors but thought the combat left a lot to be desired. So I didn't expect it to receive the attention that it has. Amazon's price went from £31.99, pre-release, to £59.99 just a few minutes ago. That's pretty damn ridiculous for any game.

Since Gamespot have done their usual "stellar" job of reviewing the game without actually telling the reader much, can someone tell me what's so appealing about the game? The way Gamespot put it, it sounds like it's all thanks to the story. I love Level 5 (thanks to the Dark Cloud games) and want them to do well but nothing about the demo really grabbed me.

Guest1001

Well gamespot reviews don't usually reflect the general public's opinion of the game--it's mostly an attempt for an unbiased review by them. The only thing GS reviews are good for is just giving you a general idea of the game. And sometimes there are fantastic games out their that everyone seems to love, but don't quite click with ya. I hate it when that happens, but this might be one of those instances for you.

Personally though, I love the game thoroughly! :) The story is fleshed out wonderfully, the variety of places you visit and the vibrant world you travel in also keep me going. And as for the gameplay, I admit, it is a little frustrating at first because MP is a huge issue, initially, and you don't have full control of all your allies. However, once you get far enough and obtain all mentioned abilities/tactics, the gameplay soars from their beautifully.

#3 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (409 posts) -

It's a killer app in my opinion. Demo doesn't do it justice. I honestly think its a reason to buy a PS3 and I will treasure this game like I do all my Miyazaki dvds - as works of art. In terms of gameplay, its nothing you haven't seen before. That doesn't mean it's bad - and as you progress it only gets better. You've gotta love studio ghibli to understand what a labor of love this game is. If it went over your head from the start I honestly dont even think its the game for you... But I'm not sure what you were expecting gameplay wise... It reminds me of a cross between Pokemon and dragon quest with a couple of its own twists That add a lot of depth collectively 

#4 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (566 posts) -

A lot of people that played the demo said they weren't impressed with it. But just about everybody that played the game said that they are impressed with it.

Graphics, music, story, acting, gameplay, all A+ in my opinion. I've put about 100 hours into it in the past couple weeks. I've played something like 70+ PS3 games and I would put this in the Top 3. It's a classic for sure. Don't miss it.

#5 Posted by RollinKaos (69 posts) -
Downloaded the demo, played about 5 minutes and decided I had to have this game. I bought it last night and I cant wait to fire it up tonight and begin my adventure.
#6 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -

It's just an extremely solid, well-polished JRPG. It's a good throwback to gaming in the late 90's with all those JRPGs back on the PSOne. The graphics + animation do a great job of making it feel like you're playing in a studio Ghibli film.

#7 Posted by Dark_Metamorphosis (13350 posts) -

It makes you feel all warm on the inside

#8 Posted by Toysoldier34 (2373 posts) -

I have played a decent amount and this game really hits the spot that fans of the genre really haven't had this generation. It just does everything right.

#9 Posted by sssb (470 posts) -

Just one word Everything.

#10 Posted by gMcR (216 posts) -

Pretty much everything in my opinion. It's the first JRPG I've enjoyed since Final Fantasy X.

#11 Posted by Bahamut_Zero_N (10 posts) -

It makes you feel all warm on the inside

Dark_Metamorphosis
Agreed
#12 Posted by Honenheim (5394 posts) -

compare to the eccesive violent games that were used to ni no kuni actually delivers positivity and moral ground on just about everything, the dialog and emotional respons, this is a game that actually is not trying very hard to pull someone on an emotional response for a feel for justice or revenge its just a plain ol positive story.

#13 Posted by midizeronine (646 posts) -

Pretty much everything in my opinion. It's the first JRPG I've enjoyed since Final Fantasy X.

gMcR

right on!

#14 Posted by Creating4229 (3 posts) -
Check my Playthrough https://www.youtube.com/user/ruby4229