All the latest from the GameSpot Live team on what's going on behind the scenes of Today On the Spot, plus more info and video not likely found anywhere else on the site.
Other Site Blogs
You wake up in an unknown facility, in a medical gown and nothing else. The cold sense of reality sets in; you don't know your...
Two lucky World of Warcraft fans have gotten their hands on some really cool TOTS prizes. If you missed it in the show, here is a look at the World of Warcraft plushies and in-game critters. Congrats to our winners: Richard Leong and Jason Li!
If you enjoyed the Just Cause 2 demo from TOTS last week, take a look at the extended seven-minute version!
Shaun McInnis talks with George Wright from Square Enix for an in-depth demo of Just Cause 2. George shows off some of his grapple and parachute skills both around the environment and in combat!
With the new season of TOTS already underway, it looks like 2010 is going to be another great year for games. With games like Army of Two: 40th Day, Mass Effect 2, Dark Void Zero, MAG, and BioShock 2 all coming out in the first two months in 2010, it's a great way to start the year. It may be an expensive start, but it's a great start nonetheless.
If you've been checking for updates on winner announcements from recent episodes, here you go!
The winner of the Alienware Laptop and Dirt 2 PC bundle is: Justin Thomas.
The winners of Dirt 2 for the PC:
The winner of GameSpot's 2009 Game of the Year Demon's Souls: Jeffrey Chu.
The winner of Final Fantasy: Crystal Bearers and signed poster: Evan Thom.
Congrats to all of our winners and to those who have yet to win something. Don't worry: We've got a ton of cool stuff lined up for nearly every show that we have booked in the foreseeable future.
As always, let us know what you think about the show or anything you'd like to see on it by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or one straight to me: email@example.com. Enjoy the show!
The video production staff members have hundreds of videos to create for the Best of 2009 feature, but they still made time to air the last Today on the Spot episode for the year and have plans to also host two more Now Playing episodes. Keep an eye on the TOTS page for the latest news about the Now Playing episodes. Needless to say, they have been super busy, but that doesn't mean you won't see any cool features!
Here are the latest ones that stand out.
Behind the scenes with James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
If you are anticipating the film's release this Friday, you should take a look at this feature that takes you behind the scenes with Ubisoft and James Cameron. [direct link]
Starting Block - Modern Warfare 2
Ryan Mac Donald shares some beginner tips about the multiplayer aspect of Modern Warfare 2! [direct link]
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Easter Eggs & Trivia
Tyler Winegarner also shares some easter eggs in Modern Warfare 2! [direct link]
Tekken 6 National Tournament
GameSpot staff heads down to the Tekken 6 National Finals in San Francisco and shares the results. [direct link]
Below is a list of the latest winners who participated in Today On the Spot Trivia Time!
December 10 - Tales of Monkey Island Codes
Andrew Lyall Andrew Seto
Cyle Aaran Moore
Edward Da Silva
Evertte O riley
Wei jian Deng
December 8 - World of Warcraft & Zelda Books
During the Saturday, December 5 episode of Today on the Spot, we gave away retail codes of Comet Crash on the PlayStation 3.
Comet Crash is real-time strategy that offers tower defense gameplay. The game also includes competitive and cooperative online modes with up to four players.
Here are the winners!
John P. Rahimi
Last week we rolled out a major update to our video player. In fact, we rebuilt it from the ground up. Here are some of the improvements and changes we've recently made.
Bigger Is Better: We've increased the size of our standard videos from 480px wide to 640px wide. In addition, this means we've opened up the 700k bitrate to all users.
Cleaner HD: The HD button now expands the player on the page, rather than reloading the entire page. This will get you back and forth between our two player sizes that much more quickly.
Larger Toolbar: We've made our user-interaction toolbar larger and moved it to beneath the player, as well as increased the size of the buttons and icons. Plus, we've added a new Twitter button for those of you who are into that sort of thing.
