2008 April 15 - Hey Burnout fans, we've got 3 brand new FreeBurn game modes in the final phase of testing here at Criterion.
We'll be ready to bring these to you guys as part of our Cagney software update, but in the meantime, we've got all the detail you need on the first new gameplay since Paradise hit the shelves back in January.
Here's how they work:
Just hit the Easydrive menu, set up a Freeburn Game Mode then fire off Online Stunt Run, Marked Man or Road Rage – obviously there's no loading!
Online Stunt Run
- This is 8-player simultaneous online Stunt Run – everyone competes for the highest score within the 2 minute time limit and you can play anywhere in Paradise City.
- An on-screen display shows all player scores, so you can easily see how you're doing.
- Earn multipliers for taking each other out but you lose your combo score, if you're taken down.
- Eliminated players are greyed out of the scoring area but can exact brutal revenge by chasing after players that have managed to keep their combos alive beyond the time-out.
- For the first time, you can drive alongside someone as they complete a billion score in Stunt Run - you can absolutely use this mode to try and show off to your friends.
Online Road Rage
- This is an 8-player online team event.
- At the start, everyone chooses their team (red or blue).
- One team of "runners" has to drive to a checkpoint then the finish – they can only see one checkpoint ahead.
- The other team has to take them down. These guys can see the checkpoint and finish and choose whether to wait and ambush in key locations, shortcut to the action if they get left behind or just follow the pack and cause chaos.
Online Marked Man
- We randomly choose a "Marked Man".
- There's an intense few moments, while all players wait for the selection to be made – you want to stay close to other players, so you can hit the Marked Man, as soon as he's selected but far enough away that that you can run like hell if it's you that's the Marked Man.
- The target is selected and a 90 second timer starts – you get 1 point if you survive and 1 point if you take down the Marked Man. After 90 seconds a new Marked Man is selected at random.
- If you're the Marked Man, you can't see the attacking players on the map, your car is a little slower and you don't get boost.
- The session usually consists of around 10-12 minutes of intense gameplay depending on the number of players involved.
And this is just the start – we aim to bring you many new Freeburn game modes covering different themes and play styles.
Over the next 12 months, we're going to transform the Burnout Paradise you know and love into the Burnout Paradise you only ever dreamed of!
Avalanche Studios co-founder says developer's ambition is for action, not moments that make players cry; steampunk-style game on hold. Full Story
- Posted May 15, 2013 6:33 am PT
4A Games creative director Andrew Prokhorov thanks Jason Rubin for telling the studio's story, but says, "We deserve the ratings we get." Full Story
- Posted May 16, 2013 12:44 pm PT