Sunnyvale, California - August 16, 2005 - Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced the release of Darkwatch for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox video game system from Microsoft. Developed by High Moon Studios, Inc., Darkwatch is an immersive FPS (first person shooter)that blends the lawless action of the Wild West with the thrilling horror of vampire movies. Darkwatch is now available at retailers across North America and carries an "M" rating for mature audiences by the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board).
Darkwatch is a mysterious secret society that has protected humanity from evil since the dawn of civilization. Their newest and most deadly agent is Jericho Cross, an outlaw gunslinger pulled into their ranks after an unfortunate close encounter with a vampire lord. As the one responsible for unleashing the vampire and his minions on the West, Jericho must use his new vampire powers to hunt him down to prevent the American Frontier from being overrun by the undead, and to save his own soul from eternal damnation.
"Capcom is set to turn the first person shooter genre on fire as Darkwatch is released upon the masses," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom Entertainment. "Featuring blood thirsty vampires, the old wild west, stunning visuals and spot on gameplay, Darkwatch will be an experience that gamers can't wait to sink their teeth into."
"This is the ultimate milestone for every game development company," said Rick Olafsson, CFO and COO, High Moon Studios, Inc. "Today is when our video game, one that has been years in the making, leaves the hands of its creators hopefully to affect the hearts and minds of many gamers. With all of the elements of a high-caliber, memorable entertainment experience in place, and with the great supportCapcom has given the title, we believe Darkwatch will establish itself as a successful franchise."
Darkwatch promises a cinematic video game experience with remarkable game play variety in a FPS. With Jericho's supernatural abilities, mysteriously advanced weaponry, shattering melee attacks unique to each weapon, armed vehicles and a deadly demon steed, players lay waste across a Wild West infested by Vampires and other supernatural creatures. Darkwatch introduces a dynamic reputation and experience system where the choices the player makes lead to different paths and supernatural vampire abilities. The experience is further enhanced with location-specific damage, letting players tear apart the undead, and innovative use of Havok physics for dynamic objects that can be improvised as weapons.
Darkwatch includes the following features:
- First ever Vampire Western game - Blast through a frightening re-imagination of the Wild West with exceptional art and design work inspired by both Vampire-Horrorand Western genres
- Console specific content – For the Playstation 2, gamers can experience the exclusive War Train level, two players split screen co-op mode through the entire story campaign and utilize special Splitter Grenades. For the Xbox, upto 16 players can experience adrenalin-fueled online multiplayer combat via Xbox Live
- Cinematic experience - Explosive FPS action framed by a cinematic storyline
- A diverse arsenal of "Darkwatch-enhanced" weapons - Take the "un" out of "undead" in a variety of ways with a wide assortment of weapons including rapid-fire handguns, dual-wielding pistols, rifles, shotguns, crossbows, rocket-launchers, dynamite and even weapon-specific melee attacks
- Dynamic game play- Experience non-linear missionsand a dynamic enemy reputation and experience system that affects player abilities and game outcome
- Unique weapons, powerful assault vehicles, horse-mounted gun fighting and special vampire abilities bring new depth to FPS gameplay in both single and multiplayer mode
- Location-specific damage and physics powered by Havok bring precision and realism to gunplay – tear the undead to pieces, blow off their heads, shoot out their feet from under them, or practice your aim on countless interactive environment objects
About High Moon Studios, Inc.
High Moon Studios, Inc. is an independent video game development company. Headquartered in the coastal city of Carlsbad in San Diego County, California, High Moon employs over 100 game developers at a state-of-the-art, fully equipped development facility. High Moon is best known for its highly-anticipated first-person shooter "Darkwatch" (www.darkwatch.com), and is currently working on additional original properties for this and next-generation video game consoles.For more information on High Moon Studios, please visit www.highmoonstudios.com.
Capcom is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment. Founded in 1983, the company has created world renownedfranchises including Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Breath of Fire, Devil May Cry and the Onimusha series. Headquartered in Osaka, Japan, the company maintains operations in the U.S., United Kingdom, Germany, Tokyo and Hong Kong. More information about Capcom and its products can be found on the company's web site at www.capcom.com.
Avalanche Studios co-founder says developer's ambition is for action, not moments that make players cry; steampunk-style game on hold. Full Story
- Posted May 15, 2013 6:33 am PT
4A Games creative director Andrew Prokhorov thanks Jason Rubin for telling the studio's story, but says, "We deserve the ratings we get." Full Story
- Posted May 16, 2013 12:44 pm PT