More Menu Options: Our Advanced Options menu will give you full control over customizing your video experience. We offer five different bitrates now and three different streaming options. You can read more about all of it in our new FAQ. Plus, we've added a new player icon to let you know what bitrate you're watching at all times.
Bigger Embedded Video: We've increased the size of our embedded video player, as well as included an option to grab an extra-large 640px wide player. Both of these players can be grabbed from the Embed menu.
Cleaner GameSpot Integration: We've cleaned up wherever you see the player embedded into our own stories and articles. We've removed the advertisement that sat beneath the player, thus decreasing the overall height of the area.
Behind the Scenes: We're now operating off of Flash Player 10, the most recent and robust version of Adobe's ubiquitous media software.
We're committed to bringing you the best video quality possible in the best viewing experience possible, and we've got some other plans down the road that we're excited about. Of course we know our work will never be done (we're working on fixing a nagging issue for Chrome browsers right now), so keep giving us your feedback.
Earlier this week Ryan Mac Donald was throwing his hands up in the air with anticipation for the release of Modern Warfare 2. His anticipation was so overwhelming that he posted three videos in his blog. The pre-launch video has a quick comparison about real guns. The game launch video shows what went down at the GameStop store located in downtown San Francisco.
Lastly, there is also an aftermath video in which Homer Rabara and Ryan Mac Donald share their reactions to the night-vision goggles that were included in the Prestige edition of Modern Warfare 2.
There are a few features you might have missed recently. Let us know what you think and if you would like to see more of them!
Sophia Tong invaded Chow.com's kitchen to test the culinary pros in Food Network: Cook or Be Cooked. The feature displays a comparison on how real this game is compared to cooking in real time. Be sure to share this feature with any of your culinary friends!
In honor of the upcoming release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, we had to relive our favorite moments from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
GameSpot often has games we play so much that it ruins our social lives. The 10 games in this feature scare us because we love them so much. Nothing else seems to matter when we're playing them.
Our recent interview with Jordan Thomas for BioShock 2 yielded these two excerpts, where he described two non-player characters that you will meet in BioShock 2. There were no assets to go along with these, and their inclusion would have made the final video quite lengthy, but we just thought they were too interesting not to post at all.
Last Friday's one hour game play marathon for Brutal Legend was well received; Tim Schafer and Erik Robson from Double fine dropped by to talk about the game. What was even more exciting those who had a chance to win a Brutal Legend figure based on participating in the trivia. We'd like to give a shout out to Jaes Overley and Jeremy Magobet for answering the question accurately in a timely manner.
Here is a quick rundown about how you can enter GameSpot's Today on the Spot's Core i Sweepstakes.
- United States resident at least 18 or older
- Registered user
- 1 Monitor
- 1 Computer
How to Enter:
- Login to your GameSpot account
- Answer the questions presented during the following Today on the Spot episodes: October 8, October 15, and October 22 at 4:00 PM PT. The answers to the Sweepstakes questions must be posted on the RULES page under the comments field, -or- follow the instructions on how to enter by watching the TOTS show. Therefore, if you post your entry in any other areas on the site outside the trivia module or the sweepstakes rules page, your post will not be considered as an entry for this sweetpstakes.
- Note that there are only 3 entries per person; one entry per episode dates listed above.
Have a question? Feel free to ask them in the comments. Reminder: Entries in this announcement are subject for removal. Please post your submissions on the RULES page.
Good luck to everyone!
The "Core i" for the Gaming Guy or Gal Sweepstakes
Official Sweepstakes Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MUST BE LEGAL RESIDENT OF ONE OF THE 50 UNITED STATES OR D.C., 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AT DATE OF ENTRY INTO SWEEPSTAKES. VOID IN PUERTO RICO, ALL U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Sponsor and Administrator: CBS Interactive Inc. ("CBSI"), 235 Second Street, San Francisco, California 94105 (the "Sponsor").
Prize Provider: Ibuypower.com, 11581 Federal Drive, El Monte, CA 91731.
