Respawn's Titanfall launching spring 2014 - Report
Game Informer leak reveals name, first details on debut project from studio founded by Call of Duty veterans.
The first game from Respawn Entertainment--the studio founded by Call of Duty co-creators Vince Zampella and Jason West--is called Titanfall and is coming to the Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC in spring 2014. That's according to the latest issue of Game Informer, obtained by a NeoGAF user.
"After a bitter split with Activision and Call of Duty, Respawn debuts its bold vision for next-gen multiplayer," the magazine's cover reads.
Respawn Entertainment trademarked the name Titanfall in April 2013.
The magazine contains numerous details concerning Titanfall, the first of which is that the project was originally targeted for current-generation systems. After realizing its ambitions were too grand for existing technology, Respawn looked into shifting to next-generation kits.
As was previously rumored, Titanfall will apparently be a first-person shooter that combines mechs (called Titans) and ground combat through player characters called Pilots. The game is supposedly being built on the Source engine and will run at 60 frames per second.
The Xbox 360 version is supposedly being developed by an external studio, though this outfit was not named.
The game will also reportedly use Microsoft's cloud technology for dedicated servers, physics, and artificial intelligence. According to the magazine, Titanfall is aiming for a vibe similar to films like District 9 or Blade Runner.
Respawn Entertainment was not immediately available to comment on the leak. The developer has previously teased that it will reveal its new project during next week's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.
Zampella hinted on Twitter yesterday that the new game will be shown during Electronic Arts' E3 2013 briefing on Monday, June 10. EA is publishing the studio's game through its EA Partners program.
"Some of the guys are working on a little surprise for the EA press conference on Monday," he said.
Hot Stories
Newsmakers
-
Blizzard starting over on next-gen MMO?
[UPDATE] Source says team of 100 developers working on upcoming MMO reduced by 70; game now expected in 2016 at the earliest; Blizzard confirms "large design and technology changes." Full Story
- Posted May 28, 2013 4:36 pm PT
-
Industry sounds off on violent games debate
Developers from Gearbox, Epic Games, and Blizzard challenge assertion that games cause violence; "It's like finding your dad's Playboys under the bed and blaming Playboy." Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 7:46 am PT
Featured Stories
-
Xbox One can talk - Report
Source says Microsoft currently testing Siri-like feature for next-gen platform and mode that allows friends to take over gameplay. Full Story
- Posted May 24, 2013 10:18 am PT
-
Video Games: The Movie hits funding goal
Mediajuice Studios' documentary on games gets $60,000 in funding in under two weeks; stretch goals revealed. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 8:17 am PT
-
Ubisoft: Console transition 'pivotal moment' for industry
CEO Yves Guillemot says new console cycle will be watershed moment for the industry; next-gen console installed base could double previous generation. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 11:28 am PT
-
Kaz Hirai: PS4 is 'first and foremost' a video game console
Sony CEO asserts the PlayStation 4 as primarily a gaming console, but adds that more non-game functionality will be revealed in time. Full Story
- Posted May 31, 2013 4:01 am PT
-
Zombies sell, says Take-Two chief
CEO Strauss Zelnick says "I'd like to do zombies in everything." Full Story
- Posted May 30, 2013 7:59 am PT






