EA killing Online Passes for existing games
Publisher confirms it is retroactively eliminating online passes for all EA titles beginning with EA Sports games.
In response to consumer feedback, Electronic Arts has announced it is doing away with its controversial Online Pass scheme altogether. Previously, the company said only that future titles would not include Online Passes. Now, the move will be applied retroactively, beginning with EA Sports titles.
"As we discontinue Online Pass for our new EA titles, we are also in the process of eliminating it from all our existing EA titles as well," EA corporate communications representative John Reseburg told Game Informer. "We heard the feedback from players and decided to do away with Online Pass altogether."
"Players will see it first with some EA Sports titles, where a prompt to enter an Online Pass code will no longer appear in-game; with other titles we are simply making Online Passes available free of charge online," he continued. "These are rolling updates that are taking effect over the next several weeks. We hope players continue to enjoy our games and online services for a long time to come."
Online Passes have often been viewed as ways for developers and publishers to offset the financial shortfall of not seeing revenue when games are traded in and resold through retailers.
See more coverage of the PS4 » See more coverage of the Xbox One »
Content you might like…
Users who looked at this article also looked at these content items.
Hot Stories
Newsmakers
-
Blizzard starting over on next-gen MMO?
[UPDATE] Source says team of 100 developers working on upcoming MMO reduced by 70; game now expected in 2016 at the earliest; Blizzard confirms "large design and technology changes." Full Story
- Posted May 28, 2013 4:36 pm PT
-
Industry sounds off on violent games debate
Developers from Gearbox, Epic Games, and Blizzard challenge assertion that games cause violence; "It's like finding your dad's Playboys under the bed and blaming Playboy." Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 7:46 am PT
Featured Stories
-
Xbox One can talk - Report
Source says Microsoft currently testing Siri-like feature for next-gen platform and mode that allows friends to take over gameplay. Full Story
- Posted May 24, 2013 10:18 am PT
-
Video Games: The Movie hits funding goal
Mediajuice Studios' documentary on games gets $60,000 in funding in under two weeks; stretch goals revealed. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 8:17 am PT
-
Ubisoft: Console transition 'pivotal moment' for industry
CEO Yves Guillemot says new console cycle will be watershed moment for the industry; next-gen console installed base could double previous generation. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 11:28 am PT
-
Kaz Hirai: PS4 is 'first and foremost' a video game console
Sony CEO asserts the PlayStation 4 as primarily a gaming console, but adds that more non-game functionality will be revealed in time. Full Story
- Posted May 31, 2013 4:01 am PT
-
Zombies sell, says Take-Two chief
CEO Strauss Zelnick says "I'd like to do zombies in everything." Full Story
- Posted May 30, 2013 7:59 am PT