Sweepstakes Entities: CBS Interactive Inc. and Ibuypower.com
1. Acceptance of Rules. By entering the "Core i" for the Gaming Guy or Gal Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") operated on the CBSI Web site accessible at the domain "gamespot.com" (the "GameSpot Service"), you hereby accept and agree to these official rules (the "Official Rules") of this Sweepstakes, and the decisions of the Administrator in connection with this Sweepstakes, whose decisions are final.
2. Eligibility. This Sweepstakes is offered and open to persons who are (a) Registered users of the GameSpot Service (b) legal residents of one (1) of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia; and (b) at least 18 or older at the date of entry in this Sweepstakes.
For purposes of these Official Rules, "Registered User" means a person who has successfully completed the registration form and has obtained a User Identification ("ID") and associated password ("Password") on GameSpot.com.
If you are not a Registered User you may become a Registered User and obtain an ID and a Password by completing the GameSpot Service registration form by going here, and clicking on the "Sign up" link at the top of the page. There is no fee or charge to become a Registered User.
Employees and directors, and their immediate family members, of the Sweepstakes Entities, and their parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies, advertising and promotion agencies and legal and financial advisors are not eligible to participate in this Sweepstakes. For purpose of the foregoing "immediate family" means parents, spouses, children, siblings or any members of the same households of such employees and directors. This Sweepstakes is void outside of the 50 U.S., in Puerto Rico, all U.S. territories and possessions and where prohibited by law.
3. Promotion Period. The Promotion begins on October 8, 2009 at 8:00:00 AM ET and ends at 12:00:00 PM ET on October 29, 2009 (the "Promotion Period").
4. Entering the Sweepstakes. To enter this Sweepstakes register into the GameSpot Service, sign into the community/blog area of the "Today on the Spot" show (the "Show") on the GameSpot Service and answer the questions presented during the Thursday's airing of the Show. The Shows involved in the Sweepstakes are the Shows that will air on October 8, 15 and 22 of 2009 at 4:00 PM PT. The answers to the Sweepstakes questions must be entered on the blog entry form associated with the Sweepstakes. There will be one new question presented each Thursday during the Promotion period. Limit one comment/entry per person per show. Entries in excess of the allowed limit per show will be disqualified. Limit of 3 entries per person for the entire Promotion Period. User information will be verified through a validated GameSpot account.
5. Prize. The prize (the "Prize") consists of one (1) Monitor and Computer with the new Core i processor; the Prize includes an intel eye seven eight seventy cpu, cooled by a asetek liquid cooler, four giga bytes of ram, a GTX285 video card, a one terra byte Solid State eighty giga byte harddrive, an LG blue ray reader, 12 in 1 card reader, plus it comes with an Ibuy power mouse and keyboard, and a 24" monitor. The approximate retail value of the prize is Three Thousand Dollars (US$3,000.00).
6. Prize Restrictions. No assignment, transfer, conversion to cash or cash redemption or substitution of the Prize is permitted, except Administrator reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a prize of comparable or greater value should the Prize become unavailable. Prize is solely for personal use and may not be used in conjunction with any other promotion. All prize details are at the sole discretion of the Sweepstakes Entities.
7. Odds/Drawings/Winner Notification. Odds of winning the Prize depend on the number of eligible entries received during Promotion Period. On or about October 31, 2009 the Prize drawing will be conducted by Administrator, whose decisions are final and binding in all respects. The potential Prize Winner will be announced live during the October 31, 2009 Show and notified through the internal messaging system on the GameSpot Service. Potential Prize Winner will be asked to provide their personal information such as their name, email address, physical address, date of birth and phone number in order to confirm eligibility and compliance with these official rules. If the potential Prize Winner cannot be reached after a reasonable effort has been made during three (3) business days from the first notification attempt, such person may be disqualified, with an alternate Prize Winner selected in accordance with these Official Rules.
