Do we really need more of this...

#1 Posted by Nude_Dude (5371 posts) -

I mean seriously, people complain that Mario's last proper 2-d platformer was Super Mario Land 2 of '93. So what does Nintendo do? NSMB. It's actually a pretty cool platformer, a Mario encyclopedia if you will.

Now we've got NSMB, NSMB wii-heey (urgh), Super Mario 3D Land (what is this, SML3? Isn't that one Wario Land? How is it reminiscent of the original Super Mario Land games?), NSMBU and NSMB2. All of them almost identical to one-another. Oh yeah, there's the 3d gimmick, now the lotsa coins and gold gimmick...did they run out of ideas over there at Nintendo? 'Cause they seem to be bashing the Sequel button, and I don't see them pulling off another SMG 2. 

Not to mention they keep pulling ideas out of the '80-'90 games - half the screenshots here depict some SMB3 aspect, half some SMW characteristic.

Enough already!

*runs* 

#2 Posted by Mugiwara-Kitten (1 posts) -
Nintendo seems to think we do need more of this. If you have had your fill of Mario and the similarity of his games, do not buy. Simple.
#3 Posted by Nude_Dude (5371 posts) -
I liked the part where you assumed this thread revolved around my personal conflict of whether or not I should buy more Mario games, while ignoring the fact that this thread seeks to initiate a discussion about the fact that Nintendo rehashes past games and overfeeds its fans of the same thing over and over again.
#4 Posted by dark_surge (626 posts) -
I see what you're saying but you can't really change a Mario platformer that much before it stops being Mario. I enjoy playing the games and they haven't been releasing them to the point where I get sick of them so I don't mind a new game every year or so as long as they take a 2-3 year break every once in a while to stop the Mario market from becoming saturated and bland.
#5 Posted by ChiefFreeman (5524 posts) -

I agree with the TC.  Mario games are dull,  boring retreads of the past recycled over and over again.  The Nintendo kids just can't come to grips with that.

#6 Posted by CactusJack13 (14 posts) -
We need to complain to nintendo about their lack of good games in eshop and this matter as well. sometimes I don't know what they are doing.
#7 Posted by peachfanstar (6 posts) -
It is a LOT more than 2. It is a game with many prequels. It started with Mario Bros. in 1983, then Super Mario Bros. in 1985, then Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1988, the Super Mario Land in 1989, then Super Mario World in 1990, then Super Mario Land 2 in 1992, then New Super Mario Bros., then New Super Mario Bros Wii in 2009 and finally Super Mario 3D Land in 2011. And that is just the main ones. Some other games may well have inspired it, if one has the vast numbers of coins, add it.