Future Zelda titles sticking with Skyward Sword slashing
Zelda series producer says "we cannot go back to button controls now"; utilization of Wii U's touch screen in question.
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was not the first Zelda title to hit the Wii, but it was the first to be developed from the ground up with motion controls in mind. It likely won't be the last, as series producer Eiji Aonuma was so pleased with the results that he never wants to go back to traditional controls.
Speaking to the UK edition of the Official Nintendo Magazine, Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma said, "I honestly think we cannot go back to button controls now, so I think that these controls will be used in future Zelda titles, too."
This raises questions about the series' eventual debut on the Wii U. Previously, Aonuma said that the Wii U's tablet would provide players with new ways to interact with the gameworld, although it's unclear how that will work with the Wii Remote (which will also be compatible with the Wii U).
The latest entry in the series, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, marks Link's return to the Wii in his first mainline game since Twilight Princess, which launched alongside Nintendo's current console in 2006. Link's latest adventure sees the Wii's motion-sensing capabilities put to use in a new combat system. Beyond giving Link new ways to cut up the usual assortment of carnivorous plants, disembodied eyeballs, and orcish monsters, the game features new gadgets and abilities for the lithe protagonist to employ.
For more on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, check out GameSpot's review.
Content you might like…
-
News Update - Zelda Wii U

Hear the latest rumours on what may or may not be in the upcoming Zelda for Wii U!
- Sep 5, 2012
Users who looked at this article also looked at these content items.
Hot Stories
Newsmakers
-
Blizzard starting over on next-gen MMO?
[UPDATE] Source says team of 100 developers working on upcoming MMO reduced by 70; game now expected in 2016 at the earliest; Blizzard confirms "large design and technology changes." Full Story
- Posted May 28, 2013 4:36 pm PT
-
Industry sounds off on violent games debate
Developers from Gearbox, Epic Games, and Blizzard challenge assertion that games cause violence; "It's like finding your dad's Playboys under the bed and blaming Playboy." Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 7:46 am PT
Featured Stories
-
Xbox One can talk - Report
Source says Microsoft currently testing Siri-like feature for next-gen platform and mode that allows friends to take over gameplay. Full Story
- Posted May 24, 2013 10:18 am PT
-
Video Games: The Movie hits funding goal
Mediajuice Studios' documentary on games gets $60,000 in funding in under two weeks; stretch goals revealed. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 8:17 am PT
-
Ubisoft: Console transition 'pivotal moment' for industry
CEO Yves Guillemot says new console cycle will be watershed moment for the industry; next-gen console installed base could double previous generation. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 11:28 am PT
-
Kaz Hirai: PS4 is 'first and foremost' a video game console
Sony CEO asserts the PlayStation 4 as primarily a gaming console, but adds that more non-game functionality will be revealed in time. Full Story
- Posted May 31, 2013 4:01 am PT
-
Zombies sell, says Take-Two chief
CEO Strauss Zelnick says "I'd like to do zombies in everything." Full Story
- Posted May 30, 2013 7:59 am PT