8. Prize Taxes. All federal, state, provincial, local and other tax liabilities arising from this Sweepstakes, including, without limitation, winning the Prize, will be the sole responsibility of the Prize Winner.
9. Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release and Publicity Release. A Prize Winner may be required to complete, execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release, and where lawful, a Publicity Release (collectively, the "Release Forms") within five (5) days of notification of winning. Failure to return Release Forms timely, or if Prize notification or the Prize is returned as non-deliverable, or if a Prize Winner is found not to be eligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules, may result in disqualification with an alternate Prize Winner selected in accordance with these Official Rules.
10. Publicity Release Terms. Except where prohibited by law, a Prize Winner's acceptance of a Prize constitutes permission for the Sweepstakes Entities to use Prize Winner's name, photograph, likeness, statements, biographical information, voice, and address (city and state) worldwide and in all forms of media, in perpetuity, without further compensation.
11. Improper Conduct. Administrator, in its' sole discretion, may disqualify any entrant from participation in or use of any or all portions of this Sweepstakes, and refuse to award the Prize, if entrant engages in any conduct Administrator deems to be improper, unfair or otherwise adverse to the operation of the Sweepstakes or detrimental to other entrants of the Sweepstakes. Such improper conduct includes, without limitation, falsifying personal information required during entrant registration or Prize claim, violating any term or condition stated herein, accumulating entries through methods such as automated computer scripts or any other programming techniques, allowing others to use entrant's personal information for the purpose of accumulating entries, or intentionally trying to defraud, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise tamper with the computer programs in connection with this Sweepstakes. Entrants agree that Administrator may void any part of a Prize that entrant may have won and/or require the return of any part of a Prize that entrant may have won as a result of such improper conduct. Entrant further acknowledges that any forfeiture of the a Prize and/or return of a Prize shall in no way prevent Administrator from pursuing other avenues of recourse such as criminal or civil proceedings in connection with such conduct. WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, EACH OF THE SWEEPSTAKES ENTITIES RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR SUCH ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
12. Integrity of Sweepstakes. If, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned by reason of infection by computer virus, worms, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which Administrator, in its sole opinion believes could corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, Administrator reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Sweepstakes and select the Prize Winner from entries received prior to the action taken or in such other manner as Administrator may deem fair and appropriate.
13. Lost or Corrupted Entries. The Sweepstakes Entities, and their parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and advertising and promotion agencies, assume no liability and are not responsible for, and you hereby forever waive any rights to any claim in connection with, lost, late, incomplete, corrupted, stolen, misdirected, illegible or postage due entries or mail, if applicable; or for any computer, telephone, cable, network, satellite, electronic or Internet hardware or software malfunctions, unauthorized human intervention, or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry or other information, or the failure to capture any such information. The Sweepstakes Entities, and their parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies, advertising and promotion agencies, are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by registration information submitted by end users or tampering, hacking, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Sweepstakes, and assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to the Sweepstakes.
14. Damaged Property. Sweepstakes Entities, and their parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and advertising and promotion agencies, assume no liability and are not responsible for, and you hereby forever waive any rights to any claim in connection with, injury or damage to any entrants or to any other person's computer or property related to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes or downloading materials from this Sweepstakes.
15. Sweepstakes Errors. The Sweepstakes Entities, and their parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and advertising and promotion agencies, assume no liability and are not responsible for, and you hereby forever waive any rights to any claim in connection with, errors and/or ambiguity: (a) in the Sweepstakes; (b) in any related advertising or promotions of this Sweepstakes; and/or (c) in these Official Rules. In the event of any ambiguity(s) or error(s) in these Official Rules, Administrator reserves the right to modify these Official Rules for clarification purposes or to correct any such ambiguity or error(s) without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Sweepstakes.
