Capcom's six-month revs up, profits down
Dead Rising 2, Super Street Fighter IV help lift publisher's revenue 4.7 percent to $502 million, but Lost Planet 2 underperformance cuts into income.
Today, Capcom announced its financial results for the April-September reporting period, and as could be gleaned from recent headlines concerning the publisher, the results were mixed. For the six months, Capcom saw revenue rise to ¥40.7 billion ($502 million), a 4.7 percent increase over the same period a year ago. However, net profits saw a substantial slide, falling 39.9 percent to ¥1.78 billion ($22 million).
For the good, Capcom saw strong performances from a number of its releases during the period. Earlier today, the publisher announced that Blue Castle Games' zombie-slaughtering action adventure game Dead Rising 2 had shipped 2 million units. (The studio is now known as Capcom Game Studio Vancouver, following Capcom's acquisition of it in September.) According to financial statements released today, the game has sold 1.8 million units through September.
Capcom also continued to see production out of Super Street Fighter IV, which was released stateside in April. The revised and well-regarded fighter has sold 1.4 million units through September, a performance Capcom called strong. Other performance matching or besting titles released during the period were Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes and Monhan Nikki Pokapoka Airu Mura, both of which sold more than 500,000 units.
The bad can be summarized by Capcom's announcement earlier this month that it would be trimming its outlook on the weakness of Lost Planet 2. Released to weak reviews in May, Lost Planet 2 sold 1.5 million units through September, a figure Capcom today called a "substantial underperformance." Other reasons for the profit shortfall were Dead Rising 2's delay from late August to late September and a "sharp appreciation" of the yen, the publisher said.
Capcom still expects to come out ahead by the end of its in-progress fiscal year. Through March 31, 2011, the publisher expects annual sales to have hit ¥91.0 billion ($1.12 billion), with profits projected to come in at ¥6.5 billion ($80 million).
Hot Stories
Newsmakers
-
Blizzard starting over on next-gen MMO?
[UPDATE] Source says team of 100 developers working on upcoming MMO reduced by 70; game now expected in 2016 at the earliest; Blizzard confirms "large design and technology changes." Full Story
- Posted May 28, 2013 4:36 pm PT
-
Industry sounds off on violent games debate
Developers from Gearbox, Epic Games, and Blizzard challenge assertion that games cause violence; "It's like finding your dad's Playboys under the bed and blaming Playboy." Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 7:46 am PT
Featured Stories
-
Xbox One can talk - Report
Source says Microsoft currently testing Siri-like feature for next-gen platform and mode that allows friends to take over gameplay. Full Story
- Posted May 24, 2013 10:18 am PT
-
Video Games: The Movie hits funding goal
Mediajuice Studios' documentary on games gets $60,000 in funding in under two weeks; stretch goals revealed. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 8:17 am PT
-
Ubisoft: Console transition 'pivotal moment' for industry
CEO Yves Guillemot says new console cycle will be watershed moment for the industry; next-gen console installed base could double previous generation. Full Story
- Posted May 29, 2013 11:28 am PT
-
Kaz Hirai: PS4 is 'first and foremost' a video game console
Sony CEO asserts the PlayStation 4 as primarily a gaming console, but adds that more non-game functionality will be revealed in time. Full Story
- Posted May 31, 2013 4:01 am PT
-
Zombies sell, says Take-Two chief
CEO Strauss Zelnick says "I'd like to do zombies in everything." Full Story
- Posted May 30, 2013 7:59 am PT






