How does this compare to Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles?

#1 Posted by Geertvdheide (29 posts) -

To those who've played this game (might be a few days until people play it, but here goes):

I'm a fan of turn based RPG's, but I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with them. I loved Final Fantasy 9 (only one I've played so far). I've also played Eternal Sonata but found it too grindy. The story wasn't enough to keep me going. Then I tried Valkyria Chronicles but wasn't into the combat system. Also I found the dialog cringeworthy and slow.

What do you think my chances are of liking Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch? Is it comparable to the games I've mentioned; it is better? Looking for some input to decide whether to buy this or not. Thanks!

#2 Posted by Nophoria88 (410 posts) -

To those who've played this game (might be a few days until people play it, but here goes):

I'm a fan of turn based RPG's, but I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with them. I loved Final Fantasy 9 (only one I've played so far). I've also played Eternal Sonata but found it too grindy. The story wasn't enough to keep me going. Then I tried Valkyria Chronicles but wasn't into the combat system. Also I found the dialog cringeworthy and slow.

What do you think my chances are of liking Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch? Is it comparable to the games I've mentioned; it is better? Looking for some input to decide whether to buy this or not. Thanks!

Geertvdheide

Well look at the scores its getting, it is better, yes. The thing that worries me is that you found Valkyrie Chronicles dialog cringeworthy, but that's basically what all anime-like things are like. So for that part I suggest deciding on the dialog for yourself from some youtube videos or something. Other than that I WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend this game to you, though the combat system isn't fully turn based, it's like the 'Tales of' games. It is an amazing game in so many ways, as the game just came out, I can't tell you how grindy it is, I'm personally not worried about that because it wouldn't stop me either way from playing this masterpiece.

Also, I'd recommend going to the GameFAQS forums, its flooded with 201 pages of Ni No Kuni topics. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch

#3 Posted by Geertvdheide (29 posts) -
Thanks for your reply! I'll be sure to check out some videos, but I'm pretty sure I'll like the game. I'll wait untill its price drops though, since I have too much stuff to play anyway. But it's on the list :)
#4 Posted by ropumar (1106 posts) -
is better. You will like it, is more similar to FF9.
#5 Posted by sugrim (880 posts) -

My suggestion to u is "not to buy"............U say u are a fan of Turn based RPG's yet only played FF9!!! come on, u hardly know what a turn based RPG is judging from the games u've played thus far..... so do ur self a favor and leave this game alone. ppl like me who are RPG fans are more inclined to play and not need the advise of others to make a decision like this. Hopes this helps ease your confusion ;)

#6 Posted by Falru (81 posts) -

My suggestion to u is "not to buy"............U say u are a fan of Turn based RPG's yet only played FF9!!! come on, u hardly know what a turn based RPG is judging from the games u've played thus far..... so do ur self a favor and leave this game alone. ppl like me who are RPG fans are more inclined to play and not need the advise of others to make a decision like this. Hopes this helps ease your confusion ;)

sugrim

What am I reading?

#7 Posted by Bubble_Man (3095 posts) -

[QUOTE="sugrim"]

Falru

What am I reading?

The babbling of a madman.

#8 Posted by Generic_Dude (11707 posts) -
I didn't really like either of those games, but I like Ni No Kuni quite a bit. If you played and liked any of Level 5's other games (especially Dragon Quest VIII) then you should play this game.
#9 Posted by Generic_Dude (11707 posts) -
I didn't really like either of those games, but I like Ni No Kuni quite a bit. If you played and liked any of Level 5's other games (especially Dragon Quest VIII) then you should play this game.
#10 Posted by Generic_Dude (11707 posts) -
#11 Posted by blackace (20886 posts) -

Geertvdheide
It's a better game then Enternal Sonata. It's completely different from Valkyria Chronicles which is more like Front Mission then any other SquareEnix game. Ni No Kuni is also more of an action RPG. You actions are all on a time. You have to run around your enemy attacking, defending and casting spells. What's more is you can switch to other characters and do the same thing or use tactic commands for them to follow. The story is brilliantly done, even though it's a little kiddie at time. There is a LOT to do in the game howerver with many tasks to complete, items to make, chests to open and hidden items to find. If you try to do everything, it will definitely take you over 50+hrs to complete this game. I'm already on 14hrs and I'm not even at the 1/2 way point yet. I believe there is a demo on PSN, so try that first before you buy.
#12 Posted by Kushlius (6 posts) -

The game is great. Only downside is dumb AI. The game is like downgraded version of final fantasy games (7,8 and 9). I liked valkyria chronickles, but these game are very different. And ni no kuni is pretty long, there's pretty big amount of grinding but it's still fun.

#13 Posted by jakesnakeel (167 posts) -

Your tastes are the exact opposite of mine. Eternal Sonatia is one of my all time favorites and I loved Valkyria, but haven't ever finished a FF game. But, it sounds like you are an rpg fanatic enough that you really should play the game because, whatever style rpg Ni No is, it's one of the best ever, of that style.  And any gamer will appreciate the amazing polish and heart that the game has.

#14 Posted by gMcR (216 posts) -

Well, the combat system is much faster and entertaining compared to the slow combat in Valkyria Chronicles.

I'm not sure how it compares to Eternal Sonata since I never played it, but the game does require a certain amount of grinding.

If I remember correctly it's possible to make the xp gain faster by lowering the difficulty.