FOSTER CITY, Calif., August 4, 2006 – Demonstrating the massive appeal of the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and its software library, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. today announced that beginning Sunday, August 6, five additions will be made to its PlayStation 2 “Greatest Hits” lineup: SOCOM 3: U.S. NAVY SEALs,Shadow of the Colossus, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Jak X: Combat Racing and Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves. Today’s announcement marks a total of 169 “Greatest Hits” titles for PlayStation 2, more than any other platform.
To qualify as a PlayStation 2 “Greatest Hit” a title must have proven to be a driving force in software sales and in heightening the demand for the hardware that supports it. PlayStation 2 “Greatest Hits” games are available in stores for as low as $19.99 (SRP), and offer consumers the widest variety of content for all age groups.
“From Grand Theft Auto to Gran Turismo 4, the Greatest Hits program offers something for everyone, and consistently provides consumers and retailers with best-selling games while further extending the PlayStation 2 value proposition,” said Peter Dille, Senior Vice President of Marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment America. “The new Greatest Hits additions provide an incentive for new gamers to purchase PlayStation 2 and core gamers to add classic titles to their existing libraries.”
The PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system was launched on October 26, 2000. Since then more than 38 million consoles have been sold in North America, with more than 107 million units shipped worldwide. To date, more than one billion pieces of software for the platform have shipped worldwide, overall making PlayStation 2 the fastest-selling gaming platform on the market.
About Recently Added “Greatest Hits” Titles:
- SOCOM 3: U.S. NAVY SEALs. Currently the most widely played online title on PlayStation 2, SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs presents the most realistic military strategy title on any console, utilizing an extensive single-player experience with player-controlled vehicles, weapon customization, and gameplay maps five to six times larger than in previous SOCOM iterations. As the SEAL commander controlling three AI teammates, players will protect freedom from enemy forces in urban and rural warfare throughout the world. SOCOM 3 supports 32 players with players able to access the games’ online community at no extra charge, using the broadband service of their choice. Rated “M” for Mature.
- Shadow of the Colossus. Upon release in 2005, Shadow of the Colossus received high praise from the media and gaming industry, garnering awards from IGN, the 2005 Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences and the 2005 Game Developers Choice Awards. In Shadow of the Colossus, players embark on a majestic journey in a mystical land to defeat extremely large colossal beasts in order to seek the truth behind an ancient tale of hidden power that brings a lost soul back to life. Armed with a horse, player’s journey across picturesque landscapes to unearth and destroy 16 gigantic mythical Colossi. The grueling task of defeating a Colossus pits intelligent puzzle solving and action oriented gameplay against the mighty power and force of mountain- sized beasts. From the award-winning developers of the critically acclaimed ICO, comes a masterpiece of an adventure. Rated “T” for Teen.
- Ratchet: Deadlocked. Continuing the evolution of the popular Ratchet and Clank series, Ratchet: Deadlocked introduces new elements to the franchise such as co-op gameplay through the entire story mode, squad-based functionality, an enhanced weapons modification system, and the ability of up to 10 players to compete online utilizing a broadband connection. Players will be drawn into this action-packed platformer as Ratchet and Clank are captured while investigating the disappearance of several famous heroes. The duo soon discovers that the missing heroes have been abducted by a deranged media mogul, who intends to use them as contestants on an underground reality combat show called "DeadZone." To keep himself and his friends alive, Ratchet will have to participate in the games and keep driving up the show's rating with victories. Rated “T” for Teen
- Jak X: Combat Racing. Jak X: Combat Racing takes the Jak and Daxter franchise to a new level with the introduction of head-to-head car combat and the incorporation of both multiplayer and online gameplay. Delivering a refreshingly new experience to fans of the Jak and Daxter series, Jak X: Combat Racing brings a heart-stopping plot and high-speed action. After a mysterious invite brings Jak and Daxter to Kras City, they discover that they have been poisoned by the sinister Krew. Krew gives the duo an ultimatum - race for him in the next Kras City Grand Championship and receive the poison antidote. With that, Jak and his friends are forced into a high-speed contest for their own lives as they are swept up into a deadly plot to win the biggest combat race on the planet against the best drivers in the world. Rated “T” for Teen.
- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves. Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves builds upon the award-winning Sly Cooper franchise with an all-new animated adventure allowing players to join Sly and his crew as they struggle against new villains and old adversaries in an effort to recover the Cooper family fortune. Showcasing Sucker Punch’s signature toon-shaded artistic style and outstanding storytelling, Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves returns for Sly’s most elaborate heist with a variety of new gameplay features, including eight playable characters, 3D gameplay, challenging co-op and head-to-head multiplayer games, new vehicles, mini-games, disguises, enhanced combat move sets and much more. Rated “E10+” for Everyone 10 and up.
About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation and PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system and the upcoming, much-anticipated PLAYSTATION 3 system.
Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and develops, publishes, markets and distributes software for the PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and the PSP system for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif. Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Avalanche Studios co-founder says developer's ambition is for action, not moments that make players cry; steampunk-style game on hold. Full Story
- Posted May 15, 2013 6:33 am PT
4A Games creative director Andrew Prokhorov thanks Jason Rubin for telling the studio's story, but says, "We deserve the ratings we get." Full Story
- Posted May 16, 2013 12:44 pm PT