Sign on Options
Theme: [Light Selected] To Dark»

Shadow of the Eternals crowd funding to be temporarily canceled

Precursor Games canceling crowd funding through Kickstarter and its own site on June 6 after "exciting new opportunities" emerge; will return in next few weeks.

The crowd-funding campaign for Shadow of the Eternals--a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness--will be temporarily canceled later this week.

Developer Precursor Games announced the news today, saying the campaigns on Kickstarter and through its own website will shut down on June 6.

At press time, nearly $285,000 had been contributed to the project from almost 5,000 people.

Explaining the move, Precursor Games CEO Paul Caporicci said the studio has received "a host of new exciting opportunities that will make the game better than we envisioned."

None of these opportunities were detailed, though Caporicci said Precursor will relaunch a new Kickstarter in the next few weeks that will reveal some of the new developments.

Caporicci also made clear that "not a single dime" from the Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter campaign will be removed from supporters' accounts, and those who donated through the game's website will receive full refunds.

The game was originally targeted to launch during the second half of 2014 for the Wii U and PC.

Eddie Makuch
By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Eddie Makuch (Mack-ooh) is a News Editor at GameSpot. He works out of the company's Boston office in Somerville, Mass., and loves extra chunky peanut butter.

106 comments
MonkeySpot
MonkeySpot

I knew it was too good to be true that the game was being made... "Bwaaah-BWWWAAAA... " (disappointment sound effect).

:(

This is like a sequel to "Beyond Good & Evil" ever getting finished... it'll be another "Duke Nukem Forever". We wait and wait, and then they drop a deuce in our machines...

zyxahn
zyxahn

Wasn't the Too Human guy doing this game ???  Or am I mistaken.

YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Nothing against Kickstarter, but I hope they get a publishing deal and don't need the crowd funding campaign.

LeviHarris
LeviHarris

I'm surprised more people aren't excited about this news. This means we'll probably get to actually play the spiritual successor to one of the Gamecube's best games. Gamers win in my opinion. 

Thanatos2k
Thanatos2k like.author.displayName 1 Like

@LeviHarris You don't know much about the history of the developers do you?  They have a rich history of failing to meet expectations and cancelled games.

LeviHarris
LeviHarris

@Thanatos2k @LeviHarris I do, actually. And the original Legacy of Kain still has one of the most well-crafted, adult stories to date. The gameplay mechanics and storytelling of Eternal Darkness were superb and unique. The only real tarnishing they have in this "rich history" you speak of is Too Human. Which, I can completely agree, was garbage.

Marky360
Marky360

Well to be fair I read the real reason X-men destiny failed was not because it was just some licensed game cash in but because Denis Dyack moved resources and talent meant for X- men destiny over to what has become shadow of the eternals. All without the permission of Activision.

LeviHarris
LeviHarris

@Thanatos2k @LeviHarris Man, the pessimism of the internet is astounding. It should come as no surprise that licensed games are going to suck. Hence X-men. Too Human...I wish I knew what the hell happened there. Should have been great. Regardless, have a little faith that an independent IP that isn't tied to a movie release or a licensed product that's rushed to market to cash in one one thing or another has the POTENTIAL to be good. The way everyone is shitting on this after seeing just a glimpse of it is like hearing you have a tumor and not waiting to listen if it's benign or malignant and automatically assuming you're going to die. 

Thanatos2k
Thanatos2k like.author.displayName 1 Like

@LeviHarris @Thanatos2k Dude, this is not the same studio that made Legacy of Kain or even Eternal Darkness.  Those days and those people are long gone.  What is left are the people who made Too Human and X-men Destiny.

Dieofnv
Dieofnv

@LeviHarris @Thanatos2k and yet i'm still hope for a sequel i was actually playing too human 2 days ago and people still play it online

Ophenix1
Ophenix1 like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 3 Like

@LeviHarris @Thanatos2k They made X-Men: Destiny, a game with 47 meta-critic. They blamed all the faults of Too Human on Epic Games and their game engine. They burnt the company down in a blaze of lawsuits which ended in the physical destruction of Too Human and X-Men: Destiny.

I wouldn't trust Silicone Knights with my pet goldfish, let alone my money. And Precursor Games is basically all the people who messed up Silicone Knights. So... Yeah.

lostn
lostn like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 8 Like

Crowdfunding suspended...


READ: We know we aren't going to get close to the required amount we ask for, and we don't want to embarrass ourselves with a failure so we'll pull the campaign early to spare ourselves from humiliation and say, we could have reached our goal if we continued it, but now we have other funding arrangements (because we have no choice).

Legend002
Legend002 like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 2 Like

Did they really expect Nintendo kiddies to donate? lol

poster012
poster012

@Legend002  The people who were fans of Eternal Darkness (a game that came out over 10 years ago) aren't kiddies.... We're adults living in our parents' basement. Get it right, fool.

SavoyPrime
SavoyPrime ranger like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 4 Like

They weren't going to make the goal anyway on Kickstarter or their official page. I wonder what they are going to try this time to garner more interest...get rid of Denis Dyack? XD

eva02langley
eva02langley

Okay guys, this is enough with that Kotaku BS! Once again, just allegation without facts or truth. Silicon Knight have been audit by Canada Revenue Agency numerous time... and you know what, nothing as been found. If you back this whole hate nonsense over the Kotaku article, then you are the kind to believe that the government is behind 9/11.

silvergol
silvergol like.author.displayName 1 Like

@eva02langley WAIT! YOU are using Kotaku article like reference?!

hahahahahahahahaha!

eva02langley
eva02langley

@silvergol@eva02langleyCRA... a Kotaku like reference...? The taxes are now not even a point? Pal, if Silicon Knight was a money hungry company, the Canadian government would had find something over the years with this sudden magic money appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm6gGFLMr_o

check 16:55... like it or not, this whole BS about SK being a crook entity fall apart at this exact moment. Just stupid internet propaganda that nobody want to analyze further. Well, this is what we get for having too much dumb people on internet.

eol_is
eol_is

Well, if you're gonna do big changes, might as well do it early. 

eva02langley
eva02langley

I just heard about the bad news. I which I would have posted this earlier, but I was busy.

