Blizzard's next MMOG already playable
COO Paul Sams confirms that the World of Warcraft-maker's next big project, code-named Titan, has reached an advanced stage of development.
Last year, Blizzard Entertainment cofounder Frank Pearce confirmed that his company's new massively multiplayer online game was code-named "Titan" as had been indicated by a purportedly leaked Blizzard release schedule. That schedule had the game arriving in the fourth quarter of 2013--over two years away.
However, just because the game may be so far off doesn't mean that it still isn't coming together. Speaking with industry site Gamasutra, Blizzard COO Paul Sams said that the MMOG--which he did not reference by its code name--is already playable.
"We're playing it already. It is a total ball to play," he said. "We think that the reach of that product is greater than anything that we've done before. We're very excited about that. I believe that it's the type of game that will have a very long life, much like World of Warcraft has."
Sams went on to say that Blizzard hopes the new MMOG--rumored to have a first-person perspective--will eventually outgrow World of Warcraft, which he still believes has many more years in it. "The thing that we hope will happen is that it will not stop World of Warcraft, but we believe will eclipse it," he said, before adding, "So, hopefully in 10, 15 and 20 years, that [new MMOG] will still be growing strong and will have set a new mark in the industry for that type of product."
The past several years have seen a steady drip of information about Blizzard's next MMOG. In 2007, the company confirmed that a non-World of Warcraft MMOG was in development. In 2009, the company admitted the game was an all-new property with, according to Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick, "a little more broad appeal."
Content you might like…
Users who looked at this article also looked at these content items.
Hot Stories
Newsmakers
-
Preowned games on Xbox One decided by publisher
Microsoft confirms that it won't charge any fees for any titles eligible for resale. Full Story
- Posted Jun 6, 2013 4:00 pm PT
-
Microsoft confirms required 24-hour check-in for Xbox One
Playing Xbox One games on somebody else's console will also require a check-in every hour. Full Story
- Posted Jun 6, 2013 3:41 pm PT
Featured Stories
-
Harmonix: Rock Band will return
Company CEO Alex Rigopulos says studio will return to the franchise "at the right point in time." Full Story
- Posted Jun 4, 2013 7:30 am PT
-
Pachter: Publishers won't block Xbox One used games
Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter believes any publisher that disables used gaming runs risk of significant backlash or boycotts. Full Story
- Posted Jun 7, 2013 6:32 am PT
-
Zelda director wants to make something new
Eiji Aonuma says with only about 10 years left in the business, he wants to make something other than Zelda; Link to the Past 2 contains "surprise" that will "shock" gamers. Full Story
- Posted Jun 6, 2013 5:51 am PT
-
Wii U Basic stock being 'rebalanced,' not discontinued
Nintendo says customers looking for the Wii U Basic models "will continue to find them available." Full Story
- Posted Jun 5, 2013 3:04 pm PT
-
Respawn's Titanfall launching spring 2014 - Report
Game Informer leak reveals name, first details on debut project from studio founded by Call of Duty veterans. Full Story
- Posted Jun 6, 2013 7:05 am PT