16. Prize and Prize Winner. The Sweepstakes Entities, and their parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and advertising and promotion agencies, assume no liability and are not responsible for, and you/entrant hereby forever waive/s any rights to any claim in connection with, the selection and announcement of the Prize Winner, the distribution of the Prize, the acceptance/possession and/or use/misuse of any part of the Prize and/or any injury or damage to any entrant's or third person's property related to or resulting from any part of the Prize or any part of this Sweepstakes.
17. Release and Indemnity. Each entrant in this Sweepstakes, including, without limitation, the Prize Winner, hereby releases and agrees to hold harmless the Sweepstakes Entities and their parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies and their respective directors, officers, employees, representatives and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind to person, including death, and property, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the Prize, participation in this Sweepstakes and participation in any activity related to this Sweepstakes.
18. Limitation of Liability. IN NO EVENT WILL THE SWEEPSTAKES ENTITIES, THEIR PARENTS, AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES AND RELATED COMPANIES, THEIR ADVERTISING OR PROMOTION AGENCIES OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS, BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SWEEPSTAKES OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM THE SWEEPSTAKES. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
19. Disclaimer of Warranties. THE SWEEPSTAKES AND PRIZE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
20. Identity Disputes. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a winner based on an email address, the winning entry will be declared made by the Authorized Account Holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. For purposes of these Official Rules, "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
21. Binding Arbitration. The parties waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules and/or this Sweepstakes. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or this Sweepstakes shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of California, in the City of San Francisco and judgment on the arbitration award may be entered into any court having jurisdiction thereof.
22. Governing Law and Jurisdiction. This promotion is governed by US law and is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited by law. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and Administrator in connection with this Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California, U.S.A., without giving effect to the conflict of laws rules thereof, and any matters or proceedings which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in Section 21 of these Official Rules and/or for entering any judgment on an arbitration award, shall take place in the State of California, in the City of San Francisco.
23. Winner List/Official Rules. For the name of the Prize Winner send a self-addresses stamped envelope for receipt by November 30, 2009 to "Winner's list, The "Core i " for the Gaming Guy or Gal Sweepstakes c/o CBS Interactive, Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, California 94105. For Official Rules send a self-addressed stamped envelope to the above address marked "Official Rules: The "Core i" for the Gaming Guy or Gal Sweepstakes for receipt by October 31, 2009. The full name of the Prize Winner may be posted and the Official Rules will be posted on the GameSpot Service.
We'd like to congratulate the following winners for participating in recent trivias held on Today on the Spot.
September 24 - Dirt 2 Retail Copies
Charles Pierson Jr.
September 29 - Zombie Apocalypse Game Codes
October 6 - Tekken 6 Console Goodies
For further information on how to participate in future episodes of Today on the Spot drop by this page .
In the last couple episodes of Today On the Spot, we've been teasing a grand trivia competition for a super rad PC that was supposed to begin today. Unfortunately, there was a disconnect between us and our legal team (contests can be very complicated legal affairs), and as a result, we've had to delay this competition until next Thursday.
Sorry to everyone who tuned in today for the content!
Here is a quick rundown on some recent TOTS winners!
September 10 - Shanker & Secret World BagUpcoming this week! Copies of Dirt on all platforms! Stay tuned.
September 12 - Wet & Left for Dead 2 T-shirt
September 15 - Ninja Gaiden Art books
September 22 - Mafia 2, Bioshock 2 or Borderlands stationary bundle
GameSpot's WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 Draft episode had four questions with 20 prize bundles up for grabs.
Here are the questions with the answers for those of you who participated.
Who first pinned perfect?
Answer: Hulk Hogan
Who was the first ladies champ?
Answer: The Fabulous Moolah
Which title did Chris Jericho win in 2000?
Answer: He won the European title
Who won the heavyweight belt more times than anyone?
Answer: Triple H
Congrats to the following the following winners!
William Tyson Jr.
Here are the winners from Saturday's Today on the Spot episode.
Saturday Sept. 12th Winners
You were both contacted about confirming your mailing addresses. If you did not receive an email about this please send me a PM.