I want to thanks the team at Precursor for being incredibly kind for accepting my request of signing my new copy of Eternal Darkness that I bought on ebay after the revealing Shadow of the Eternal on IGN. I was so excited that I did the impulsive purchase... and I am so glad I did.

I don`t care what others are saying, only down to earth people could have done something like that. A project like SotE should not have to go through all the struggle that it is facing today.

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/486/hpim0991m.jpg


Cyberjin
Cyberjin like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 4 Like

Crowdfunding (fail) > Kickstarter (fail) > Relaunch Kickstarter (=?)

thetravman
thetravman like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 3 Like

Probably not the case, but I hope Nintendo decided to publish and co-develop the game like last time with Eternal Darkness. I want this game to be as good as it can be.

Thanatos2k
Thanatos2k

@thetravman Nintendo doesn't trust Dyack and friends, not after the royal screw job they gave them after Twin Snakes.

eva02langley
eva02langley

@thetravman I really do believe it could be the case. The studio always had good relationship with Nintendo.

Mac8457
Mac8457 like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 2 Like

@thetravman That would make too much sense. Nintendo never does anything that makes sense... But I do agree that would be awesome.

Godly_Kongming
Godly_Kongming like.author.displayName 1 Like

Do any of you even KNOW how kickstarter works?  You dont lose your money UNLESS it meets its FULL goal......

So its not like it was a scam or something...jesus.

I really hope the news is that its NOT a WiiU exclusive garbage.  PS4 please!

blueinheaven
blueinheaven like.author.displayName 1 Like

@Godly_Kongming There's absolutely nothing at all scamlike about selling a digital copy with digital extras that cost devs the princely sum absolutely nothing for ten thousand dollars. Nope, no scam going on there at all. The most fucking expensive DLC known to man and DLC in itself is designed purely to rip people off.

shingui5
shingui5

@blueinheaven @Godly_Kongming 
i was going to reply sensibly to your comment, then i read this: 

"and DLC in itself is designed purely to rip people off."

and realised there's little point. 

keech
keech like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 4 Like

Glad to see the gaming community at large didn't buy into this crap.  Almost a month and they didn't even hit the $300 thousand mark, they weren't going to reach the $1.5 mil goal and they knew it.

eva02langley
eva02langley

@keech They did my dear Kotaku bot. Once again, just allegation without facts or truth. Silicon Knight have been audit by Canada Revenue Agency numerous time... and you know what, nothing as been found, but a stupid Kotaku journalist find the buried treasure in a dumpster and spread the good news like the mormons!

keech
keech like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 2 Like

@eva02langley @keech Didn't need Kotaku to tell me Silicon Knights was in the gutter.  Playing Too Human told me everything I needed to know.  The failed lawsuit spawned by Dyack's ego that totally blew up in his face and killed his company vindicated my suspicions just fine.  Lastly the fact that there was no chance they were going to meet their funding goal in the 2 weeks they had left just shows I'm not the only one who didn't believe a word that Precursor or Dyack spewed.

blueinheaven
blueinheaven like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 2 Like

There's something embarrassing about developers constantly begging for money on Kickstarter. Most of them are already rich but they want Joe Bloggs in the street to put their hands in their pockets so they can buy another house in the sun.

The whole concept totally blows imo and it has been abused to hell and back by big names seeing an opportunity to clean people out.

Thegamer16
Thegamer16 like.author.displayName like.author.displayName like.author.displayName 3 Like

@blueinheaven 

I wouldn't go so far as to say most game devs are rich...

Yeah they make more than average, but most of the good ones worked their tails off to get where they are. And who knows how the closure of Silicon Knights effected this bunch financially. 

I really don't get the negativity surrounding this whole campaign, Eternal Darkness was a great game. If you can recommend someone better than the original creators (who worked with Nintendo) to make it, I'm all ears. 

blueinheaven
blueinheaven like.author.displayName 1 Like

@Thegamer16 @blueinheaven I liked the original game it wasn't the concept of a sequel I have a problem with it's the fact no publisher in the world would touch it so they went begging that bothers me.


WhitGameR44
WhitGameR44

@blueinheaven Totally!  It has nothing to do with game creators wanting to create a specific type of game that big publishers don't wanna fund.  No no no! Its totally all about greed!

Conversation powered by Livefyre

Hot Stories

Newsmakers

  • Blizzard starting over on next-gen MMO?

    Blizzard starting over on next-gen MMO? Thumbnail

    [UPDATE] Source says team of 100 developers working on upcoming MMO reduced by 70; game now expected in 2016 at the earliest; Blizzard confirms "large design and technology changes." Full Story

    • Posted May 28, 2013 4:36 pm PT
  • Industry sounds off on violent games debate

    Industry sounds off on violent games debate Thumbnail

    Developers from Gearbox, Epic Games, and Blizzard challenge assertion that games cause violence; "It's like finding your dad's Playboys under the bed and blaming Playboy." Full Story

    • Posted May 29, 2013 7:46 am PT

Featured Stories

Submit News

Got tips? Send them in!