Blizzard confirms the Warcraft maker's first console game won't be released for Nintendo's current-gen console.
When it showed off Starcraft: Ghost to the crowd at Blizzcon last weekend, Blizzard Entertainment did not mention any specific platform the game was being released for. Many assumed that was because those attending the event were familiar with the long story behind the publisher's first foray into the console market. Announced in 2002, Starcraft: Ghost has seen its fair share of woes, with its original developer, Nihilistic Software (Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption ), being replaced by Swingin' Ape (Metal Arms: Glitch in the System) in the summer of 2004 for undisclosed reasons.
Despite switching developers, Starcraft: Ghost's consoles have always been consistent--until this week, anyway. Speaking to GameSpot, a Blizzard staffer confirmed that the game is now only being released for the Xbox and PlayStation 2, meaning the previously announced GameCube edition has been canceled. The staffer did not give a reason why it had been scrapped.
Luckily, a moderator on the forums of Battle.net, the official Starcraft and Warcraft Web site, did lay out the official motivation behind shelving Ghost for the GameCube. "In order to provide the game envisioned by the console team, a set and readily available online solution was needed," said the moderator. "Unfortunately the GameCube has no online service and since so much work is going in to the online portion, it would be additional work to release only part of the intended game."
That said, the moderator was quick to point out that the cancellation was not due to Blizzard being biased against the Mario factory. "Nintendo systems certainly aren't something that we are against supporting," he said. "The GameCube and Revolution will still be considered for future products."
DAMN THOSE BLIZZARD CORPORATE BASTARDS, MAKE A FREAKING STARCRAFT 2 INSTEAD OF SC:HOEst AND WORLD OF PEOPLE-WITHOUT-LIVES-CRAFT>
Forget the Gamecube, focus on the Rev, X360 and PS3 from now on's what I say. Who cares about this game anyway?
really no one else posted comments. how lame. well i read this back then and didn't post comments too...but im not lame. it doesn't surprise me. Blizzard is all about the online. I kinda wish they made starcraft II instead. They practically shafted everyone anticipating starcraft II.
Now that it's official that Ghost is to be released for Next-Gen consoles, I'd say what I wanted to say long ago: Blizzard will eventually cancel the whole project, leaving us with the glare in the eyes. It's just like Mother 3. It has been in development during almost 10 years, but we have never seen it finished. It looks like it will come for the GBa, but...who knows? I really want to see that game, but we can't be certain about it's deffinitive launch date.
Avalanche Studios co-founder says developer's ambition is for action, not moments that make players cry; steampunk-style game on hold. Full Story
- Posted May 15, 2013 6:33 am PT
4A Games creative director Andrew Prokhorov thanks Jason Rubin for telling the studio's story, but says, "We deserve the ratings we get." Full Story
- Posted May 16, 2013 12:44 pm PT