Nintendo won't develop smartphone games - Report
Despite Pokemon Android and iOS app, Nintendo spokesperson Yasuhiro Minagawa says Japanese game giant will only ever make games for its own systems.
With the nearly 200 million iOS devices sold, and some 500,000 Android devices being activated every single day, smartphones have a user base that dwarfs even that of the mighty DS. Despite that, Nintendo is not going develop games for those platforms any time soon.
Earlier this week, there was speculation that Nintendo would be entering the smartphone game sector, when the Pokemon Company announced its plans to bring an official Pokemon app to iOS and Android devices. However, Nintendo spokesperson Yasuhiro Minagawa explained that Nintendo only owns a minority stake (32 percent) of the Pokemon Company, and that it remains an independent studio.
Minagawa recently told Bloomberg that the company's strategy to develop games only for first-party hardware "hasn't changed and won't change."
This news comes just a day after Nielsen released a study that found that games are the most popular application type on smartphones, outpacing weather, social networking, and navigation apps.
Content you might like…
Users who looked at this article also looked at these content items.
Hot Stories
Newsmakers
-
Blizzard starting over on next-gen MMO?
[UPDATE] Source says team of 100 developers working on upcoming MMO reduced by 70; game now expected in 2016 at the earliest; Blizzard confirms "large design and technology changes." Full Story
- Posted May 28, 2013 4:36 pm PT
-
Industry sounds off on violent games debate
Developers from Gearbox, Epic Games, and Blizzard challenge assertion that games cause violence; "It's like finding your dad's Playboys under the bed and blaming Playboy." Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 7:46 am PT
Featured Stories
-
Xbox One can talk - Report
Source says Microsoft currently testing Siri-like feature for next-gen platform and mode that allows friends to take over gameplay. Full Story
- Posted May 24, 2013 10:18 am PT
-
Video Games: The Movie hits funding goal
Mediajuice Studios' documentary on games gets $60,000 in funding in under two weeks; stretch goals revealed. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 8:17 am PT
-
Ubisoft: Console transition 'pivotal moment' for industry
CEO Yves Guillemot says new console cycle will be watershed moment for the industry; next-gen console installed base could double previous generation. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 11:28 am PT
-
Kaz Hirai: PS4 is 'first and foremost' a video game console
Sony CEO asserts the PlayStation 4 as primarily a gaming console, but adds that more non-game functionality will be revealed in time. Full Story
- Posted May 31, 2013 4:01 am PT
-
Zombies sell, says Take-Two chief
CEO Strauss Zelnick says "I'd like to do zombies in everything." Full Story
- Posted May 30, 2013 7:59 am PT







